Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my tax form in the mail today from the ATA for the Grand.Seems a little unjust to have to pay taxes on $730.00 won over a 11-day period.Does this mean I qualify as being in the PRO CLASS ? HA-HA...KS-OKIE.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
KS-OKIE

Don't even claim it on your return unless you itemize. If the IRS questions you explain that it is a hobby. Cost you more than that to win it.

Robert

·
Registered
153 Posts
Better claim as it is a 1099-misc! Easy to offset with entry receipts, mileage, ect. Thinking my tax guy called it a second business....wash in my case!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
A few years ago my wife hit a small slot machine jackpot in Mississippi. Naturally they took state tax out on the spot. When I did my tax I could not write off losses equal to the jackpot (although the losses far exceeded the jackpot. The reason is that I do not itemize medical, mortgages, or other deductibles. Kind of one way but that is how Turbo Tax did it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
dickgtax,

I assume from your sign on name that you are in the tax business. That is exactly what my tax preparer advised me to do. I did it for 5 years and on the 6th year when the IRS finally audited me and questioned a 1099 for $5200.00 from the state shoot, I wrote them a letter and explained that it was from a hobby and I spend more than I make over the year, that was about 10 years ago they agreed completley, and I have never been questioned on the lack of not claiming it since. Still have the letter from the IRS to that effect.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Listen to pashooter, thats what you do. Dont even think about not reporting it. You will get caught period because the 1099 is entered electronically. Use the schedule C for deductions as a cost to earn that money, such as motels, gas etc. You may come out better yet. You could even depreciate your gun I believe

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I think if one was to depreciate their gun and then sell it later you are obligated to pay Capital Gains on said sale. Just sayin.

Chuck

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I get all my tax and medical info from the trap shooting forum.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I believe your trap gun is a small hand tool necessary for performing your job, thus a valid deduction. HMB

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Chuckie68,

Depreciation on a trap gun would be re-captured as ordinary income BEFORE the calculation of any capital gain or loss.

LA in 'Taxachusetts'

·
Registered
808 Posts
My tax person says if it is under 5 grand just pay the tax you owe. It is not worth the grief for any less.

You may try to call it a business, and the IRS calls it a hobby.

The IRS may call it a business, while you try to call it a hobby.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.