Trapshooters Forum banner
101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
I know the TS shell catcher was around in the mid 1970’s when I got into trap, I had them on my 1100’s and a Beretta semi auto.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I guess I am one of the picky ones. Shortly after I got my Latest K gun, a noob with a Benelli bounced a hull off the pistol grip. Nice little divot on the stock. I sent the gun in soon after to get 20, 28, and 410 barrels fitted. "Oh, while you have it, how about fixing the divot on the pistol grip?". No problem, two weeks later I got the gun back with a $250 bill for the stock repair.

When a hull hits a $45,000 shotgun, it can get expensive. He!! no, I won't get on the line with an auto unless it has a shell catcher. If you don't like that, read the rule book and take your inconsiderate a$$ to another field, or I will.

Don't give me any grief, or I will tell you how I really feel. LOL

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
Birchwood shell saver.

·
Registered
26,297 Posts
There is only one rule that would apply to semi automatics, which Is disrupting the harmony of the shoot. That can be subjective. The person or persons getting hit (if they are) would have to voice their objection to getting pelted with empties. My semi autos have deflectors that cause the empty to land at my feet, and I have one that tosses the empty past the microphone, so nobody gets hit when I shoot. There is no way I can disrupt the harmony of the shoot.
Section IV. I. 15. Is in play.

Reactions: Rick Barker

·
Registered
72 Posts
Boy this one s going to catch it!

I think many on here are under the mistaken idea that auto shotguns are new to the sport. Go back to the 90's and before and you will find that they were the predominant shotgun. The 1100 is the original trap and skeet shotgun and in those days people were thought less of by shooting over under guns, especially in the 1960-1980 range.

The situation is reversed and a lot of people sound like the British shooters I have seen, " only a peasant would shoot a auto or all auto's should be banned". Bull.

Like many things in this world, every first time shooter should be taught the etiquette and manners of the game, and it is a game after all. New auto shooters should be taught about the ejection of shells, shell catchers and they should be placed where they do not interfere with other shooters. I have found shooters that do not mind shells flying their way and put them to the right of new auto gunners. This also applies to over under shooters. It takes time to clean up a field, don't eject your hulls to look cool, eject them in you hand and carry them away with you. All gunners should have respect for the club and the range. Talking and cutting up should be stopped before it starts not because it is a rule, but because it is rude by interfering with another shooter. Many young shooters are still this way after shooting for some time.

The point is people should help new shooters and help promote our sports. If they act rude or disorderly, throw them off the grounds!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts

I think many on here are under the mistaken idea that auto shotguns are new to the sport. Go back to the 90's and before and you will find that they were the predominant shotgun. The 1100 is the original trap and skeet shotgun and in those days people were thought less of by shooting over under guns, especially in the 1960-1980 range.

The situation is reversed and a lot of people sound like the British shooters I have seen, " only a peasant would shoot a auto or all auto's should be banned". Bull.

Like many things in this world, every first time shooter should be taught the etiquette and manners of the game, and it is a game after all. New auto shooters should be taught about the ejection of shells, shell catchers and they should be placed where they do not interfere with other shooters. I have found shooters that do not mind shells flying their way and put them to the right of new auto gunners. This also applies to over under shooters. It takes time to clean up a field, don't eject your hulls to look cool, eject them in you hand and carry them away with you. All gunners should have respect for the club and the range. Talking and cutting up should be stopped before it starts not because it is a rule, but because it is rude by interfering with another shooter. Many young shooters are still this way after shooting for some time.

The point is people should help new shooters and help promote our sports. If they act rude or disorderly, throw them off the grounds!

Agreed. Banning autos is probably the only way forward.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I shoot 391's, I sent my barrels to Tron and he welded a spot on the barrels and problem solved. If I am shooting with a barrel without this fix, I use a rubber band, have had no issues. I have rubber bands with me and have shown others how effective they are.

As far as releasing, At the moment the gun left of me fires I release mine, ezzy peezy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What happened to the days of shooters helping new shooters and instructing them.

In these days and times we need all the shooters that we can get to keep the sport alive and clubs open

I don’t like what I see and hear from some of my fellow shooters today. Seems they are more interested in running the new guy or part time people off, instead of helping them.

We should be encouraging them and helping them. I remember we I only shot borrowed guns and could barely afford to shoot. Maybe we should think about how we started and all the help we received. Some of us if we look back at ourselves didn’t know any better than the people that are being complained about here. Many of were lucky enough to have some one who was as kind enough to take us under their wing and teach us better.

My 1st trap gun was a Super X. I remember getting a TS shell catcher and they were hard to find back then. Remember getting the barrel drilled for a wire catcher and getting a deflector so I could shoot doubles.

Remember retiring from the Army and going to the Grand and buying a new 391 when they 1st came out.

Now days I shoot a High Tech RS that I purchased this year. Far cry from a Super X which I wish I still had.

Wouldn’t be shooting today if it wasn’t for encouragement, and coaching from veteran shooters back in the day.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
What happened to the days of shooters helping new shooters and instructing them.

In these days and times we need all the shooters that we can get to keep the sport alive and clubs open

I don’t like what I see and hear from some of my fellow shooters today. Seems they are more interested in running the new guy or part time people off, instead of helping them.

We should be encouraging them and helping them. I remember we I only shot borrowed guns and could barely afford to shoot. Maybe we should think about how we started and all the help we received. Some of us if we look back at ourselves didn’t know any better than the people that are being complained about here. Many of were lucky enough to have some one who was as kind enough to take us under their wing and teach us better.

My 1st trap gun was a Super X. I remember getting a TS shell catcher and they were hard to find back then. Remember getting the barrel drilled for a wire catcher and getting a deflector so I could shoot doubles.

Remember retiring from the Army and going to the Grand and buying a new 391 when they 1st came out.

Now days I shoot a High Tech RS that I purchased this year. Far cry from a Super X which I wish I still had.

Wouldn’t be shooting today if it wasn’t for encouragement, and coaching from veteran shooters back in the day.
Sure we want to encourage & assist new shooters but not all new shooters come with the right frame of mind & can put a damper on an increasingly costly day at the trap field.
I always try to lend the new guy some support & a few lessons in line etiquette. Doesn't take long to realize who's interested & who's there to goof around.
I was surprised to see a good shooting buddy take his hunting gun to the line & for the entire trap kept spraying empties all around another veteran shooter who obviously had the patients of Job.
I mentioned it to the offending shooter which replied I dont shoot this gun here very often. :confused: ???
Flash photography Sleeve Gesture Dress shirt Collar

·
Registered
58 Posts
Or if your like me and shoot an 1100, just take the o-ring out and make it a single shot. Takes a gun with no recoil and makes it even less, plus your not hurling shells onto your neighbor. Problem solved for free!

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I really never say much on here but this is something that really burns me up. Why if you choose to use a automatic don't you put a shell catcher on it, If its all you got. You should before coming to a meet or club have it on there. No one wants to have shells hitting them, or in my case last week hitting my gun. Just had to get this said, probably wont get to the people that need to here it.
Is your real name Anne?

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I stand by what I said, and if I am going to get a new shooter started with whatever type of gun he has, I do not shoot with him. If he has an auto and wants to shoot trap, I make sure he understands that hitting another shooter or his gear with empties is not funny, and inform him the of the options of a rubber band or shell catcher.

I have one auto, a 20 ga 391 Sporter. Although I do not care for autos, with a #65 stock drop shim set, it fits so well I cannot bring myself to let it go. I shoot it about once a year on the Sporting course. Usually shoot it by myself, to avoid hitting other shooters or their guns.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
I guess I am one of the picky ones. Shortly after I got my Latest K gun, a noob with a Benelli bounced a hull off the pistol grip. Nice little divot on the stock. I sent the gun in soon after to get 20, 28, and 410 barrels fitted. "Oh, while you have it, how about fixing the divot on the pistol grip?". No problem, two weeks later I got the gun back with a $250 bill for the stock repair.

When a hull hits a $45,000 shotgun, it can get expensive. He!! no, I won't get on the line with an auto unless it has a shell catcher. If you don't like that, read the rule book and take your inconsiderate a$$ to another field, or I will.
I have read the rule book and in a half century I am guessing I have read it a Hell of a LOT more times than you ! There is NOTHING and repeat NOTHING that says a semi auto has to have a "shell catcher" , so for those who reading comprehension was not their best subject I will repost it from the ATA Rule book HERE AGAIN --pg. 16 para. ".All guns used by contestants must be equipped, fitted and utilized so as not to EJECT empty shells in a manner that substantially disturbs or interferes with other contestants." Nothing about a shell CATCHER !!! I have a shell DEFLECTOR on my 391 that I sometimes use for doubles . It is one that Tron installed for me, and it tosses the hulls about two feet froward of my tight foot and doesn't get them anywhere NEAR the shooter on the next post ! You may be a COACH but, evidently one who doesn't have a clear understanding of the the rules !!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts

While I love 1100's and own one, they are NOT the original Trap or Skeet gun. Both games were being shot long before the 1100 was introduced in 1963. :unsure:

I can't think of any shooter that doesn't mind hulls flying at them, and this is coming from a guy who has experienced 7.62 brass and links raining on him from MG positions to his left. NOBODY likes being pelted with hulls, and when your gun has wood on it worth far more than the gun that's pelting it, I understand why people get upset when it happens.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Slide Action, the deflector you are describing is what I’ve always heard called a “knock down pin”. A few years ago, I was the tournament director at a satellite Grand. I was asked for an opinion about these things. In my view they meet both the spirit and the letter of the ATA rule. They work well.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I scored a squad in our interclub league today and one of the shooters had a semi auto with a deflector that threw the hull backwards at almost 45 degrees. The spent shell did not hit any other shooters. No problem, but at the end to the 2 rounds on my field he just walked away leaving the spent hulls on the ground.
If your gun is going to throw spent hulls on the ground it means that someone is going to have to pick them up. If the club does not have paid trap people it means that its more work for club members. Try and leave the trap field cleaner than you found it. It only takes a short time to pick up hulls and put in the bins provided at each trap position at the end of your round or stay for a short time after the shoot and help tidy up.
Devonian.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I scored a squad in our interclub league today and one of the shooters had a semi auto with a deflector that threw the hull backwards at almost 45 degrees. The spent shell did not hit any other shooters. No problem, but at the end to the 2 rounds on my field he just walked away leaving the spent hulls on the ground.
If your gun is going to throw spent hulls on the ground it means that someone is going to have to pick them up. If the club does not have paid trap people it means that its more work for club members. Try and leave the trap field cleaner than you found it. It only takes a short time to pick up hulls and put in the bins provided at each trap position at the end of your round or stay for a short time after the shoot and help tidy up.
Devonian.
One club I shoot at has magnetic pick up sticks on each field.

I have one of these on my Christmas list.....

Pocket Pick Stick

$29.95

Available from Shotgun Sports Magazine

Where it will join this handy little wad "knocker" in my vest pocket when I'm shooting one of my semi's.....

P.S. I use a catcher/rubber band for singles Trap. But....for the other games......

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Agreed. Banning autos is probably the only way forward.
I think banning arrogant uninformed people who Instead of" knowing" and applying the RULES in a practical manner that is workable , want to MAKE UP their own because they have a haughty elitist attitude would do the sport a much better favor !

101 - 120 of 166 Posts