Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to rant about this. I don't care who sings it. What color they are or what genre of music they sing be it Rock, Soul or Country. In my honest and Patriotic opinion, the National Anthem of our Great Country SHOULD be sung and/or played the way it was meant to with no deviations from the original sheet music. It doesn't have to be modernized or spiced up. It's quite beautiful the way it was written and sung by so many throughout the years. I'm afraid if I were in attendance at yesterday's Detroit Lions game, I would have had an adverse reaction to Aretha Franklin's 5 minute version. Am I just getting old and senile?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I did not hear it, but I certainly heard about it! I generally agree with you, that any major deviations should not be encouraged.
However, the people who are recruiting the performers do have the right to express how they would like it done before the actual performance. I guess they sign off on these things!

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
Let me tell you what's happening here. A few years back I paid 52 bucks a shot in Phoenix for a John Lee Hooker concert. It was a farce. the man was a zombie, they brought him out and sat him in a chair, and he hit the guitar a couple times and mumbled some unintelligible words. the rest of the show was a so-called "tribute" with his kid(not very good) and Coco Montoya and a few others doing covers of JLH stuff. Total ripoff.

3 years ago there was a "Ray Charles Christmas concert" here. Same thing. Ray was a hollow shell of a human being and the whole show was "Sing along with Ray" audience participation. Stunk.

I do believe ol' Aretha has hit the wall and her managers are milking it out for a few last bucks before finding another chump to represent.

Entertainers past their prime (and their managers) should know enough to quit when they're ahead.

HM

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I heard her rendition of the National Anthem. I thought it was the worst I have ever heard. I think Roseanne Barr's was almost better and that one was terrible. I noticed that a lot of people at the game did not applaud. It should be sung with respect, not murdered.

Alan

·
Registered
597 Posts
When everyone keeps telling you "How Great" you are , you now believe you can get away with anything.
That was Awful , Just AWFUL!
I used to like Aretha back in the 60`s
, but now her head has swelled up bigger than a Hot-Air Balloon.
I simply can`t listen to her anymore.
She exaggerates everything now , just like they do on all these singing shows.
BTW , Whitney Houston`s rendition will Never be Topped. Sorry Aretha....................
Regards , Pete

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I need to rant about this. I don't care who sings it. What color they are or what genre of music they sing be it Rock, Soul or Country. In my honest and Patriotic opinion, the National Anthem of our Great Country SHOULD be sung and/or played the way it was meant to with no deviations from the original sheet music. It doesn't have to be modernized or spiced up. It's quite beautiful the way it was written and sung by so many throughout the years. I'm afraid if I were in attendance at yesterday's Detroit Lions game, I would have had an adverse reaction to Aretha Franklin's 5 minute version. Am I just getting old and senile?
I have said this many times!!!! How the hell is anyone supposed to sing along with patriotic feelings when you can not tell where the hell they are in the song with all of the yips, yangs, and vibrato! It is written as such with notes so that all know the song, and can sign along with seriousness of patriotism. It should be an honor to be asked to sing it, not a spectacle. It is not meant to be a show of how you can sing it, and change it to impress people. Power in the voice, and feeling should be the only change because others that are singing along can match that. No wonder some forget the words, because they are thinking to much on how they are changing the notes of the song to make it their own personal rendition. You ever see other National Anthems sung differently? How about "O Canada"? I know we have some friends to the north here. I imagine some countries you would be shot.

It gets to the point of being the singers National Anthem, and not OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I too detest your anthem or ours being "enhanced" with a bunch of stupid yodeling.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
She's a self-indulgent has been. That chinchilla coat, the old lady voice and the audacity to take 5 min to sing a 1.5 min anthem. I hated it.

·
Premium Member
18,250 Posts
The way they sing it at the National Finals Rodeo is the best. Starts next Thursday. 10 performances. You don't see no cowboys kneeling or any of that pussy feel good shit.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
TV was on in another room as we were eating Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. I was able to hear the National Anthem, in a different distorted way, I got up, went to other TV, saw her beating on piano keys, mumbling, slobbering, and shut the TV off. I returned to the table my 83 YO. Mother ,,, Thanked me she said "no one should hear that crap!"

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
http://www.livescience.com/images/i...pg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=*:1000

Hey palos, I for one care. The National Anthem means a lot to me and others. Maybe more so to us Vets. Every time I hear it I just get somewhat overwhelmed with memories from service to the Flag? Of those who I served with that are no longer here to stand with me. I see you live in a gun hate state. Could possibly explain Your answer?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It sucked no question. This is one of my favorite versions...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts