Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really never say much on here but this is something that really burns me up. Why if you choose to use a automatic don't you put a shell catcher on it, If its all you got. You should before coming to a meet or club have it on there. No one wants to have shells hitting them, or in my case last week hitting my gun. Just had to get this said, probably wont get to the people that need to here it.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,408 Posts
Isn’t it fun having all those hulls flying at you. Oh I’ve seen it all the time. They come to your trap range, either by themself, or with a trap shooting friend. They are usually a sporting clays shooter. Used to letting them fly. If they are with a friend, even the friend has no idea that it’s so distracting to fellow shooters. Beside hitting the person next to you or their guns, these people lack proper trap etiquette. Talk on the line. Set off birds. I can’t believe the trap range master didn’t explain to these people trap range etiquette and about shell catchers and their use. I keep several wide rubber bands at my range to put on these sporting clays guns.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Isn’t it fun having all those hulls flying at you. Oh I’ve seen it all the time. They come to your trap range, either by themself, or with a trap shooting friend. They are usually a sporting clays shooter. Used to letting them fly. If they are with a friend, even the friend has no idea that it’s so distracting to fellow shooters. Beside hitting the person next to you or their guns, these people lack proper trap etiquette. Talk on the line. Set off birds. I can’t believe the trap range master didn’t explain to these people trap range etiquette and about shell catchers and their use. I keep several wide rubber bands at my range to put on these sporting clays guns.
Is the rubber band placed near the front of the shell port? How wide a rubber band works best? I have an older friend who wants to shoot trap with his pristine condition model 1100 and I want to make sure he doesn't fling shells at other shooters. I am fully aware of trap etiquette.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I've been on both sides of this issue.

When I was a kid more than 35 years ago the only gun I had to try shooting Trap with was an 1100 field model. While the ejected hulls weren't hitting anyone else on the line I must admit they were a distraction. In the days before Internet, you had to rely on what information you could find or were offered locally. None of the experienced shooters offered any advice on shell catchers, rubber bands, or anything else - they just complained that I needed to get a different gun. Well, I'd spent pretty much everything I had available on the 1100, and couldn't afford to buy something else. Since the 1100's primary purpose was hunting, I ended up giving up on trap and walking away. Life got in the way, and when I had the money to pick up a different gun and start shooting again I didn't - for decades. Just too many other things to do.

Shot a couple rounds with a couple guys that had never shot Trap before last weekend. When they showed up on the field, the range governor when over the basics with them, and when they went to shoot they lacked situational awareness about what was going on when they weren't the ones shooting. Talking aloud to each other across stations, laughing, congratulating each other when they would break a target, etc. Meanwhile, for the shooter who was getting ready there are birds randomly getting called by this jabber. Several of us ended up dropping targets because we just tried to persevere through the chaos.

In both cases above, all that was needed were a few words of advice instead of complaining. In the latter case I was able to offer these newcomers that advice off the line and they got it and likely won't behave in such a manner again. In the former case no one offered me advice on how to use what I had without distracting with ejected shells, and it caused there to be one less Trap shooter for decades. We need as many people in the discipline as we can get, and offering a few kind words of advice and the context about why making a change will matter to the fellow shooters might further that end.

·
Banned
12,991 Posts
Never seen a automatic shotgun used for trap shooting.
Keep working at it you’ll get that post count up their yet.
Seen it plenty at our club. Original poster has a valid point to bring up regarding semi-automatics, commonly known as automatics. They are distracting to other shooters because empties hit you, your gun or land in front of you. Pretty soon you are paying attention to empty hulls instead of targets.

Talking to auto shooters as soon as they arrive at the club is a great solution, especially if you have rubber bands to give them to keep the empties under control. Take it one step further and pull up on your phone shell catchers they can install to fix the problem more permanently.

·
Registered
26,243 Posts
But this is something we have never discussed before.
You DO know that history doesn’t happen until and unless it directly effects you. Right? That’s a lot of what’s gone wrong in the USA Today. History and the lessons of history are not taught.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had the pleasure to shoot ATA doubles last weekend with an automatic on my left. Got hammered with hulls, had to move gun rest pad so that my gun did not get hit. Hulls flew past my face, over my head and all the way to the next post. Hulls hit my legs, back and the side of face. Found out later he had an automatic with knock down and an O/U with him that he has shot for doubles. Said he needed to get it fixed so that it didn't throw shells. He knew better, but didn't care. Sweet revenge was I tied for my class and he shot like crap...lol!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I really never say much on here but this is something that really burns me up. Why if you choose to use a automatic don't you put a shell catcher on it, If its all you got. You should before coming to a meet or club have it on there. No one wants to have shells hitting them, or in my case last week hitting my gun. Just had to get this said, probably wont get to the people that need to here it.
Agree 100%..I have been shooting my 1100 & 1187 for the last two yrs or so for the soft recoil because of back issues..shell catchers on both..would not use them without..they also both have knock down pins

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Musical instrument accessory Revolver Trigger Automotive exterior Air gun

Well I shoot Remington Auto’s and most likely will continue since it’s all I have shot for 40 plus years. Yes I use shell catchers T & S Shell catchers and I’m down to my last one as they were bought out by Birchwood Casey and are out of stock. I like to have a spare as they do break. My Guns have Very Nice Wood also and if a auto is throwing shells at me I just turn away from them when there shooting to protect my gun, just common sense.
After the round I will show them my shell catcher and tell them they should probably pick one up also and I have yet to have someone not tell me anything negative, and most appreciate me telling them and showing them My shell catcher.
I never want to discourage a new shooter to the sport as I want the sport to grow.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I see it alot, and it distracts me. Been hit several times. What i do now is when it's there turn i back up a few steps hoping they get the message. They still don't get it!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
The youth team coach has a rule if you don't have a shell catcher on your gun you put a rubber band on it or you don't shoot. If he sees a hull fly during practice he will stop the shooter till they find a rubber band. His thoughts he preaches it is RUDE and DISTRACTING to other shooters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is a common occurrence at our club, but I always assumed at bigger club/sanctioned event/registered targets that some sort of shell catching mechanism would be required. I’m surprised to hear it’s an issue everywhere

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
Another subject that has been BEATEN to death ! Everybody knows OR SHOULD KNOW that it is a problem letting hulls hit someone But, the Anti -Auto crowd always uses this as "No autos " argument. Yes you should have EITHER a shell Cather OR a deflector PIN . Since you can't shoot doubles with a shell catcher the deflector pin is the option there .Tron makes one for Berettas and Rem. 1100s They work great. I have one of his on a Beretta 391 and it throws the hulls just forward of my feet and the ejected sells don't hit ANYBODY ! I made my own for my 1100 using a dab of industrial apoxy . Semi Autos have been in this game for over 100 years and they are not going away. A little common sense and courtesy will take care of the problem . Use that and everybody should be happy ( well almost everybody I guess ) !

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Generally, when someone shows up with an autoloader, we encourage 4 people to shoot so there is no one standing in the way. Newbees usually get informed as to what they need to ensure courtesy of their fellow shooters and seem to eventually comply.

Courtesy Counts! Some clubs have long yardage posts close to benches and people gather to carry on conversations with long yardage shooters just a few feet from them is the most discourteous thing I usually have to wade into!

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
This is a common occurrence at our club, but I always assumed at bigger club/sanctioned event/registered targets that some sort of shell catching mechanism would be required. I’m surprised to hear it’s an issue everywhere
From the ATA rule book ----"All guns used by contestants must be equipped, fitted and utilized so as not to eject empty shells in a manner that substantially disturbs or interferes with other contestants." Nothing about a shell CATCHER being required , Just that the gun must have a device that keeps hulls must be ejected in a way not to interfere with other shooter So EITHER a knock down device or a catcher.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
My semi auto an Auto5 is set up to not eject at all, I have to open the bolt after every shot to remove the empty and reload. Yet I have had people screaming at me that I need a shell catcher on it to shoot with them. No matter what they are sure since it is an auto it is going to throw empties. Even when the shooter squaded to my right is on my side saying it will not throw empties and if it did he would be the target those screaming keep on screaming.

So I think it is just a snobbery thing, "Shooting that low end gun in OUR high-end sport!"

If it is a problem educate the person.
Even if it could be a problem unless you are the effected party let it go,
If it gets in your head you are done before we start! I don't try to get in people's heads but if I happen to? Sit back and enjoy the ride! I know I will!

Al

·
Registered
SKB 85TSS; Beretta 694
58 Posts
It’s kind of like being offended by something. If you want to be offended then you can be offended, but if you have some mental toughness then I bet you could block it out. I caveat that with “as long as shells aren’t hitting me in the face.”

Sounds a bit harsh but I guess I just don’t let it bother me.
What about ported bbls?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with the OP but I do understand newbies do have a learning curve. Usually all that is needed is kindly offered advice and the problem is solved. I have no reservations about shooting to the right of a properly equipped autoloader. My issue is with the the guy that doesn't give a rat's behind where the heck his shell ejects and feels it's not his problem. Fortunately those encounters are very rare.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
Something we all have to learn to live with & most guys are mindful of ejection issues. What bothers me is as a shooting pal sums it up “another jam a matic” . Squads moving along just fine & comes to a halt because of a jam. To be fair squads stop as often when O/Us get a squib due to loading errors or hulls getting stuck under the ejector. We’re most all sportsmen & should remember to act as such. Just remember not to screw with My Shooting Rhythm!

1 - 20 of 159 Posts