Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I don't know what an ASE 'X' trap is. Is that a designation you've just invented?

There are quite a few ASE trap guns advertised on 'Guntrader' in the UK. A few wealthy Italian trapshooting friends in London used to shoot them. ASEs never fizzed on me because I've heard of a few where the ribs came loose. That was enough to put me off, although I understand Beretta fixed that problem eventually.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ASE Gold X Trap...I've seen 2 down under. The barrels are step rib like the 682 Gold X but the action is (obviously) an ASE.

Maybe a US/Australia only model?

EDIT: pic attached

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I've never seen one in my travels.
If you ever do, please let me know. Lol...

The US guys on here assure me they aren't super rare. I've not yet seen one for sale down here, and believe me I've been looking!! That's why the one I've asked about piqued my interest.

Pity it's an aftermarket rib. :(

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
It's an add-on rib on top of a factory Boehler flat rib. And a pretty nice looking job at that. As long as removing it leaves the original rib intacts and some moron didn't screw it to the original rib, I see no issues with it whatsoever, and if the POI was right, it would lose nothing to a X Trap.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an add-on rib on top of a factory Boehler flat rib. And a pretty nice looking job at that. As long as removing it leaves the original rib intacts and some moron didn't screw it to the original rib, I see no issues with it whatsoever, and if the POI was right, it would lose nothing to a X Trap.
I think that's probably right, but the possibility of the soldering process having warped the barrels or of it coming loose puts me off. And because of the age of the gun there are too many risks I think, especially at $8500 AUD.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not original for sure. You can also be assured that the side ribs will become loose with shooting.
Interesting. I know maybe a dozen people who shoot ASEs of various configurations (none are X traps) and I've never heard of an ASE side rib coming loose. How many have you encountered?

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
I've never heard of ANYONE soldering an add-on rib to an existing rib. It would be COMPLETELY unnecessary, basically trying to drive a finishing nail with a sledge hammer. They are held on with double sided tape or RTV silicone, or in some rare ham-fisted instances (again, COMPLETELY unnecessary) people have drilled and tapped the existing rib and screwed the add-on to it, hence my caveat.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never heard of ANYONE soldering an add-on rib to an existing rib. It would be COMPLETELY unnecessary, basically trying to drive a finishing nail with a sledge hammer. They are held on with double sided tape or RTV silicone, or in some rare ham-fisted instances (again, COMPLETELY unnecessary) people have drilled and tapped the existing rib and screwed the add-on to it, hence my caveat.
Either way I'll stay clear I think.

ps I've seen more ham fisted "gunsmithing" than most. One of my best friends and a pistol champion was a 'smith. he said 70% of his work was fixing other people's mistakes....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I shot bunker with an ase gold X for a few years but went back to my SO4 and Perazzi DB81, I think the ASE guns are the same quality as any Perazzi. I currently shoot a High Tech bunker gun as well as my SO4. I have had 6 P guns and most Beretta models. Can't go wrong with either maker. I spoke with Al at Perazzi this morn about the ribless Perazzi game gun and he said there are none in the USA at this time. They are available in England and are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The rib-post seem original, but the actual rib is an aftermarket,..btw, the gun you posted is an ASE90 X-Trap ( not the Gold model ),. both ASE-90 and ASE-Gold had the step ribs versions,...I had two Trap Combo's (ASE-Gold), both with Excelsior steel. The Boehler steel version were prone to rib-popping, I know because my Skeet gun had it's rib separated at the front and back end,..I'd be very cautious about purchasing a Bohler steel model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts