Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atlanta Snow/Ice Storm No. 2 On It

It's seems that Mother Nature will attempt to stop me from loading up the motorhome this week for my trek to Silver Dollar. Weathermen are predicting the second "major" winter storm to hit tomorrow night with snow then Tuesday night and Wednesday ice. We're ready to watch Atlanta Comic relief installment 2.

blade819

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
What is really funny--- In Atlanta you get an inch of snow and the whole area stops, 20 mile overnight traffic jams etc. Here in Michigan, we get a foot of snow and if you slide off the road you get a careless driving ticket.

TRUE STORY!!

Chuck

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Why is everyone so into saying 2 inch of snow caused all the problems? That was not the issue at all, it was the 2 to 4 inches of "ICE" under the snow that caused the problem.

I don't care who you are or where you are from, driving on solid ice ain't gonna happen for long.

Yes I was in the Atlanta area during the first event. 7AM raining and 26 degrees showing on my truck thermometer. The surroundings were still warm enough to melt the rain and sleet then the temp dropped very very fast and bam, there was the ice, then it snowed, as long as the snow was on the ice we could go, but when the snow blew away or packed down, well then you have "ICE".

No I did not get stranded, I saw what was happening and was very comfortable in my hotel suite for 1 and 1/2 days.

What happened on the Atlanta beltways was a combination of things, mainly being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and not paying attention to forcasts.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Quit whining blade. You've gotten spoiled since moving to GA. We have had 6" of snow on the ground now for well over a week and temps like this:
grntitan_2009_2503384.jpg

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I got to Atlanta on Monday morning before the storm. Got to the trade show about 9am and weather was fine, left at 5pm and about 1" or so of snow and a layer of ice under it. Was 4 miles back to the hotel and it took over 2 1/2 hr. to get to the hotel. People driving AWD's and were getting stuck and sliding into each other all over the place. They did not take off slow they just hammered it down and go all over the place. There were about 2000 accidents that afternoon. Some friends from the trade show hotel was 12mi. from the show didn't get back till 2:30 am. no public transportation or taxies were available. My son and I drove back over and took a some of the people we knew to their hotels. I had an AWD car and we drove around Wednesday and Thursday with no problems. The streets were deserted on Thursday and most of Friday. Those folks can't drive in bad weather. All the venders that drove were joking on Thursday that this was just winter driving up north.
Al Maly

·
Premium Member
18,864 Posts
Brrrrrr.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Shot a couple of rounds in Great Falls, Mt on Sunday. 0 and a breeze out of the east. The wife shot with me. After the second round we both decided to bag it.

Temp wasn't bad, but with that wind, it was too cool to shoot without gloves.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
539 Posts
K-Hornet, you are correct about the flatlanders around Atlanta. They can't drive worth a damn. Up here in the North Ga. mountains, we've been driving in this stuff all our lives. No much of a problem when you have experience driving in snow & ice like most folks around here do.

i_shoot

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMO it has little to do with driving experience. Put cars with just front wheel drive on ice/snow and they'll go no where. 4 wheels drives.... alittle further.
Tomorrow's oncoming ice storm is now being called catastrophic! My motorhome is "inside" the Ford garage getting a new alternator and I'm hoping to get out of here on Thursday afternoon to SD in FL.

blade819

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Even here where we drive in ice and snow every winter there are all kinds of wrecks and then they forget how to drive in it because when the next storm comes they wreck again.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gads! Now the Weathermen are calling the oncoming storm "Potentially Catastrophic"! Stay tuned.
blade819

·
Registered
563 Posts
Question? If all those people up north are such great drivers with snow and ice, why when they come to Florida they can barely do the speed limit? Is the sun glare too much for them?

Van

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SF SGM... the answer to your question is that instead of trying to drive on ice/snow, they can now look into their rear view mirror and comb their blue/gray hair. Seriously, they drive slow in the ice/snow also except no one cares.

blade819

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are a Golfer, the center of this storm is scheduled to go over Augusta National. Hopefully minimal damage but those magnolias and azaleas may suffer not to mention the Bermuda grass.

blade819

·
Registered
563 Posts
Blade,
Augusta National has bent grass and the greens have heating and cooling system under them. Can't say the same for those azaleas.

Van

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Blade If you want some snow I can go out in the backyard and get you a foot or so and still have a foot or more for myself. Having a heat wave tonight, -1 and I'm in Southern MI. Go north and get into the real winter.

See you at the Dollar I hope if I can get the MH out of the barn.

Don

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
C U @ Silver Dollar Don........eventually???? More worried about Southern Georgia than anything else. They are the ones that will really get the ice. I plan on pulling out Thursday afternoon but may have to wait until Friday.

blade819

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Blade,

Maybe you could give ice/snow driving lessons to those southern folks that have no idea. You once lived in an area that saw snow yearly. You could earn extra shooting money. Of course you'll probably lose all your hair from the stress.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts