Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having difficulty pulling up the rule book pdf on my laptop.

This is my first year in the ATA so i admit that i do not know all the rules. Went to a registered shoot, out of town. i found it weird that they mixed registered shooters with non registered shooters. The guy keeping score did not call "loss" on loss birds. He intermittently walked up to shooters on the line during a post change and would ask "did you hit that last one"

The scorekeeper's son was also on my squad and the scorekeeper would frequently walk up behind him during a game and coach him on his misses which I found absolutely distracting not only seeing a body moving forward and backwards next to me but hearing him carry a conversation of his misses on the post next to me as im in the process of mounting my gun and calling for a bird.

Is this etiquette or is there some sort of rule/guideline?
Didn't want to say anything to them as I wasn't sure on the rules

·
Registered
32,257 Posts
Where was this shoot?

http://www.shootata.com/Portals/0/pdf/ata_rulebook_web.pdf

Section IV, G, 4 Combining registered and non registered shooters

Section IV, I, 3 Shoot management must I strut trap help on proper manner of conducting shoot for scorekeeper problems, he would also be guilty of causing disharmony of the shoot.

Section VIi, A, 3 Proper score keeping procedure

·
Registered
32,257 Posts
Thank you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome. My darn computer wont open this pdf. Im going to try to pull it up on my work laptop tomorrow

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
What you went through was VERY unusual and never would be permitted at any venue I've ever shot. Find another place to shoot, and move on. There are no rules that govern stupid.

·
Super Moderator
5,309 Posts
Was it a "Big 50" or a registered league?

Big 50s and registered leagues allow squadding of non-registered shooters with folks shooting the Big 50 or league. (Section IV, G, 4)

If not, then, no, you can't squad non-registered with registered.

And obviously the improper score keeping and coaching (Section IV, I, 19) is not permitted.

·
Registered
32,257 Posts
v10​

Look at IV, G, 4 in current language, was changed March 18, this year.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The rule used to say this:

Section IV - ATA TOURNAMENTS

G. SQUADDING, SQUAD LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES AND TARGET OBSERVATION

“…4. The squadding of practice shooters with those shooting
registered events shall not be allowed, nor shall anyone be allowed to shoot registered events on a nonregistered
basis….”

As of March 18th it says this, not sure exactly what this means:
Section IV - ATA TOURNAMENTS

G. SQUADDING, SQUAD LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES AND TARGET OBSERVATION

“…4. Practice (non-registered) shooters may not participate in
registered events, nor shall anyone be allowed to shoot registered events on a nonregistered
basis….”

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was it a "Big 50" or a registered league?

Big 50s and registered leagues allow squadding of non-registered shooters with folks shooting the Big 50 or league. (Section IV, G, 4)

If not, then, no, you can't squad non-registered with registered.

And obviously the improper score keeping and coaching (Section IV, I, 19) is not permitted.
It was a big 50.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Welcome to the ATA. HMB
Howard, what is to be gained by making your statement? Seriously, what good does saying that do? You shot ATA in the past and you know damn well the things this shooter saw are not normal. Tell us exactly why you insist on being so damn negative.?.?

·
Registered
32,257 Posts
Grntitan,

Too early in the AM for sarcasm. You should have used a smiley face.:15::15:

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
You are the one that is negative. I said hello and welcomed a new shooter. HMB
If I really believed that is how you meant it, I would have thanked you. I have seen all too often how you like to take your snide jabs at the ATA. It is counterproductive to the sport. If you indeed have turned over a new leaf and meant it, then I apologize.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
If that happened to me, I'd figure they were telling me not to come back. I'd be all too happy to oblige them. If they're the only game in town, I wouldn't waste any more money on registered targets there. Just shoot practice.

Bob Falfa

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
If this was a registered shoot, and score keeper (regardless of their relationship with a shooter) pulled a stun like that, I would halt the squad and tell them to please step back. If they refused, I would call for a member of shoot mgt. and file a formal complaint for disruption of the shoot with the ATA. Nobody should be subjected to that much of a distraction.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Chetman 7, I'd like to be able to help you but we're on opposite ends of the state. I'm assuming you're a MA shooter even though Lee is on the NY border. You want to get a shoot schedule from Gary H, the state secretary or check the website and see what may be a convenient distance for you to travel to some shoots. I am sure you will find better conditions elsewhere. I personally have not been to any big 50's, but I guess they have their pluses and minus's. Unfortunately, you ended up being on a less than ideal squad. Don't be afraid to politely ask around to see who at the club may answer any question's for you. They are there to help and retain customers--We hope. :) I hope you find it more enjoyable in the future. Enjoy and good luck. Bob

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chetman 7, I'd like to be able to help you but we're on opposite ends of the state. I'm assuming you're a MA shooter even though Lee is on the NY border. You want to get a shoot schedule from Gary H, the state secretary or check the website and see what may be a convenient distance for you to travel to some shoots. I am sure you will find better conditions elsewhere. I personally have not been to any big 50's, but I guess they have their pluses and minus's. Unfortunately, you ended up being on a less than ideal squad. Don't be afraid to politely ask around to see who at the club may answer any question's for you. They are there to help and retain customers--We hope. :) I hope you find it more enjoyable in the future. Enjoy and good luck. Bob
I'm from the upstate NY. From where I am it was about an hour drive into MA. This was my first Big 50, so wasn't sure if it was ran the same as other registered/state shoots.

For now on, I'm just going to stay closer to home. Only reason I drove out there is to get my target #'s up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts