Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old daughter that loves going to the gun clubs with me. I starting hunting when I was seven after hunters safety completed. Now in my state I believe you have to be 10 years old before you can take the class. My thinking is starting her out with a bolt action 22 rifle with a suppressor in about another year. What are your thoughts?
Thanks

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
BB gun. No BB’s until gun handling is acceptable. Let her stand on the stations with you while you practice. Let her follow targets while you shoot. Just you. Nobody else. When she hits 8 ask again.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Made my son come to the range on Sundays with grandpa and I starting at age 8, mostly to get him away from the freaking video games. At 10, he was shooting .38 wadcutters with us and by 12, joining us on the 100 yard line.

Unfortunately now he's 17 and more interested in chasing tail than 10-rings. He'll come back. Eventually.

Edit - I call this picture "The cheek weld"

· Registered
230 Posts
never to young, just when are they mature for what level,
my son started with bb gun at about 5, 22 rifle at 7,
daughters got their 22's about 6 and 7,

biggest thing besides safety is just having them around at the range to get their interest up, whether plinking with the 22's and then walking down and watching the lever action or long range guys or just getting to push the button on the trap/skeet field,

shotguns has been a great way to spend time with my daughter as she grows up,

Good Luck

· Registered
69 Posts
I took my two kids out at 10 & 11 after going over handling and especially safety in the home. Then when I was confident they were ready, I took them to a range where they started off with single shot 22lr as you mentioned and moved up from there. About six times to the range I only monitored them, I didn't shoot during those trips.

· Registered
7,243 Posts
My boy was 8 when he started learning rifle skills with a good pellet rifle. At 9 he was able to work on the skill set using a .22 rifle. By 12 years of age, pistols and centerfire arms were added. All under supervision.

· Registered
6,959 Posts
My boys got a BB gun at age 6. .22 rifles at age 7. Always with me preaching safety. I think the best thing that I thought of, was shooting potatoes with a .22 hollow point bullets just so they could see and visualize the damage that little shell could do.
My son got his first rabbit at age 7 and he wanted it mounted. I said, no way...........

Well, my little smart son said, "Dad, you got your first goose mounted"!
How could I argue against that kind of logic coming from a 7 year old?
We had it mounted.........

Hauxfan!

· Premium Member
21,561 Posts
Started both my kids when they was 6 and 7. Got them matching Marlin .22 bolt action rifles. After safety talks and all of that, I turn them loose on the turtles in our pond. They are still shooting.

· Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Started my daughter with a BB gun when she was 7 and had her shooting 22 rifles and pistols by the time she was 10.
She obtained her concealed carry permit when she was 21. She never shot clays or hunted but is capable of protecting herself.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.