Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems they are still two types of shooters.
Ones who cover the target usually with flat to flatter shooting guns and
Ones that float the target over the bead.
The flatter shooters (least the ones I asked) said they want to know precisely where there gun shoot and feel you cant do that with higher shooting guns.
Mike (coverier) w/ MX-8

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Coverier, many times I never see the target when I pull the trigger.
Am I a AA shooter, NO, but currently an A.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I like a flatter shooting gun, as I shoot all the disciplines, and it is easier to just shoot at the target, rather than float it, at everything except trap. I have trouble teaching my brain to switch back and forth, if I switch guns with different POIs.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,824 Posts
The flatter shooters (least the ones I asked) said they want to know precisely where there gun shoot and feel you cant do that with higher shooting guns.
My gun shoots 15" high at 40 yards and I know EXACTLY where it shoots. I don't pay any attention to my bead/bird relationship, as all my focus is on the target and my gun will follow. Every shooter is different, but for someone to say that a shooter doesn't know where his gun is shooting because it's a high shooter is just horse poop.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Mike the good shooter I know do not cover the bird, they don't float the bird.
They move he gun to the target, touch the target and the gun goes off.
They set up there gun to the POI that allows them to do that.

For me its a flat gun , for one of my regular squad mate
his gun shoot 6 inches high at 13 yards.
Neither of us floats or covers targets.

We are both AAA 27 AA

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
There is a third type of shooter .He sets his poi to shoot directly at the bottom of a rising target to break it . I have tried flat shooting guns it makes you shoot over targets . you have to see it to break it. At the moment you cover up the target it drops and you don't see it .The gun blocks the target scorekeeper says LOST. DONT FLOAT IT OR COVER IT UP . HW

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The two types of shooters you describe are the ones who never win. Learning to shoot instinctively is the path to success in the trap game, and aiming, or whatever you call it is never gonna lead to success. Touch & go or pull through, may work for crossers, but shooting at a rapidly rising, 42mph reseeding target at unpredictable angles does not work using those techniques. When you're playing infield and scoop up a grounder, do you aim your throw to the first baseman, or off balance, wing it sidearm? Practice enough and you'll throw the runner out... aim it, and a good many times it's gonna go in the stands.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm a right handed shooter but with both eyes open I literally could not tell you if I was just under or way over the target because my left eye sees it so well. After shooting 2 eyed for 60 years I now use a tape patch on my left eye lens after trying every other method in the book. It is called an age related crossfire problem.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I am a one-eyed, right handed shooter.

My combo POI at 40 yards the whole pattern sits on top of the POA.

My single barrel POI at 40 yards the POA is two inches up from the bottom of the pattern.

Both guns I hold at or below (depends on winds) the top of the house then I look at the 50 yrd stake or a little above. If I see the beads on either gun I'm looking back at the gun and not the target. When I do the right thing I don't see (notice) the gun barrel at all.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
My trap gun shoots 80/20 but I don't "float" the target;I shoot right at it while never stopping my swing. Done successfully the bird breaks. The target is RISING and the higher p.o.i. the gun shoots allows me to NOT have to cover the target to break it. Generally the faster you shoot,the higher the p.o.i needed. For bird hunting or skeet I don't need a higher p.o.i. since the target or bird is not rising fast enough to matter.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The better I point the better I shoot!

If the flat shooting gun gets between my pointing and the bird

Well at that point I have found it is almost impossible to hold my head on the stock!

When I lift my head..........

Well my pointing of view just goes to heck!

So I am a floatierer

That way my pointerier doesn't get compromised!

Reactions: arnold55

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Mike (coverier) w/ MX-8
Just like Neil continuously states, most people have no clue of their POI.

Just like their POI, most people couldn't explain to you how they shoot the Target but rather, how they think they shoot the Target.

If you don't know your guns POI, how do you know where your pointing to break it?

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Do not think I am either one.
My squad leader tells me I am an instinct shooter.
I see the target leave the house, after that I have no idea where my gun is in relation to the target, high, low, over, under.
My gun is set up to shoot where I look.
All my misses are my fault, just me, not the wind, sun, moon, other shooters, shells, ect etc etc
I shoot the bird very quickly in all 3 disiplines in trap.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I shoot everything, trap, skeet and sporting so a flat gun is the only way for me. Having one gun that shoots high makes no sense and believe me I have tried it..........

So to answer the question, I cover.

Reactions: arnold55

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
I don't try to "consciously" do anything when it comes to shooting a clay target after I say "pull".

I see the target appear and start my move. When the target comes into sharp focus, I pull the trigger and watch it break (hopefully) off the end of my gun barrel.

FYI, my POI is approximately 55/45 (between 60/40 and 50/50) and I shoot skeet, trap, skrap, sporting clays, FITASC and a little bunker with this gun.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts