Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are headed to Arizona for the month of March. We are seriously thinking about purchasing some property there. The hoa fees and taxes seem to be pretty attractive compared to other parts of the country. Just wondering if anyone here has anything to add about the pro or cons about living in Arizona. I know there's no better place to shoot than in the desert.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The early spring was great! Nearly 80 and sunny. Chilly 55....65 since Friday......m....in Missouri, it is in the single digits....worst winter in a while

·
Registered
684 Posts
First off, we love living in Arizona. Only been here a little over one year but went through one of the colder winters in history, last year, and last summer the second hottest summer! Still golfed often in the summer. HoA fees are all over the place. The first place we purchased had two so read the fine print before you fall in love. License plate fees can be high. They are based on the value of the vehicle. Could be $800 or more the first year and then they decrease by some percentage every year after that. Our auto insurance doubled from what we paid in Wisconsin. You have to get your property inspected for termites every year, $150. Gas is cheaper and food about the same. Property taxes are average. Water is higher. Scenery is great! Jobs are available if you are not retired. You can carry without a permit. This winter it was 80 when it was -10 in Wisco.

Probably not everything, but a start. Phoenix is more crowded, Tucson more of a cowboy town. The north is green and and a lot cooler.Depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I lived there 4 years and wish I had never left. The one thing that I really liked the most was you could plan an outdoor event a year in advance and know it would be ok. Hot in the summer?? I did not mind it at all. The desert is beautiful with the cactus in bloom

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have wintered in the Phoenix area for the last 15 years. I feel very lucky to be able to spend the time I have left in this part of the world. Trevor Dawe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Plus side: warm winter weather, low cost of housing, low property tax, lots of public land, great trap / clays / skeet club at Tucson, conservative ( w/ exception of Tucson), big V.A. in Tucson if you're military, gas is cheap, great Mexican food, Superbowl goes to Phoenix in 2015 ( actually in Glendale)
seniors over-represented so many businesses caters to them (i.e. us)
Good college basketball, major leage baseball in PHX,

Minus: poorly run state, they don't fix roads, high drug crime / property crime in cities, water will get more EXPENSIVE, high electric bill depending on your need for A.C., sales tax 8.6% or more, can you handle 100+ F in summer?,

Maybe someone else can add to this list?
Art

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sheriff Joe is rumered to be running for govenor. Need to keep a Republican in office! No money for roads and they want to give amnesty to illegals. Yikes!

·
Registered
276 Posts
my parents winter there (costa mesa area) and they love it but they would not want to live there year around. Still prefer the Missouri area for the grass and trees in Summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts