Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than $800, whats a good brand to buy? Leaning towards the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 just because I know the name and it has a pretty good rep. Would like to buy something that can be upgraded, down the road; barrel, trigger, bolt, etc. Mainly plinking and reloading, less than 1000 rounds a year.

Anyone have any recomendations or experience? So many models to choose from and it gets confusing as most of the big manufactuers also sell uppers/lowers, pieces and parts. Still learning the AR lingo......

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
Less than $800, whats a good brand to buy? Leaning towards the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 just because I know the name and it has a pretty good rep. Would like to buy something that can be upgraded, down the road; barrel, trigger, bolt, etc. Mainly plinking and reloading, less than 1000 rounds a year.

Anyone have any recomendations or experience? So many models to choose from and it gets confusing as most of the big manufactuers also sell uppers/lowers, pieces and parts. Still learning the AR lingo......
Go to Palmetto State Armory and find a build kit.

You won't find a better, less expensive, rifle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also agree with building them it’s the best way to get exactly what you want. The options are endless and it is a simple process that doesn’t require many tools.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Leaning towards the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 just because I know the name and it has a pretty good rep
My opinion is NOT to buy a Smith.
I've upgraded/modified 3 of them and they really didn't run right until I put a different upper receiver on them. I sent hundreds of rounds down range trying to figure out whet the heck was 'wrong' with the damn things and never did !
A forth - just a couple weeks ago, it was an older one (I think) that didn't have the forward assist ran fine... ??? weird

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
Check out LaRue Tactical. I bought a complete 20” upper from them and it was pretty sweet.
I started with a Rock River striped lower, spikes tactical lower parts kit, Chip McCormick drop in trigger, I decked everything out in FDE.

There is a lot of info on the web about building one. Do the research and don’t skimp on parts. You can get some good deals if you are not in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
The fact of the matter is, you're late to the game.

And, besides being late, you're trying to get in during a "panic."

So you're going to be impacted with longer wait times, for one thing.

And, you're probably not going to shoot just 1,000 rounds a year either.

Keep in mind that buying the rifle is just the start.

You should also have a fair number of magazines, like 10, to start with.

And an optic. A red dot will do fine. I'd recommend a SIG Romeo 5. They can be had for about $120 most places.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
...and top the AR pistol with a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot.

Edit: V10 beat me to it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
...and top the AR pistol with a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot.

Edit: V10 beat me to it.
That's what I got for my POF Wonder. PSA had them bundled with 10 thirty round mags for $200 a couple months ago. POF is on the pricier side of things, but you'll be hard pressed to find better quality without spending even more. And, you'll never find a trigger as good as theirs.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
10 mags = 300 rounds......you shoot that in one sitting?? How many rounds can you get out if one of these before the barrel is toast? .223 or 6.5 CM

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
10 mags = 300 rounds......you shoot that in one sitting?? How many rounds can you get out if one of these before the barrel is toast? .223 or 6.5 CM
6.5 CM requires an AR10 platform. 6.5 Grendel can be put in an AR15 platform.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts