Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interestd in replacing factory trigger, looking at Timney.
Will mostly be used for varmit hunting, coyotes this fall - winter.
Need a better trigger than factory for this.
Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
The Timney will work as advertised, but I always thought of them as a weird design. The hammer and trigger pins are essentially loose in the lower receiver( not held captive by the legs of the hammer springs). They are to be held in place by two set screws that raise the trigger assembly away from the floor of the lower receiver, forcing it against the hammer/trigger pins to hold them in place. I have one in my AR10 and though it works just like they say (crisp 4lb letoff) I wonder how this design will hold up under heavy use.

I believe a Jard or Geissele would be worth looking at, though I can't speak from experience since I don't own either. Their names seem to come up fairly often when AR triggers are discussed.

Home

Triggers

If money is an object, this guy can take your trigger assembly and modify it for a lot less cash. Not really a target trigger, but definitely an improvement over stock.
Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net

Once you have the hammer and trigger out of your rifle, you might be surprised the improvement just polishing the sear surfaces(crocus cloth) can do. It won't lighten the pull, but at least it doesn't feel like there's sand in it either.;)

Also, ar15.com is a good place to research this question too.

Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have an AR GOLD. 3lbs;crisp and beat the Hell out of the stock trigger in my S and W M and P Tactical which had to be at LEAST 10 lbs and full of creep. Simple drop in replacement...I will never have an AR 15 without a replacement trigger. In fact I automatically budget in a drop in trigger when I buy one...mil spec triggers are HORRID.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I used Jewell triggers at least 5 AR platform rifles for years, they were the best at the time. The Geissele is the top dog now, at least as far as two stage target triggers go. I have three of them. Of course for $300 they better be. For a nicer single stage trigger there are lots of good ones. The drop in Timney is certainly a good one. The old adjustable JP products that replaces the stock trigger 1/2 while retaining the original hammer is a proven, dependable way to upgrade a single stage trigger, and probably the cheapest. (they are a little tricky to install in the COLT lowers that have the government "safety" block, but can be done) I have been around competitive AR shooters since 1995, and I have not heard about any brand being bad in the last 10 years.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
You may want to look at the Chip McCormick drop-in triggers (either single or two stage) for the AR. I have the single stage in one if my ARs, and the Geissele, and JP in the others. The former is a little pricey, and JP can be tricky to intall. The CMcC ran me about $160 and it's an excellent trigger; real easy to install.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I looked at the CMC drop in, the install video is very helpful. What is the difference between the single stage and two stage triggers?

Pat

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P3AT,
Good question, maybe we both will learn something.
My take on it is that the single stage is most commonly used in hunting situations.
The 2 stage is most commonly used in competition.
We will both find out from the people that really know.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
A 2 stage trigger is a blend of safety of a conventional trigger and light touch of a target (hair) trigger. When you are shooting precision aimed shot, the lighter the trigger the better. A trigger pull that is measured in ounces instead of pounds is a delight for a heavy, benchrest only rifle. That also makes the rifle unsuitable for almost any other use.

In practice, say a 2 stage trigger has a combined pull weight of 4.5 lbs, a really nice weight for a good single stage hunting rifle. Safe to handle, etc. With the stages, say the 1st stage is 2-3/4 lbs. Standing up and trying to make a shot at 200 yards, with no additional support of the rifle. You gently pull the trigger back through the 1st stage, and pause. You will then insure your target picture/sight alignment is as good as humanly possible. Your finger forgets there is already 2-3/4 pounds of tension pulling the trigger. When the sight alignment is perfect, a very slight increase on the trigger drops the hammer without shaking the rifle off target.

It takes way more words to describe it as motions to do it. I have been shooting 2 stage triggers in service rifles for 30 plus years, it is 2nd nature. Align sights, pull trigger back, fine tune sights, pull a very little more, BANG! maybe 1 or 2 seconds of time. Of course if you want to make a quick shot on a big object up close, you can still point the rifle and slap the trigger like any other rifle.

They really are not new, the M1 service rifle and the M14 rifles had 2 stage triggers right from the armory.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Geissele is the best out there. I own multiple, they are pricey, but really nice.

Reactions: rapid86 and o-hale

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HuffinK5,
I did take a look at them at your suggestion, they all seen to be 2 stage triggers.
Not sure I want that on a hunting gun.

·
Registered
155 Posts
HuffinK5,
I did take a look at them at your suggestion, they all seen to be 2 stage triggers.
Not sure I want that on a hunting gun.

Take a look at the Super 3 Gun trigger, it is a single stage. I have all 2 stage triggers on my ARs, including my 6.8 SPC, which is almost exclusively a hunting rifle, and when a whitetail or hog jumps up in front of you, you are not really thinking about the first or second stage of trigger pull...you just squeeze the trigger.

Reactions: o-hale

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a have had experience with timney and jard triggers for the ar platform. The timney is set and ready to go from the box. The jard requires tuning and once tuned is a very nice trigger.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have had many guns given "trigger jobs". The AR platform stock trigger is crap. I am a firm believer in Timney. They go through alot more rounds on shotguns and hold up well. I put one in my AR10. No worries. They offer a variety of options.
RW

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love my Geisse let on my hunting AR. I got a great BLack Friday deal on it. Like Huffington said, you won't even think about 2 stage or 1 of you're making a quick shot.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I believe that if you spend some range time with a 2-stage AR trigger, either the "varmint" variety commonly set-up for 3-1/2# total pull or the "service match" variety commonly set-up for 4-1/2# you will find that you prefer the feel to a single-stage set at the same total weight. I've tried many of the available 2-stage triggers and currently hunt with a Rock River 2-stage set up for 4-1/2#. My service match has a Jewell also at 4-1/2#. -Ed

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Went from a Rock River two stage match to a Jewel two stage match in my Colt match service rifle. Scores improved. If you haven't tried a good two stage match trigger you have to give it a try.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts