Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, how far can you target a 10-gauge cartridge? What is the diameter of the target? I know the distance and the diameter for the 12 gauge, in fact the distance is 35 meters and the diameter of the target is 75cm are they the same for the 10 gauge?
Sincerely
albert

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
If you can't hit a target with a 12 ga. what makes you think you can hit them any better with a 10 ga.??? Mmm break em all jeff
He’s a hunter. He’s asking about patterns. Circle sizes and distances.

· Registered
13,538 Posts
He’s a hunter. He’s asking about patterns.
I get that. But if a 10 gauge has a payload of 1 3/4 of shot (average) in the shell. Then it should yield a much larger pattern than a 12 ga. at the same distance with the same choke!!! I found payloads from 1 3/8 oz. to 2 3/8 oz of shot for the 10 ga. shotgun. The amount of payload has to effect the pattern size!!!

The IC choke in my 28 ga. works the same, and for the same distances. As it does in my 12 ga. barrel. The size of the pattern is smaller though with the 28 ga. I have no idea what the size of a 10 gauge pattern should be though? We know a 12 ga. pattern is about 30-31 inches, 20 ga. is about 27-28 inches, 28 ga. is about 24-25 inches, and 410 bore is about 21-22 inches. Common sense tells me a 10 gauge should be at least 3-4 inches bigger than a 12 ga. though. It may even be bigger with a full load of 2 3/8 oz. of shot? Now I'm curious as to what the right size is. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I get that. But if a 10 gauge has a payload of 1 3/4 of shot (average) in the shell. Then it should yield a much larger pattern than a 12 ga. at the same distance with the same choke!!! I found payloads from 1 3/8 oz. to 2 3/8 oz of shot for the 10 ga. shotgun. The amount of payload has to effect the pattern size!!!

The IC choke in my 28 ga. works the same, and for the same distances. As it does in my 12 ga. barrel. The size of the pattern is smaller though with the 28 ga. I have no idea what the size of a 10 gauge pattern should be though? We know a 12 ga. pattern is about 30-31 inches, 20 ga. is about 27-28 inches, 28 ga. is about 24-25 inches, and 410 bore is about 21-22 inches. Common sense tells me a 10 gauge should be at least 3-4 inches bigger than a 12 ga. though. It may even be bigger with a full load of 2 3/8 oz. of shot? Now I'm curious as to what the right size is. break em all jeff
It effects the pattern DENSITY given the same constriction. Remember, the “Big Bore” barrels are 10 gauge inside diameter shooting 12 gauge shells. They are said to pattern tighter than nominal 12 bore. So, as the payload increases the effective killing density “target diameter” circle is farther down range. From 40 yards to 50 yards. Or greater.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
It effects the pattern DENSITY given the same constriction. Remember, the “Big Bore” barrels are 10 gauge inside diameter shooting 12 gauge shells. They are said to pattern tighter than nominal 12 bore. So, as the payload increases the effective killing density “target diameter” circle is farther down range. From 40 yards to 50 yards. Or greater.
And density becomes even more apparent when you move into the larger steel or HD shot sizes normally used for large waterfowl, i. e. BB's, 2, 3, 4. The more you start with, the more you can hopefully keep in the center 20" of the pattern at longer distances. In the hands of a skilled, experienced waterfowler a 10 gauge will kill big geese further and cripple fewer (kill them deader) than a 3" or 3.5" 12 ga. OTOH, a pilgrim that buys one, and expects to kill geese at 100 yards with every shot right out of the box is a bane to waterfowlers and the worst kind of waterfowl hog.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
To the OP's question. 40 yards is the standard, but at some point you need to pattern at the distance you intend to take game. If you're shooting waterfowl over decoys with an accomplished caller, you may want to shoot some patterns at 20-25 yards. If you're pass shooting Giant Canadas at 60++ yards (think public hunting in the Southern Illinois Quota Zone in the '80's and 90's), then shoot some patterns out there. And measure the distances. Most people can't estimate yardage worth a crap.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
First, please for us old folks who don't do " metric ", state your questions in decimal. How far and how big a circle ? I have three 10 ga guns, and pattern them at the distance I want to hit a target at. Same for any gauge gun. A skeet gun is patterned at 22yds or there abouts, a 16yd trap gun 35 to 40yds, and a 27yd trap gun about 50yds. For hunting start at the distance you'd want to shoot and if it looks good add another 5yds and try again. Go out as far as your patterns hold up. Then you'll know how far you'd still want to shoot at your game. JMHO

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
First, please for us old folks who don't do " metric ", state your questions in decimal.
Guy’s not from USA. Most places have gone metric. Many of them don’t even know yards/feet/inches. Let alone the “decimal” you call for.

Metric measure IS decimal. Thousand, thousandth of a meter ( kilo mili ). Hundredth of a meter ( centi ). Etc. Decimal means by 100.

Reactions: pbansen

· Registered
4,287 Posts
I really don’t think there’s a “standard range” nor would one matter. What load are you shooting, and what do you want it to do? If you are shooting steel shot or lead or tungsten, your range variants will be different. Also, how is your shotgun choked? There are a lot of variables before you can be given a valid answer
Hello everyone, how far can you target a 10-gauge cartridge? What is the diameter of the target? I know the distance and the diameter for the 12 gauge, in fact the distance is 35 meters and the diameter of the target is 75cm are they the same for the 10 gauge?
Sincerely
albert

· Registered
278 Posts
With my 10 ga shooting 1 1/2 oz of Steel BB's at 1450 through a .745 choke I get a 68% pattern at 50 yards so with this 40" pattern , any Duck or Goose inside it , goes home with me !
10 ga's are a tool for shooting Larger Pellets at Bigger birds for me , the distance only applies to ones ability !

· Registered
350 Posts
Sincerely
albert
You are shooting the same sized game for 12 ga, use 55 meters distance for patterns. Good luck Albert.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you can't hit a target with a 12 ga. what makes you think you can hit them any better with a 10 ga.??? Mmm break em all jeff
The forum is not suitable for the 10 caliber because you are dealing with the trap, but I have a hunter friend who asks me the distances to respect for a 10 caliber targeting and as I am in the "Reloading" the right section.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.