Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rent their guns. Tip well. Pace yourself...you will not run out of birds to shoot at.

I always keep my passport on me. Do not loose your passport...had a friend that lost his after drinking too much. He had to go to B.A. to the US consulate for a replacement. Total cost to him was over $2k with flights extra hotel days, changing his return date..etc..

You must drink the Malbec wine, Quilmes beer and eat empanadas !!

Finally, shoot all you want. Do not worry about the shell bill....That is too far to go to not shoot.

Post pictures when you return !! What company are you going with ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rent their guns.
Learn a little Spanish.
Take a slip-on recoil pad. We had leather ones that came with our lost luggage the next day but by the end of the first day, we had abraded our shoulders so each day we had to break up the scab. Sounds worse than it was.
The bird can see a barrel tracking them so don't do that.
Take comfortable clothes and shoes. Camo is nice but not required. Take some boots we had a day of mud.
Try everything they feed you the food is great.
Get some Bose headphones for the plane ride it's long.
Business-class or above.
Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Get some Bose headphones for the plane ride it's long.
Business-class or above.
Enjoy your trip.
Double down on the very long trip. We used to fly to Mexico and change planes so we could smoke at least part of the way. Now it a 13 hour non stop trip with nicotine patches, gun, and inhalers. It still takes a full day to recover enough to have a steady gun.

It is still well worth it however.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rio de piedras is an excellent outfitter in Cordova, Octavio is very professional and his team knows what they do, I made it and will do it again soon.
Pay the shoulder massage its 100% worth

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the positive comments on SYC, I have a couple of friends who have gone to Los Chanaros, but they didn't have space available. I figure I will be shooting a autoloader while down there, so I picked mine up form my brother and shot some skeet with hit. I have not shot an autoloader in a long time. I'm looking forward to everything but the flights. 19 hours from LAX to Argentina and 22 hours back.

I'm not going to worry about the ammo bill, as I'm sure that is where they make their money.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That trip has always been on my bucket list. What does a 4 day trip cost about.
I can’t tell you what current costs are but typically lodging and hunting cost is listed on websites. The variable is in how many shells you go through. Have been there once and will go back. It is a blast. As mentioned the only bad part is the flight.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I aim to return to Argentina once the outcome of the mid-term election on 14th November is clear. The government is likely to lose control of the Senate which would have interesting repercussions. The economy is already on its knees, unemployment and poverty are in a one way direction. The IMF debt of US$45 billion remains to be paid. Another default as in 2001 is a possibility. I've no wish to get in the middle of another crisis like that so I'll wait a while and observe. If in the meantime you do go shooting doves be aware of the value of your greenbacks and don't get ripped off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I aim to return to Argentina once the outcome of the mid-term election on 14th November is clear. The government is likely to lose control of the Senate which would have interesting repercussions. The economy is already on its knees, unemployment and poverty are in a one way direction. The IMF debt of US$45 billion remains to be paid. Another default as in 2001 is a possibility. I've no wish to get in the middle of another crisis like that so I'll wait a while and observe. If in the meantime you do go shooting doves be aware of the value of your greenbacks and don't get ripped off.

I'm headed down to Argentina Mid-November for Dove, any tips or pointers?
I have been to Argentina three times and all trips were incredibly good. If you can, arrange to shoot pigeons at least one day. Most shooters prefer shooting pigeons over doves---some times you get lucky and shoot both, and that is even more fun. The number of pigeons that you can shoot is limited to about 150/day. But, there is no limit on doves and you can shoot as many as you like. I fired 1200 shots one day but then backed off to a more reasonable 750 per day.
The regulations about taking guns into Argentina seem to change a lot; net result being that it is best to rent a gun.

·
Registered
966 Posts
How hard is it to just bring your gun ? Cost & Paper work ?
Did you guys go with a group of other guys or just by your self or take your spouse. ?
It is a long and arduous process just to shoot doves. They rent mostly semi auto Berettas.

All that said, you can work through the process with enough time, the right contacts, and money. I've even acquired a concealed carry permit there as I am a frequent visitor. :cool:

I've gone down with male friends, girl friends, etc. We are usually there for more than just shooting doves and spend a lot of time in BA. It is pretty easy to find a girl friend there if that sort of thing is how you roll. (Not my speed but many of the guys I've traveled with really consider that a perk.)

Great advice about USD given the situation in Argentina. Be careful down there - times are changing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been twice in 2012 and 2013 but not with SYC. I'm not sure it matters as there are a lot of first class operations. I would echo a lot of the advice above. Eat a lot of beef, drink a lot of Malbec, don't worry about the shell bill. I took my shotgun both times, the paperwork was not so bad. Double check the serial number on your shotgun with the one on the paperwork they fill out. The second time I was there and they transposed two numbers of which I didn't find out until leaving. It ended up ok, but it could have been a problem. I would recommend shooting nothing but 28 ga or 410. It is way more fun than getting pounded by a 20 or 12. If you take your own, make sure they have plenty of the smaller shells and in particular 410. Mine would only take 2 1/2" and they ran out after a couple thousand and I had to switch to 28.

We added a side trip the first time to Mendoza for the vineyards and it was awesome. The second time we added some fly fishing on the Uruguay River for Golden Dorado. Next time I will add some fly fishing for the ocean run browns down south.

I hope you really enjoy yourself, these were some of my favorite trips ever and I fully intend to go back.

·
Registered
Beretta 694
52 Posts
Take various clothes to layer. Make sure you bring sunglasses as well as low light glasses as well. I always ask for the over and under as my fingers get raw from loading semi’s all day. Load songs on your phone or MP3 player so that you can listen to music on longer rides from the casa. Tip well, enjoy the Malbec, sunscreen and enjoy the food!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On day 2 of the trip, 2 more days to go. So far I've shot about 1,400 birds. Eduardo and his crew at Syc Sporting are really take care of me and the other party that is at the club. The way the birds fly is truly unbelievable until you have seen it and experienced it in person. The rib-eye and chorizo in the field were incredible. The fresh dove with fresh chimichuri at dinner are unbelievable. I'll have a pictures and an update later. I highly recommend this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts