Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it's certainly getting uglier. The ATA set a Dec. 15 deadline for IL. to make the decision to have the Grand American in 2016. The captain of our ship was given no satisfaction when he demanded some answers. The ATA will actively shop a reduced size event (that's old news to me) in the following states-Missouri, PA, OH and AZ if nothing positive happens before that date. If you're making travel plans you might want to wait. Can we imagine a Grand back in OH again??

·
Banned
495 Posts
oleolliedog, Yes I can imagine it,but I do not think it will happen in the near future. I do not think the CC wants it. They would have to eliminate some of their other schedule to squeeze in the grand venue. I do not think it would fit in with their best interests. If they do I will be there. Roger C.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oleolliedog, Yes I can imagine it,but I do not think it will happen in the near future. I do not think the CC wants it. They would have to eliminate some of their other schedule to squeeze in the grand venue. I do not think it would fit in with their best interests. If they do I will be there. Roger C.
I'll certainly be there if they decide on PA or OH. I'd probably seriously consider AZ too. It's crunch time!!

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
Why Dec. 15th ? With that date in mind it is easy for involved parties to procrastinate thru the holidays.It allows more time to lose contact with vendors and sponsors who are right now making plans for their upcoming year and budjets.

·
2,768 Posts
Well, we are looking forward to Sparta for our "Making Memories" vacation this summer, now that the Cancer is gone.

But, we would go to Missouri in a heartbeat (not that much farther from Florida, is it?) and, since the wife is from Pennsylvania, we probably would go there.

Arizona is a bit too far to drive for a two or two and a half week vacation, so that's out.

As for Ohio, absolutely no way we will go there. If you wonder why, just look at the posts on the "evil site." And, yes, I've been to the CC.

If the Grand is somewhere too far away or someplace we don't choose to go, we might try to catch a couple of State shoots, KY, MO, IL, or some similar places where we can do two shoots over a couple of weeks or so.

Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hmmm how hot would Arizona be in August???

How much lodging is available in Missouri in August, since that is a favorite vacation spot for weekend St. Louis boaters

What about Miamisburg instead of the cardinal center??

In Pennsylvania will we need to shoot with EuroTargets???

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
AZ would eliminate a lot if not most of the eastern shooters. Might make it but That's a LONG way out there! If it went to AZ, I'd probably save my money to shot a couple of large closer tournaments. I'd" probably" do OH if I just had to but, would much prefer MO.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I looked on the ATA web site and didn't see anything in their latest news about a December deadline. Where is this published?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
How are they going to pass out camp sites? Priority to those that had one in Sparta? Priority to the clubs seasonal renters? I can see it as being a major problem. I know many of you hold the campers in distain, but they do shoot a majority of the targets.

Problems, problems when will they ever end.

Don

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just don't see how the Grand could be up and running at another site in such a short order with all the bureaucracy, jumping through hoops, logistics to enlarge an existing club to handle a shoot of this size in a year after the closing of Sparta....The ATA might have to bow down, eat some humble pie at Mr Fishburns restaurant.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I stand with any decision ATA makes in dealing with the Illinois inept government concerning the Grand. I also support ATA's decisions that minimize government control of our future ATA plans and destiny.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
PA submitted their desire to hold some portion of the Grand months ago-so I'm told.

We can handle in excess of 600 squads/day. We've done it before under the guidance of our able ex-manager Chuck Fridges. It's a struggle though!!

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
Curious...seeing that these proposed venues already have their 2016 schedules established and that the site in Pennsylvania is already at capacity with its own State shoot and, how would ATA assure that the proposed "replacement" Grands would be "scaled down"?...a lottery for entries?
There will likely be three sites for a couple years if Sparta goes down. This in theory would spread attendance amongst these sites and thus, scaled down attendance.

Hmmm how hot would Arizona be in August???

How much lodging is available in Missouri in August, since that is a favorite vacation spot for weekend St. Louis boaters

What about Miamisburg instead of the cardinal center??

In Pennsylvania will we need to shoot with EuroTargets???
There is plenty of lodging available in Osage Beach and surrounding area. But, just like Vandalia you better not wait till the last minute to obtain.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts