Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a registered shoot a couple of weeks back and didn't do very well at all. To me the targets were not consistent between trap fields and not set per regulation, I asked a few others and they agreed. I never shot there before and didn't see any targets throw before I paid for Singles and Handicap. Everyone shot on the same 4 traps (25 each) and moving from one to the next was hard to do as one was super fast with wild hard rights and the other was slow but high and so on. After the singles I went to shoot management and asked if they set the targets by radar gun and he said yes. I asked him to check the targets as they were fast on one and slow on another, he said OK but then asked me if I know how to use the gun and could check. I have not done it before and told him so. It is odd he didn't know or just go to the person that set up the traps to begin with, which leads me to believe no one set it at all. I did not see anyone go out to check the traps and the shoot went on. There were a few things off with me as well and that same guy had a 99 in singles (comfortable at his own club, maybe?). I won't denounce the cub, I am sure many like it and want to shoot there, but I am not sure I want to go back. I am on the fence, I want to go back because I like a challenge and I want to conquer the club but I spent $73 that day and had a horrible time. Is it worth the money to go back and take my chances, I don't know.

I use to think it strange when shooter I know would say "I don't like the target at <insert name here> club, I'm not going to that shoot", but now maybe I understand a little.

How about you, are there clubs you won't shoot at? (No need to name the clubs).

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have a couple clubs that when I go there I know targets can be erratic. Setting target speed requires a radar gun that be properly checked with a tuning fork. This is only the first step in the process. If the gun is registering properly, the targets can be checked from the 16 yard line on post 3. A lot of people don't realize that with most hand held radar guns, the speed of the target must be measured in a straight line going away or coming straight at the gun. If you measure bird speed at an angle, something known as the cosine effect comes into play and speed will show as slower than what they really are. Setting proper height is much easier as most clubs have a t-bar to measure the proper height.
We check both traps on our field on a weekly basis. Over time spring tensions can change and small adjustments may be necessary. If a regular schedule is developed, it can save a lot of grumbling and complaining down the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are clubs that I will avoid and one in particular that I'll never go back to. The one I will never go back to I shot a 50 out of 50 at a Lewis shoot and never received anything. So how many times before did I hit a paying number and not get paid there?

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Just shoot the targets and have a good time. There will be plenty of days you will go to a shoot and the targets will not be perfect. Its good to practice on every field you can, and in the worst conditions you can shoot them in. You have no idea how good the targets will be, or what the weather will be like when you go to a big shoot!!! So prepare at your home club shoots for the worst conditions. It will work to your advantage someday. break em all jeff

·
Registered
278 Posts
So I'm still a relatively newby, and my skill level isn't close to some of the shooters on this forum, but I've always wondered about this. So far, I've shot a bunch of rounds at three different clubs and one or two rounds at two other clubs and I find that there are some clubs I seem to shoot pretty well at and others where I tend to struggle. Shot a lot at two different clubs in upstate NY. At one club I've shot a couple of 25's and usually average is probably a little over 22. At the other club I've never shot a 25 and my average is closer to a 21. I've shot a couple of thousand rounds at each of these clubs. Both have some pretty serious trap shooters, although I'm not sure either really checks the speed of their traps on a regular basis.

Am now in Colorado and have probably shot about 400 rounds here. Even though I am now shooting only once a week (as opposed to 3-4 times a week when I was in NY) I find the targets here the easiest. I've shot three 25's a bunch of 24's and am probably averaging around a 23. Plus the targets just seem easier. Not sure if it's the altitude (about 8000 feet) the fact that the background open desert rather than heavily forested trees, or that the targets are slower (it seem like it).

I assume more talented shooters are less affected by slight variations in target presentation, background, etc. and just crush them all; but I definitely seem to shoot better at some clubs than at others.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is a small club in the area where I grew up that did a nice business in selling beer. There was no other beer joint in town and beer sales went a long way towards supporting the club. Shooting fees were quite low. I only shot there a few times but at one point I decided I was finished there. Evidently shooters were expected to police themselves about drinking and shooting. I saw some pretty loaded people shooting after drinking to much.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
So I'm still a relatively newby, and my skill level isn't close to some of the shooters on this forum, but I've always wondered about this. So far, I've shot a bunch of rounds at three different clubs and one or two rounds at two other clubs and I find that there are some clubs I seem to shoot pretty well at and others where I tend to struggle. Shot a lot at two different clubs in upstate NY. At one club I've shot a couple of 25's and usually average is probably a little over 22. At the other club I've never shot a 25 and my average is closer to a 21. I've shot a couple of thousand rounds at each of these clubs. Both have some pretty serious trap shooters, although I'm not sure either really checks the speed of their traps on a regular basis.

Am now in Colorado and have probably shot about 400 rounds here. Even though I am now shooting only once a week (as opposed to 3-4 times a week when I was in NY) I find the targets here the easiest. I've shot three 25's a bunch of 24's and am probably averaging around a 23. Plus the targets just seem easier. Not sure if it's the altitude (about 8000 feet) the fact that the background open desert rather than heavily forested trees, or that the targets are slower (it seem like it).

I assume more talented shooters are less affected by slight variations in target presentation, background, etc. and just crush them all; but I definitely seem to shoot better at some clubs than at others.
Shooting in the Northeast is the most complicated place on Earth.

What clubs were you at?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's a mental game also. So if you step up to the line having confidence from previous success it's going to help. Also certain shooting area's just look better to you giving you confidence from the start equaling better scores.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I have 2 clubs I’ll never shoot at ever again. They are in different states but they made my list of 2.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I shoot on a local 8 club league. The last time I at this particular club. I walked all the way to the club house from the parking lot. Only to find the clubhouse locked. I needed to use the restroom, and they are in the clubhouse. I dont walk so good, I was being polite as there were many women and young shooters around.
I found that the club officers squad together and lock the clubhouse when they leave. I shot well there. There was very little anyone could take besides the league scoring sheets, and a poop.
I wandered into the weeds. Wish I had left it on the welcome mat for the officers to find on returning.
That was 6 shoots ago. I will not go back!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The answer is yes, and unfortunately, it's the club closest to where I live.

What a circus that place is.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
There is one in middle TENN. along I-24 that I have NO desire to shoot at because, the guy that was running it (at least he was running it the last time I was there) was a pure @$$ W#0le . I had shot there a few times before with my daughter and it was a pleasant experience but, a few years ago ( before my daughter quit shooting ) we stopped there to shoot some practice. There were 2 open fields but he refused to let us shoot because he said he had "teams coming" ( not one team should up while we were there )! Some people ( clearly his pals ) showed up after we did and he let them shoot. He said we could shoot with them if they would "LET US" , ( they wouldn't ) ! Before we left my daughter started to go to the rest room and this jerk gave her some hateful lecture about women using too much toilet paper . To say this scum bag was a rude SOB would be an understatement ! He wasn't just an @$$ W#o!e , he was a FLAMING @$$ W#ole !! Never went back --Don't plan on it either !

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have about 5 clubs I shoot ATA targets at regularly. Some are run better than others but none are run so poorly that I wouldn't go back. Likewise some have better backgrounds than others but none keep me away. This was going to be the year I was going to make a conscious effort to try some new places. Had them on the calendar.. and then this stupid virus popped up and many got canceled.

Interestingly the club I belong to nearest my house, is where I typically shoot my worst scores. Although they don't throw ATA targets, just a lot of league shooting.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Getting there.

When the majority of the people you talk with complain about a particular club, it's not just you.

What's more, if your main focus is ATA you develop your game around those target settings. When you go someplace that doesn't follow ATA guidelines for target settings, it can mess with your head.

So IMO you have two options...

1. Shake your head along with the rest of the people that say "this sure is a tough place to shoot"

2. Stay away and lessen the likelihood of mind games.

Yea, yea, yea, a good shooter knows how to adjust...I get that. Save your breath.

·
Vendor
863 Posts
I’ll be there if you throw registered and you’re near my home. Some of these clubs are far from perfect, but I’m grateful they go through the hassle and again ... I’ll be there.

Now, if it’s something like @slide action noted, then definitely count me out.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to clarify a few points. I love to shoot and I am willing to shoot anywhere BUT when I go to a registered ATA shoot I am there to compete and I expect the traps to be set up per the rules and to have a fair chance at competing. There are a lot of clubs around me and I even have a trap field set up in my back yard (with an Atlas trap), so I can shoot anytime I want and as much as I can afford. I drove 2 hours to get to this particular shoot and spent a good deal of money; I was there to shoot registered ATA targets and I expected better. I usually shoot in the high 20's and I did have a 24 on one trap field there that day but my last two rounds I hit 16 and 17 which is very very unusual for me. It did mess with my head, shooting that badly, but the next two days in my back yard and at a club closer to me I was shooting as expected.

Anyway I would gladly go back for a fun shoot but not for a registered ATA shoot.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I haven’t come across a trap club that I refuse to go back to... yet.

Rifle/pistol, is quite another matter. At an unnamed military base in central NJ that some of you probably have been at, the punk a$$ kids they call “range masters” (civilian) have an attitude akin to a rattlesnake.

I’d rather not shoot than put up with their crap.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The answer is yes, and unfortunately, it's the club closest to where I live.

What a circus that place is.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!
Sounds like the club I went to yesterday, they post rules and do not follow them. Not sure when I will be going back. Unfortunately it was the guy running the table that day - and they wonder why they are not attracting new members. A lot of older shooters that are set in their ways.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I went to a registered shoot a couple of weeks back and didn't do very well at all. To me the targets were not consistent between trap fields and not set per regulation, I asked a few others and they agreed. I never shot there before and didn't see any targets throw before I paid for Singles and Handicap. Everyone shot on the same 4 traps (25 each) and moving from one to the next was hard to do as one was super fast with wild hard rights and the other was slow but high and so on. After the singles I went to shoot management and asked if they set the targets by radar gun and he said yes. I asked him to check the targets as they were fast on one and slow on another, he said OK but then asked me if I know how to use the gun and could check. I have not done it before and told him so. It is odd he didn't know or just go to the person that set up the traps to begin with, which leads me to believe no one set it at all. I did not see anyone go out to check the traps and the shoot went on. There were a few things off with me as well and that same guy had a 99 in singles (comfortable at his own club, maybe?). I won't denounce the cub, I am sure many like it and want to shoot there, but I am not sure I want to go back. I am on the fence, I want to go back because I like a challenge and I want to conquer the club but I spent $73 that day and had a horrible time. Is it worth the money to go back and take my chances, I don't know.

I use to think it strange when shooter I know would say "I don't like the target at <insert name here> club, I'm not going to that shoot", but now maybe I understand a little.

How about you, are there clubs you won't shoot at? (No need to name the clubs).
If a club receives multiple complaints, then it's up to them to look into the issue and resolve it, not only for those who have expressed a problem, but also for the long term image of the club. If, in the end, with everything checked, inspected and adjusted where necessary, it should be a go for all concerned. Where, if nothing is done to follow up on all of the complaints, then the best message to send is to no longer shoot there. In all the years I've shot, that situation occurred at one club, and the issue was lighting for night shooting. It was abysmal, and the club refused to acknowledge the problem. It wasn't until league shooting at night dropped off significantly did that club finally look at the problem and resolve it with much better lights.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts