Are BT99's to old school? | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are BT99's to old school?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stcase, Jun 30, 2020.

1. stcase

stcase TS Member

Thinking about buying a BT99 golden clays. For the money should I think about something like the Krieghoff KX6 with the higher rib? Any thoughts. Currently shooting a BT99 plain model.

2. plaw

plaw Well-Known Member

For the price of the single barrel kx6 you can buy a browning 725 combo ,take a look on guns unlimited .

stcase, bt99shooter25 and BadaBing11 thanked this.
  3. Rabbit-hunter

Rabbit-hunter Well-Known Member

From my perspective the BT99 is still plenty capable of getting the job done. As far as I can tell the targets haven't changed and the yardages are still the same.
    The BT99 , 725 or the KX6 whichever one you want will break the clays if you do your part

slide action, stcase, entropy and 4 others thanked this.
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Did you really just ask if you should buy a Browning or a Krieghoff? Sure you are not just wanting someone to give you the ok to buy the Krieghoff?

stcase thanked this.
  5. Retxt

Retxt Banned User Banned

Buy what you like, your the one shooting it. It’s your money.

slide action, BerettaGuy106 and stcase thanked this.
  6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Most trapshooters would be better of buying a BT99, a grand worth of shells, and a grand worth of less than spending $3500 on a gun... MANY more would be better off buying a BT99, 2 grand worth of shells, and 2 grand worth of less than spending $5500 on a gun.

That being said, if you are looking to upgrade, it would make ZERO sense to buy a prettier version of the gun you already own instead of making a SERIOUS upgrade in the quality and longevity when the price is the same.

Rib has nothing to do with it, shoot whatever rib you're comfortable with.

I kinda view your question as "should I put a loud muffler, new paint job, and spoiler on a Honda Civic, or buy a stock BMW, the price is the same".

Pap4, cna76, trapshootinkid25 and 9 others thanked this.
  7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Is a BT99 too old school???? HA, HA,HA, HA,HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist. What a question!

Pap4, Jack Ryan and Leo thanked this.
  8. BadaBing11

BadaBing11 Well-Known Member

Im from the old school! I find it beats a lot of new school pretty regular. I prefer proven over trendy. They said, I'd rather put my money into feel. functionality, fit and longevity than fancy engraving. But that's prolly cause Im cheap

Superglide, stcase, Jack R and 1 other person thanked this.
  9. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

If you are searching for a reason to replace the BT-99, then find a high condition Ljutic Mono with suitable dimensions for you and the rib of your choice. The down side is that you will never have an excuse to search for a different SBT. The money you save in a life time of buying different shotguns that are unnecessary will buy lots of targets and ammo. Your scores will thank you. Good luck.

10. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee Active Member

If your interested in buying a different BT-99 I would look into the BT-99 plus. I think its a overlooked gun. Bling doesn't break targets.

stcase, Jack R and 1DIRT thanked this.
  11. sacky07

sacky07 Member

The new plus or the old plus?(like BT-99AR)

stcase thanked this.
  12. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

The new Plus. But like with any new to you gun try and shoot it before you buy it. Looks does not break birds.

stcase thanked this.
  13. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee Active Member

The new, can be found new or used, great gun. Get with adjustable comb, butt plate to adjust to you.

stcase thanked this.
  14. Bigcat

Bigcat Well-Known Member

I sold my 72 that I shot very well for over 45 years,it was worn out still a mistake.
    I just up graded to a new to me 77 that crushes targets.

acorange thanked this.
  15. sacky07

sacky07 Member

Yep. I have one. Its at rods now getting RAD 2a and soft comb installed.

hotrodyankee thanked this.
  16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Well-Known Member

Dang! If that is old school, I must be in the one room schoolhouse on the prairie with my 870TB.

pbansen, saskbooknut, Apex and 1 other person thanked this.
  17. oldshotgunner

oldshotgunner Active Member

A friend I shoot with has a modified BT with a 3/4" Add a Rib and a PFS and he smokes targets with it. My suggestion would be to do the same to your "old" BT, $1,200.00 and you've got a totally up to date gun. The high rib allows you to shoot a more head up stance and the PFS adjusts all the other BT fit problems. I shoot a KX6 special and absolutely love it but let's see, $6000.00 for a new one VS. $1,200 for the mods to the BT that will shoot extremely well. If you're a long yardage handicap shooter maybe the K would be best but for 16 - 20 yard shooters a modified BT is tough to beat.

stcase thanked this.
  18. kmag

kmag Active Member

I shoot in a trap league with an older gentleman on my team. He shoots a BT99. Somebody recently asked him when he got the gun and he said he bought it when he started shooting trap in 1971. He shoots just fine with it. I don't really think it's a question of old school vs. new. Just a question of what gun fits you and what you can afford.

stcase thanked this.
  19. henrydog

henrydog Well-Known Member

I own several BT's from the 70's which I shot. 3 years ago I bought a used BT Golden Clays for less than half of MSRP.

It has taken me from the 21 to the 26.5 and from C to A or AA depending on the weekend. My thought process was they are wallet friendly and easy to work on. I looked at much more expensive guns, but I would rather spend the extra cash on shells...and I have.

There is nothing wrong with a BT, it is just the generation that grew up shooting them have either passed, or retired and bought a prettier gun because they could. There fathers shot Model 12's and called BT's a new fad.

phatkaw, stcase, acorange and 1 other person thanked this.
  20. Ken C.

Ken C. Well-Known Member

Psst... buy the gun that fits, at a price your comfortable with.

Are you trying to justify this purchase to yourself or your significant other? Tens of thousands of people have or have had Browning firearms. You knew the answer before you asked the question.

Candy B thanked this.