Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Neil will be along to chastise me shortly (for not reading the rule book)...but I don't see why not. I think all you need are three shooters to 'register' targets. why would you use more than one field? Assuming, of course, that the field is regulation and the targets are properly set...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Yes, there is a club in the Boston area that is ATA and has 1 trap. For events like marathon or big 50 they schedule shooters so they don't have to hang around and wait.
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then...its settled, I'll try to bail out the ATA the old fashioned way---by shooting!
First need the state delegate to certify the field.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Sure you can. Takes all day for everyone to shoot all three events, but I've done it, as have many, many others.

·
Super Moderator
5,300 Posts
Rule Book, Section IV "ATA Tournaments," Paragraph E "Sub Events" states, in part:

"It is not necessary to change traps after each sub-event"

So, all the sub-events of one event can be shot on one field. Therefore, only one trap is needed to shoot an event.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
In addition, traipsing between traps at clubs with fields that are reasonably similar or where more than 4 fields are being used is a huge waste of time. It serves absolutely no practical purpose. If your fields are pretty much the same or people are going to shoot different banks of traps, shoot 100 per field and be done with it.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Set it up with starts times (pre-register), as in Skeet, especially for the singles. No waiting around.

Inform shooters they need to be ready to go 15 minutes before their start time. Person doesn't show up you start without him/her.

Pre-registering could be as simple as a sign-up sheet in the club house. If you don't pre-register don't complain if you have to wait around.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Five Points Conservation Club in Indianapolis, IN, only has one trap. We throw Big 50's once a month, 6 months out of the year, and only shoot singles at those. Look up the location and you'll see why we only have one trap field.

·
Registered
413 Posts
At the Kentucky State Shoot we shot all of our singles on preliminary days on 1 trap. There are clubs scattered all over the country that can not
have 4 traps for one reason or another and throw registered targets. Sign up and shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hap, will do! The guys at the Sierra Vista Gun Club have worked very hard to get a nice shotgun facility added. We will let you know when it all comes together for a shoot.
Mike

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
wasnt there a time when rotating to 4 fields was required? i know a lot of the older diehard clubs always had 4 fields minimum.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
heres a better question concernng 1 trap fields...

can you register birds shooting on a non-registered ata trap range?

·
Registered
840 Posts
The Indiana Trapshooting Association bylaws and constitution say that a facility has to have at minimum 3 ATA events per year to be an "ATA trap range." That can be found at www.indianatrap.com

So I guess as long as the state delegate says it's cool, and they meet the 3 events per year threshold, it's cool with the ATA. It must be up to shoot management on how to rotate fields during events.

To answer the original question in short, Yes. To answer it in long, Yes, ask your delegate.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
More than ever we, sometimes, need to look backward and remember where we came from.

At one time there were a lot of one and two trap clubs that the ATA was born. It seems to me that we have the opportunity to "increase" our ranks in the same way, with a deliberate and concerted effort to develope new and stronger relations between the ATA and the smaller clubs.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts