Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was one of our regular twice a month ATA Big 50 shoots.
We all completed our shoot from the 16 yd line and the targets looked a little high.
In between the 16 yd shoot and the handicapped shoot they adjusted one of the machines to throw a little lower.

We use two fields for shooting, first you shoot one field then you swap over to the other field so each person shoots both fields.

Here is the question for thoughts...
I was a score keeper for the squad that started on field two. We finished our first 25 and swapped fields.
The first two shooters shot on the new field (one) and you could clearly see the machine was throwing way, way to high and very illegal birds. So I asked if everyone was ok shooting those targets three of t he shooters said no!

One of the club officials was also on the line and he said we/ they had to shoot he birds as is because the first squad that shot there did.

Since he is a club official and I did not want to seem like an asshole I did not pursue the issue. But I am under the assumption (cause I think I read it in the rules) that it does not matter if the first shooter chose to shoot the illegal targets we shouldn't have to.

What are your opinions ?

Mike

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here is another way to look at it. Those people are paying registered target price, they are the "customer" of that club, within reason, they should have targets set to their liking. I know there are some that would have you changing them every other post, but I said within reason. The club is not the customer, the shooter is, people return to friendly clubs that throw decent targets. YMMV. We never want someone leaving our club because people were unfriendly or targets were poor and no one fixed it. Scott

·
Registered
505 Posts
You are conducting ATA registered shoots and nobody knows how to set a machine to throw legal targets ? What club so I can avoid it ?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
It's interesting how accurately some shooters can "read" a bird. A couple weeks ago I was scorekeeper at my local club, one shooter said he thought the birds were fast, I called for a recheck, (as per rule book) we double checked with a radar gun, he was right, we reset the speed. We had set them in the morning (with the radar gun) but as the day warmed up I guess the oil warmed up too (Pat traps). Anyway we like to throw good targets and keep things legal AND the shooters satisfied. Everybody seemed happy and nobody complained. Ross Puls

·
Registered
715 Posts
Why didn't the squad tell the lead off shooter that they wanted the targets reset because they weren't legal rather than two shooters shooting and then asking to have them changed. Now if they were legal targets and they just didn't like them where they were too bad. They are legal according to the rules shot them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
And once again i am glad i stayed home... how were the doubles targets??

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why didn't the squad tell the lead off shooter that they wanted the targets reset because they weren't legal rather than two shooters shooting and then asking to have them changed. Now if they were legal targets and they just didn't like them where they were too bad. They are legal according to the rules shot them.
Cause thats not the way they do things there...and they weren't no legal targets..
The thing is most if not all the shooters are member of the club and don't want to make waves . Like most clubs they are ran by people donating there time and that we all are grateful of. but!
If you call a shoot an ATA shoot it has to be ATA rules, not house rules.

m

·
Registered
452 Posts
We have a fellow here in Mondamtana, shoots a lot, past state champion, they call him Ricardo D., he can easily look at a target and tell you if its fast or slow, within a 1 mph, yes he is that handy. He has a lot of experience setting and shooting targets and it shows. Scott

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you run a registered ATA shoot you have to follow the rules. I get so tired of the guys that say it doesn't matter I have
at times considered no longer shooting ATA shoots.
No matter what game you are playing if it has a rule book you play according to the rules. That is the trouble with society in general today not many people play by the rules. I was a professional athlete for half of my life. I played by the rules everyday I competed. I also filed formal complaints against those who cheated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts