Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a ATA event should targets be thrown on call using the mic system or is it permissible for scorers to release targets manually upon shooters call?
Im asking this because at a recent shoot on the last trap one of the mics batteries failed & the scorer started to manually pull the targets remotely upon call. Some affected squad members perceived a timing issue or delay, I felt the official who I learned too late had fresh batteries in hand should have paused the squad & changed the batteries. I searched the rule book for the answer but didn't see any.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
The ATA dosen't have professional scorers.
Problems with scorer's and trap help will continue until shooters want to pay extra for professional scorekeepers.

Your problem should be discussed with shoot management.
Henry

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The answer to your question is yes, it is permissible for the scorer to release the targets. Some clubs don't have any type of voice release.
Thank you, I thought this could be the case. I presumed the ATA would have a higher standard for their sanctioned targets. I still feel the scorer who has control of the field & batteries in hand should have paused the squad & corrected the issue on the two offending posts. As one might guess I was one of the two shooters affected by this.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
losclay,

You have the right to refuse to shoot slow or fast pulls. If you could not adjust to the slow pulls, you should have refused to shoot them. Then requested that the batteries be changed or get a new puller. If you fire at the target, the results are scored.

Jason

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
The Canterbury Voice Release manual button is not great.
Couple that with the fact that most kids who score have never had to hand pull targets and the results are not great.
Hard to match the 1/16 second delay built into the system.

If its my mike I ask for a replacement. I have never been refused a swap out.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
In a ATA event should targets be thrown on call using the mic system or is it permissible for scorers to release targets manually upon shooters call?
Im asking this because at a recent shoot on the last trap one of the mics batteries failed & the scorer started to manually pull the targets remotely upon call. Some affected squad members perceived a timing issue or delay, I felt the official who I learned too late had fresh batteries in hand should have paused the squad & changed the batteries. I searched the rule book for the answer but didn't see any.
There is "nothing" in the rules that says targets MUST be released by microphone. Heck it was only a few short years ago that mics came into being! A few shoots still use hand pulls ( although not many). You do have the right to refuse a slow pull but ,there is nothing about someones TIMING being thrown off by hand pulls. Manual or voice you are required to shoot IF the call comes out promptly on your command.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Post # 8 and 10 are correct ! Waverider ,I have news for you : U can request all you want ,the question is : will anybody do it ? If I'm the scorer and there are, let's say 10 or so targets left to throw on one station > hand pull .The same is, if somebody does not call loud enough and thinks the Mic is bad ,no dicussion > hand pull .

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I lost what looked like it was going to be 100 st. with a mike that was hard of hearing last fall,have lost quite a few because of that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That how we did it back in the day earlier 90ies. I worked at a trap range, when we sat in the house putting the bird on the machine by hand. I would sometimes pull and keep score, but found it frustrating with the older guys complaining about everything I did. As a 12 year old kid making two dollars a hour I tried everything I could to "do it right according to them". This is league night to not ATA. Finally a older guy pulled me off to the side and said son, " your doing fine, some people will never be happy." Now if there is a puller I'm nice to them. If they pull it to fast or slow, i don't shoot and simply tell them to fast or slow. No since in bitching at them. My 11 year daughter was thinking about working at the local trap I shoot at. I have reservations about this. The first one that makes her cry by going over board with how something its right will be talking to me when she is excused.

·
Registered
22,897 Posts
My 11 year daughter was thinking about working at the local trap I shoot at. I have reservations about this. The first one that makes her cry by going over board with how something its right will be talking to me when she is excused.
Bad attitude. Your kid will hate you later.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bad attitude. Your kid will hate you later.
No I have seen some guys go way over board when something doesn't go right. I should have clarified if it is her fault thats fine she needs a taking to. Then again I have seen people go after the puller when they are having a bad round etc.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Let's face it, we are all pretty spoiled. The new technology, while not perfect, is absolutely better than what we had years ago. A few short years ago we dealt with small imperfections in pulling without even really thinking about it. We knew it was the human element. Today, most of our pulls are perfect and it's easy to get used to that.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The solution is simple. If you will learn to leave when you see the target, it won't matter.

IMO, this is another basic fundamental of clay target sports, and is necessary if you ever want to reach your true potential in the game.

International skeet has a built in delay of up to 3 seconds (which can seem like an eternity), and you can be your ass that it WILL teach you to leave when you see the bird. If not, you're dead meat!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
32,289 Posts
If a mic cannot be repaired or replaced during a shoot, the other 4 should have been shut off and all 5 stations triggered by hand. Perhaps this should be made a rule for those that must have rules for everything. It would be fair.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
When involved in running an event I do everything I can to ensure shooters enjoy themselves.
Set the best target possible and address any equipment issues immediately.

If a trap or voice pull is an issue, it will be an issue for the next squad or event.

Its All good

West

1 - 20 of 26 Posts