Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I want to give ATA a go, some of my local clubs that have some shoots but I have some questions I have not bee able to get answers to on line, Im hoping some of you experienced ATA guys can help.

-What is the cost to join and shoot? I assume I need to join the ATA.
-How common is it to go alone and hope to be squaded?
-What about classification? Do you state known ability then properly classed after the 1st 100?

What don't I know?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Fee is $20/yr. I think the ATA year runs Sept thru Sept. Going alone is no problem. Different shoots have different rules for folks with no targets on the books. Unless the classifier knows something about your shooting ability.......you will probably be classified as D in singles and doubles, and 20yd for HCP. Go to the site and download the rule book. That will help some, but some of it is still confusing. Have fun!

·
Banned
848 Posts
...you will probably be classified as D in singles and doubles, and 20yd for HCP.
I think, new ATA members are placed into B class in singles (20 yards in handicap). After 500 registered targets, the classification will be adjusted based on the current average.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do I need to shoot from the 20 yard line? Just wanting to shoot some 16 yard line singles

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Most ATA events consist of 3 different games. Singles (16 yrd), HCP (whatever your assigned yardage....usually 20 for new shooters, and doubles. You can shoot any or all of the events.

I broke down and looked at the rule book for classification of new shooters. It reads as follows.

C. CLASSIFICATION

1. For 16-yard targets and Doubles, shooters should be placed in three (3) or
more classes, according to their established average and/or known ability. A
new shooter may be assigned to any class in 16-yards and Doubles events,
at the discretion of classification personnel until the shooter establishes
his/her known ability.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys!

·
Banned
197 Posts
I joined the ATA last year shortly after I started shooting trap. I was classified as "D" class and assigned to the 20 yd line. Since I joined in Sept '14 (or so) my membership carried over to this season so I didn't have to pay again. I shot my first registered event in April '14 and I went alone. I was a bit nervous not knowing what to expect but I had a great time and I met lots of very friendly guys that were willing to answer newbie questions for me.

Now I have no problem going to any event alone because I know that I'll either run into someone I know from another shoot or I'll meet new people there.

When you sign up for a registered shoot they will classify you then you will pick a squad, if you're alone then they'll give you options of squads that have an open spot or if the shoot is large enough they will allow you to start another squad and people will eventually fill your squad in.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Pretty much what everyone said above. After you go and shoot a few bigger tourneys you will find out about pre squading so you can shoot the times you want. My first state shoot, I got there about 8am and didn't shoot my singles until noon, and then shot caps about 7pm, I learned quick after that. Ask lots of questions and have lots of fun! Steve

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Regarding Classifications, bigger shoots and shoots that have trophies and money involved will have a program that will state the minimum targets required to avoid penaty class/yardage. Smaller shoots, especially ones that have no money or trophies would classify you in D for singles. If you are planning to shoot any of the big shoots coming up you need to start registering targets to avoid being in penalty class.

That said the shooting year Sep 1 to Aug 31 is almost over. If $20 dues is a lot to you, you may want to wait until September to join the ATA. Because you will have to renew your membership in September.

Jason

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Don't worry about penalty class or ydg - just go shoot, do your best, have a good time.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Just don't do like me. I have gone to two shoots and CHOKED, on my 16 Yds targets I dropped two out of the first 25 targets both times, I even missed the first target out of the house one time. Then I knew I could not shoot a perfect score and shot a 98 and 97. I have always thought there are four scores in 16's for me. I also just shoot 16's & Handicap because I till a few weeks ago I have never seen them shoot doubles. Without practice at Doubles I would be wasting my time.
97 = OK
98= Good Score
99= Great Score
100= Perfect

I will say it's fun to meet new people. Have Fun

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Just go, have fun and try it. You'll find a lot of great people and have a blast. To ease the intimidation factor maybe just try singles the first time. Set a goal that your trying to achieve and do your best. Remember trap isn't a death match but I bet you don't come in last. Most people shoot for the fun and winning comes only frequently for most. Go to a small local shoot and get your feet wet where it doesn't take a perfect score to tie to win. You will probably be in a lower class for your first time. Tell the classification person what you usually shoot, like in the 20's or lower even. If you have never shot a 25 let them know that. Good luck and let us know how it went. Welcome to the ATA and remember there isn't an age limit to be a competitor as many shoot into their 80's and some 90's.

·
Banned
287 Posts
I too have missed the first bird out of the house and then ran the rest and won class. Stay focused, shoot well, have fun!!

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
PassPort, Just a FYI as it were, but if you really want to win!!! Handicap is where you want to shoot. The different yardages are supposed to keep all shooters on a even playing field. Best shooters way back at the 27 while the less skilled shooters are much closer. Unlike the 16 yard singles where highest score regardless of class is going to win. The best you can hope for is to win class until you can shoot 96 or better every time.

My club just had me shoot for n/c on my first hundred. Then they used the ave. for the first 100 targets and re-averaged for each hundred targets and changed my average based on my total scores until I got to 500 targets. I continued to re-average for each shoot until I had 1000 targets, and just went off the ATA website after that.

Welcome the next step in your shooting career!!! You'll have a good time, meet lots of new friends, and learn a few more things to take your game to the next step. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
The different yardages is suppose to keep all shooters on a even playing field. Best shooters way back at the 17 while the less skilled shooters are much closer. Jeff
Jeff, I wanna come shoot at your club. Bet you have a large number of shooters shooting from the 17, at least squadding wouldn't be a problem.

GneJ

·
Registered
163 Posts
Confusing.......ah.......yeah......!

I got my rule book a few weeks ago and I've been going through it just about every night. It's starting to come together, but the handicap section is still really confusing. Like was mentioned, I plan to just start with singles at the local weekly practices and hopefully make a few of the ATA matches this year. Luckily our club will be hosting 4 shoots this year, plus there are others in nearby states.

You can download the rule book online - but I like their published version, which you can get here (received it in 2 days). Good luck !
Go to the site and download the rule book. That will help some, but some of it is still confusing. Have fun!

·
Registered
734 Posts
ATA is offering free 1 year memberships for new shooters. Be sure to take advantage of that at the club you go to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts