Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of attendance have clubs been getting at one of these shoots?? What is the normal price of targets at an event like this.Also what is the general consensus of this program please list all likes and dislikes. I am gathering info for my club,just want to see what everyone thinks.Thanks JEB

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P3AT,Thanks for your reply .Exactly the info Im looking for.JEB
Keep it coming guys.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on guys.Only one person with an opinion on this topic.
This would lead me to believe that this program is not very popular with the masses or has little participation.Which is it??? 305 people have looked only 1 reply.

·
Banned
673 Posts
age and the cost of shooting are factor's for me. with big 50's I can keep the cost down , keep the effects of recoil to a minimum and still be with my buds and shoot on a daily basis ! life is good !

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've participated at one club that held Big 50 shoots. They don't any longer, but I don't know why.

From a pricing perspective, I believe they charged about the same price as their practice rounds. They also ran a concurrent 'derby style' event and participation in that was optional. Actually participation in either was optional (you could shoot the derby and not register the targets).

Not sure if the term 'derby' is consistent across the country, but around here it's where a portion of the entry fees are paid to the high score of the evening and then rest is put into a pot and paid out to the person that wins three shoots during the season. They only scored the derby on 16 and HCP.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
At our club we do the Big 50 on Wednesday evening. We will get from 3 - 7 shooters who participate. During the cold months we have the minimum number of shooters. It's not a big draw at our club. We look at it as another option for the shooters. If you search me (WilliamMR) on this site, you will see the scores I post every Wednesday night. We use our own sign in sheet to make life easier at the desk, considering Big 50 shooters mingle with practice shooters.

Bill Radwan - Glen Park Izaak Walton - Merrillville, IN

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

My club runs a Big 50 event the first Sunday of each month starting at 1 PM.

Offer Singles, Handicap, and Doubles in that order.

There are some shooters who have never missed the Big 50.

Others are frequent but have missed some.

Others have shot it a few times.

I like the Big 50.

Don't know if the Big 50 are a money maker for the club or not.

The Big 50 shooters might have shot the same number of targets in practice if the Big 50 was not offered. I don't know.

I also like the opposite of a Big 50, i.e., a marathon.

Not at our club, but at other clubs in warm climates dominated by six-month resident snowbirds, have shot in 600-shot Handicap and 300-pair Doubles marathons.

Really enjoyed them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We shoot the BIG 50 on the 1st and 3rd Fridays at Volusia Trap and Skeet (Central FL north of Orlando).

Turn out is steady or growing, last time we had 26 shooters I believe for singles and handicap.

We get a lot of shooters that like the competition of ATA without the time and costs associated with 100 bird events, it's been a total success for us.

·
Registered
466 Posts
We'll shoot Big 50's at F.C.S.C in Frankfort, Ky for eight weeks this spring for our third year. We price it at $10.00 per Big 50 and state/ata fees. Sometimes we've shoot doubles, singles, and Caps. Sometimes not enough shooter's for all three events. You only need 3 shooters and we mix them with regular practice on Wednesday afternoons.

We've had from three to nine shooters. Hopefully it will grow this year. Club's practice rounds cost $3.75 for member's, $4.50 for guests so the Big 50 rate's make the club very little but as has been mentioned, is a service for shooter's and good to get new ATA shooter's to join in.

It helps me get my ATA minimums without spending a weekend day and I like the fact that on a bad big 50 day, I can practice what I did wrong after the event.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies ,great information.So far I haven't read anything negative.Seems like most people are pretty positive about the format.

In my opinion anything that will help me register more targets at a lesser price has to be a good thing , both for me and the clubs .Clubs like the ones I belong to dont make money unless there throwing targets.Seems like a win win situation.
JEB

·
Registered
311 Posts
our club has run a big 50 program since its inception. we shoot each Tuesday,march thru nov.. it started slow,and has grown to very good time for all MUD RUN,CANTON,OH---#400216

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Jeb, I think that Big 50 is going to grow. A couple of things that I see that could hurt it is clubs that start the program and doesn't follow through. Couple of things that come to mind. Starting on time and having scorers available to help out. We shoot a Big 50 at our club in Florida at 10:00 AM on Tuesday morning. We understand that we normally use shooting volunteers to score so we are prepared for that. Setting good targets is important. Keeping the cost down is VERY important. Atmosphere is also important. Make the shooter feel welcome to your club. Don Kerce

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would love to get this going at our club. We need to throw more targets, as our club is on life support. How does a club get into the Big 50 cycle. Is their an application process? We have our once a year 100 bird ATA shoot, but how do we get started with the Big 50?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
C-Money, Big 50's may now be shot on any day of the week, and no longer require Executive Director approval.
Big 50 shoot dates are to be sent to the State Secretary for approval using the ATA Registered Shoot Application. Fees to the ATA are reduced to $1.50 and some states waive the State fee. You may charge any price you like and may shoot NON-REGISTERED with REGISTERED on the same squad.
All three disciplines may be shot. Hope this helps. Don Kerce

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Sorry I would have answered B4 now but was out of the country for a week.

For the best information about starting a Big 50 shoot go to the ATA web site (shootATA.com). Under "general information" click on Big 50 and you've got it. Of note, there was a rules change, at the beginning of the year that allows clubs to hold a Big 50 any day of the week now. The ATA asks that you clear your intent through your state/provinces' secretary.

Even though the Big 50 has been around for a while it is slow in getting started ... partly because we haven't promoted it to each club as strongly as we should have ... but like anything new, folks are slow to accept it.

In essence, it is a half sized ATA registered shoot. For years now our aging shooter base has requested a way to shoot a shorter program but still accumulating targets for their state/provincial requirements. It's perfect for that.

Additionally, it allows new and veteran shooters to participate in the competitive side of trapshooting, shooting at singles, handicap and doubles without the total cost of shooting a 300 target day. Lots of folks should like that since it's the most voiced objection, beside cost.

The new shooters wanting to "take it up a notch" can begin their competitive careers shooting a program that is less intimidating and costly. All veteran shooters who know someone that wants to shoot more competitively should take a newbee to one. The rhythm of the Big 50 is just like any other ATA registered shoot.

The Big 50 fits even the one and two traps club's schedules too. We all know that the small gun clubs have been left out of the ATA experience in the past. The ATA Big 50 solves that problem nicely.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Joel, I would love to see a BIG 50 on Wednesday at the Sportsmen's Club. You already have a shooter base there for the practice time and maybe they would register some targets. It would be a perfect way to grow ATA shooting in the area again. I would like to try some doubles and this IMO would be a great way to get started. I think other local "league shooter" types might test the water with the lower cost and only 50 targets. It might increase the Sunday ATA events too?

Doug Allison

1 - 20 of 27 Posts