Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Old timers remember in the day when trapshooting was great. The ATA passed a rule if you didn't keep your gun open when walking up and down the line, you could be fined $50.00 or removed from the shoot.

OK, I believe they now need to pass a NEW Safety Rule. In the area address extended choke tubes.

Here what I several times, from a person, (he's full grown) while shooting DOUBLES, now the last I heard that two at a time, so you have to bullets in the gun. He is shooting an auto, loads the gun then reaches up and check the choke to see if it is tight. HELLO!!! Hand and fingers near the end of the barrel with two bullets in it.

OK, I did say something to someone about it. I was told that he had all ready been told 3 times about.

So why is it that if a choke tube sticks out the end of the barrel, you have to reach up and check it to see if it tight. I have never seen anyone with flush mount choke tubes, pull a wrench out and check it.

·
Registered
32,286 Posts
Don't need another rule if "disrupting harmony of the shoot" rule is enforced. It can cover a lot of things. Lack of safety observance is a big disruption and distraction.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
When they start calling that guy stumpy, he won't be doing that anymore! Some folks just have to learn the hard way!

Reactions: Ahab

·
Super Moderator
5,329 Posts
Already covered:

Section IV, I (Safety), 2:

It is Shoot Management’s responsibility to remove any competitor who is conducting himself/herself in an unsafe manner. (Repeat violators should be reported to the Executive Committee for further action.)
And XII, B (Disqualification) 2, b and c:

2. It is the responsibility and the required duty of Shoot Management to immediately remove and disqualify any contestant at any time during an ATA sanctioned tournament:

. . .
b. who handles a gun dangerously on or off the firing line, or

c. who deliberately or carelessly violates gun safety precautions, Official Rules regarding safety, or in any manner endangers contestants, spectators, or gun club personnel.

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
$50 ATA fine? There's one I've never heard.

Reactions: KS-OKIE

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
That rule would have to have been before 1984.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
That rule must have been before 1964 when I shot my first registered targets.

·
Registered
32,286 Posts
One thing is clear, we should read the rule book and keep it with us at a shoot. Guess I will have to print out one from ATA, been years since I have seen a pamphlet size anywhere.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
One thing is clear, we should read the rule book and keep it with us at a shoot. Guess I will have to print out one from ATA, been years since I have seen a pamphlet size anywhere.
All you have to do is order on line from ATA or call them, they will be glad to send you a copy, or if you have several who want them they will send several....Free. Just ask. Steve

·
Banned
818 Posts
I just got a new one from the ATA, send them an E Mail and they will get it to you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
32,286 Posts
I will have it in 30 seconds by printing it out online.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
TM1 I understand where you are coming from on the checking of the choke tubes.It is easy just to do it between posts,I guess if there is a issue with your choke tubes not staying tight for 5 shots then maybey there is a issue with the tubes.That is just crazy though with rounds in the chamber.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Reaching up to check and determine whether or not the extended chokes are tight when the gun is loaded is unsafe to be sure. I hate having to think about constantly checking my gun's extended choke tubes and have just ordered some flush choke tubes that I can snug down with a wrench for that very reason.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So what are you trying to do save the world of just this dummy? the best way to handle it is to stop him immediately while he is pulling unsafe Act and disrupt the whole squads , sorry safety should take precedence, squad mates can chew on him for being unsafe. He should be reported to management and then to the executive committee to take further actions if he still continues to practice an un safe act. But I would caution you to use caution and make sure you are correct or you would be the one disrupting the harmony of the shoot

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
its the new world order folks. people like gadgets. and people like to play with their gadgets.
by making the choke easier to get to, people now play with it.
and people wonder why i still like fixed choke guns......

·
Registered
101 Posts
No the new world order is, I'm offended by everything and there should be a rule or law to force people to do what I think they should do exactly how I think they should do it. It's not your fingers. I'd say mind your own business and shoot. You focused on him is probably losing you birds.

·
Registered
642 Posts
We have a kid at our range that does the same thing, I pointed out to his father, the father said it's a habit of the kid. really? don't you care about your kids fingers? he stopped doing it for awhile, but I think I saw him doing it again last week.(I was at the line at the other trap) The father and kid both have a cocky attitude.I'll be wathing next week, if he's doing it again I'll bring it to the attention of the club president,maybe if he says something it will carry more weight.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
OK, Old timers remember in the day when trapshooting was great. The ATA passed a rule if you didn't keep your gun open when walking up and down the line, you could be fined $50.00 or removed from the shoot.
Sir, could you tell us more about what years this rule was in effect. Just having a hard time locating the rule in any of my old rule books, thank ya kindly.

GneJ

1 - 20 of 39 Posts