Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any serious discussion about creating an official ATA App? While I'm an avid Trap Shooter and Life Member of ATA, I occasionally shoot skeet. I just downloaded their official NSSA and NSCA app and I was blown away. I would imagine that trap shooters outnumber the total of both skeet and sporting clays. We have more events than the two combined. I'm just wondering why we can't pull together some smart folks and develop an app at least as good as NSSA. On their app, I can see my official average card, see all the shoots in area and easily search for places to shoot all within the app. While I know I can do this from the ATA website, it would be nice to do it from a custom app. I will say the ATA website is far superior to NSSA but they have us beat in the app world. I just hate to admit that skeet shooters did something better than a trap shooter.

Cheers from Beavercreek, OH!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Here's where the shooting world needs to go...

With the advent of $200 Chromebooks and sub $300 tablets, think of the time and cost savings of realtime scoring. I understand some of the obstacles of weather, etc, however, the ability to score with the touch of a finger or stylus, send the signed scoresheet to the clubhouse electronically. Post the scoresheet to the shoot with the push of a button.

Now, when people want to talk about attraction. How about being able to watch an electronic scoresheet of your favorite shooter? Following a buddy at the grand? Looking in on a big gun at a shoot? These are things that capture the attention of the market today.

It's become pretty easy to implement technologically. Costs have come down enough where the technology would eliminate a pile of volunteers working feverishly.

I was very good friends with an outdoor writer from the Chicago Tribune once. Before outdoors, he was a sports reporter and before that an investigative journalist. He's been dead a decade, but a long time ago he told me that professional fishing would never take off unless they could somehow come up with statistics that could measure anglers performance. He contended that America is a world of stats junkies and the sports that succeed will have a stat basis from which to compare combatants. He was a visionary. Shooting is a perfect game for statistical comparisons, especially when you throw in handicaps. So, two things to make it appealing, make scores and standings instantly accessible, devise statistical relevance for competitive shooters.

Maybe trapshooting it too small to care, but if I were trying to move the sport forward, these would be some of the items I would be discussing and researching...along with your fine idea of an ATA app.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
73 Posts
ianeso.net does this for all the major indoor and world outdoor archery shoots. You can track live scoring at the event or from your home PC or smartphone. I often check live scoring from Vegas or Indoor Nationals. Nice feature when ya can't make the shoots!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Chip,

I think your statement "Maybe trapshooting it too small to care" Is out of line.

I can assure you that more then one person is and has looked into it. Presently cost is the prohibitive factor.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have stated before, the ATA needs to get their heads out of the sand and use all of the technology available today! There is NO excuse for their failure to do so! Instead of paying officers travel expenses, renting storage buildings, buying $14,000.00 dollar shotguns etc, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chip...great remarks. I believe such an app would in deed help move our sport forward. Like or not we are all wired and connected. ATA needs to keep pace with technology and use that same technology to attract younger shooters. We haven't taken advantage of social media or apps. I look at the ISSF Youtube videos for both ISSF Trap and Skeet and I get excited. It would be nice if ATA would at least attempt to do the same for some of the Grand and Regional Grand Events. As SpaceGun stated, if we can afford high dollar items, I'm sure we can all afford to chip in and help ATA deal with this issue. I'll personally pledge the first $1000 to ATA towards this project. Let's see if ATA even cares. Cheers T.I.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have spent considerable time looking into building one of these real-time systems. It would take cooperation and coordination from the ATA, each club, as well as the cashiering systems. Everything would need to be integrated from start to finish - to do it right, that means likely throwing away what is there now. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it would take a big commitment and most importantly, leadership.

@Tweintraub - As for an app, The Trap App is available in both the Android and Apple app stores. It was a Top 10 Sports App for all paid apps in Apple's app store. You can record scores, calculate averages, etc as it says in the app store descriptions. I'll say though, when you see the next version you'll be very happy!

I'll be glad to discuss further via PM if you have questions!

Dean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts