Discussion Starter #1
Y'all may have argued about this before but I missed it sorry
Monty

And as dumb as I am I know the hull is different but I'm not a reloader
Winchester sorry

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I'm sure that most of the shells share the same components, like wads and primers. Powders and the antimony content of the lead will vary.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
The hull is different from the AA . Same type construction but made of cheaper plastic and has a steel base. Powder is a different mixture and shot is softer ( less antimony). Primer and wad are the same.

·
Registered
722 Posts
No need for “premium” ammo – you’re just paying for fancy boxes, right?

If you think the cram the same components into AA and Winchester Super Targets and the Walmart Winchester econo 4 packs then you are truly gifted.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Didn't Neal Winston do a pretty exhaustive comparison between the manufacturer's premium and economy shells withregard to pellet count, shot hardness etc. I found that pretty interesting.....

K

·
Registered
722 Posts
the only thing you really need to compare is score sheets/leader board – don’t believe me?
Just look at what kind of ammo the leaders and pros use – never seen any of them break out a Walmart econo 4 pack for the win, coincidence I think not.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baron Von
I agree with you but I'd like to know the facts only and if you don't know it's just your opinion..I'm not looking for an opinion.Years ago Texas Instruments made a small calculator that cost $500. but if you paid $1000. it would have a square root button. Guess what.. all you had to do was take the cover off and pull a shim off that disabled the button cost too much to make two different calculators...just one of thousands of examples.

·
Registered
722 Posts
the fact is you can shoot premium shells for the price of economy shells - try it for yourself, but if you're like 90% of shooters who are beat and honestly believe they have no chance before they even get to the line it makes no diffrence what ammo you're using, take your 72 score and walk away with a moral victory.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I have no doubt that there are differences in "premium shells" and econo shells" - exactly what that difference may be and what impact it may have on performance and score is perhaps debatable. It would be logical for the company to use "less expensive" hulls and shot (less antimony - less cost per ton). As for primer, powder and wads - I would doubt that they would go to the trouble of setting up a different production line for those --- they may used different ones in diffident shells but it would not be economical to to gear up a process exclusively for the econo shell - I bet those components are used in other lines - like the "dove and quail" loads etc.
Back to Romie's point and example --- the operative word is Marketing. I have some experience in the agricultural chemical side of things --- it was not unusual for a company to have a product X sold to row crop farmers at a set price and then take the exact same active ingredient, made in the exact same plant - put it in a different package - and label it and price it to be sold in the commercial (golf course) turf market , and oh yeah, at a significantly higher price. Market specific pricing ---- those marketing folks probably went to the same school.
I could be totally wrong - but I would be willing to bet that if an all-american (you fill in the blank) - shot 5000 16 yard targets with premium shells and 5000 with econo shells, in an extended test, that the difference in the score would be difficult to measure and the difference would be due to chance as much or more than shell------
For me, if the price is within reason I will shoot the premium shells as the hulls have a value to me.
By the way, I have a shooting buddy who, several years ago, got punched to the 27 at the Grand using the el'cheapo Wal Mart Federal 4-paks.
Your mileage may vary ----

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Winchester Super Targets are a quality shell with quality components. Winchester 4-pack Universals are not a quality shell. The problem for Winchester is the Super Targets look like Universals on the outside.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
the only thing you really need to compare is score sheets/leader board – don’t believe me?
Just look at what kind of ammo the leaders and pros use – never seen any of them break out a Walmart econo 4 pack for the win, coincidence I think not.
Actually I read at this site of a California All-American that bought a 4-pack on the way to a shoot, then broke a 100x100 from the 27 yard-line with them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You are absolutely right and I am absolutely wrong – just for the heck of it - let’s see just how many economy 4 packs there are on the line at the shoot offs during the Grand this year.
“You can shoot AA’s for the price of economy shells with rebate”

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Baron Von
I agree somewhat with you I shoot the AA's and I'm going to shoot them at competitions and I know they are the best I can buy I like the soft tap. My buddy shot the Winchester's last weekend and had two that were hard to get in his gun one had a lite Pop sound when he shot it even though he broke the target..
Just curious
Monty

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The higher the stakes, the better ammunition I buy. I'm fine with shooting white box and Estates for practice and Sunday shoots. I do have a mental block with using them for something I really care about winning.

That being said, I'd love to read Neil's article if anyone has a link to it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts