Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be coming to the Grand this year, but I won't be arriving until Saturday.

Anybody know if it is possible to shoot the second half of the NRA Singles event on Sunday?

Just wondering how that might work.

I've already sent an email to David Rhoads asking this. I just thought someone here might have danced with this subject before.

·
Premium Member
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If I had to pay for the 200 and could only shoot 100
Yeah...that. Good point Jason. (Are you going to the Grand this year?)

The main reason I want to shoot that event is just to get a few targets shot. I really haven't shot much...at all...since February of 2021 so I'll likely be really rusty.

I may just spend some quality time at the practice trap instead, if I have to pay the full 200 target entry.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
You would only pay for the targets you shoot. But as slide said you wouldn’t be in the running for any trophies
Actually in a 200 bird event you would have to pay the entry fee for the "whole event" and there is no provision for returning the money for the targets you didn't shoot. The event is over 200 targets. It is the same as if you as if you entered a 100 target event and only shot half . If you dropped out after 50 targets you would be averaged on the 50 targets you shot only but, there would be no refund on the last 50 you did not complete.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hi Tim,

Yes, I am planning to shoot the whole program. It is the GRAND, I make it a point to arrive a day early and leave a day later. Retired now so no need to schedule vacation time.

Jason

·
Registered
577 Posts
Actually in a 200 bird event you would have to pay the entry fee for the "whole event" and there is no provision for returning the money for the targets you didn't shoot. The event is over 200 targets. It is the same as if you as if you entered a 100 target event and only shot half . If you dropped out after 50 targets you would be averaged on the 50 targets you shot only but, there would be no refund on the last 50 you did not complete.
So wanting to know for myself I called the ATA offices and spoke with Donna. I was put on hold while she inquired and when she came back on the line I was told that if I show up Sunday I can shoot the 2nd 100 of the NRA singles and I would only pay for the second 100. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
So wanting to know for myself I called the ATA offices and spoke with Donna. I was put on hold while she inquired and when she came back on the line I was told that if I show up Sunday I can shoot the 2nd 100 of the NRA singles and I would only pay for the second 100. Hope this helps.
OK But I have been in the game for half a century and never heard of just paying for half. Perhaps in this case this is because the first 100 would already be past. Not sure if they would allow it on the front end. Might ask them about that.

·
Premium Member
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll probably just shoot a few rounds of practice singles that morning.

Reactions: charleyj10

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
If you ran 100 straight shooting 100 targets out of 200.....would your ATA score be 100/200?
No, averages on targets run by 100s . In the case you stated it would be 100/100. In the case of shooting less than 100 they wold be based on sub events for example if you entered a 100 target event and dropped out after 50 ,your score would be averaged on that 50 targets.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,088 Posts
That's what I thought but I'm confused.....if you pay for 200 targets and only shoot 100, don't you forfit the other 100? I've never paid for a 100 singles event twice....it's always a set amount that covers 200 targets.
Correct. The 100 targets paid for in a 200 target event but not shot at are forfeited and will not be included in the final score, nor will they be added to your ATA Registered target cumulative total. The forfeiture also includes the price paid.

Let's see if I get this correct.....

In your example, 100 targets were shot at and 100 targets were broken. The percentage is calculated as targets broken / total targets in the whole event, or completed sub-event, as long as the sub-event is a minimum of 50 targets. Rule section IV-F-A states that events of less than 50 targets shall not be registered, so that means you need to at least be scored on 2 completed Traps in Singles and Handicap, and 1 Trap in Doubles. A shooter can walk off after 25 targets without having the score recorded.

Reactions: lhedrick1

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Correct. The 100 targets paid for in a 200 target event but not shot at are forfeited and will not be included in the final score, nor will they be added to your ATA Registered target cumulative total. The forfeiture also includes the price paid.

Let's see if I get this correct.....

In your example, 100 targets were shot at and 100 targets were broken. The percentage is calculated as targets broken / total targets in the whole event, or completed sub-event, as long as the sub-event is a minimum of 50 targets. Rule section IV-F-A states that events of less than 50 targets shall not be registered, so that means you need to at least be scored on 2 completed Traps in Singles and Handicap, and 1 Trap in Doubles. A shooter can walk off after 25 targets without having the score recorded.
You didn't get anything correct in your example.

A sub-event does not become an event just because someone withdraws.

Section IV, F, A states that a club cannot hold a registered 25-target event, for example, or any event of less than 50 targets.

If a shooter enters an event and withdraws having shot at one or more targets, then their score will be entered as the targets they broke out of the total for the sub-event(s) that they shot.

Thus a shooter can enter a 100-target event, withdraw after shooting the first 25-target sub-event and their score will be registered as the number of targets they broke out of 25.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,088 Posts
You didn't get anything correct in your example.

A sub-event does not become an event just because someone withdraws.

Section IV, F, A states that a club cannot hold a registered 25-target event, for example, or any event of less than 50 targets.

If a shooter enters an event and withdraws having shot at one or more targets, then their score will be entered as the targets they broke out of the total for the sub-event(s) that they shot.

Thus a shooter can enter a 100-target event, withdraw after shooting the first 25-target sub-event and their score will be registered as the number of targets they broke out of 25.
Okay, thanks for the clarification on the 25 target component. I thought by only shooting 25, no score would be recorded. If I'm not mistaken, I think that was the case at a shoot I attended when a shooter on my squad walked off after only 25 were shot at, and no score was recorded.... obviously that was in error. The shooter who walked off was a coach and even stated as such. Glad to understand to correct interpretation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Several years ago I was only going to be able to shoot the 100 singles on Saturday but not Sunday. I was told that would be fine as long as I payed for the entire 200. I would assume it would be the same in reverse, to be fair to all concerned. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts