Trapshooters Forum banner

Approved target list as of June 2021

2808 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  C-Money
I find this very interesting. A fair amount of clubs throw Caldwells. I personally hate them, but lots of clubs like them because they are cheap. They are not on the approved list per this memo from Gibson.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,106 Posts
Some clubs may opt to throw them because they are excatly as you said, cheap. This is fine if they are using them for practice rounds or other club shoots. My opinion is if I am paying for registered targets, I deserve to see a quality target.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some clubs may opt to throw them because they are excatly as you said, cheap. This is fine if they are using them for practice rounds or other club shoots. My opinion is if I am paying for registered targets, I deserve to see a quality target.

That is exactly my point. I have been to many ATA shoots with Caldwells, in fact one was Western Zone location last year. I wonder if all clubs got this memo.

Reactions: West

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use to think the Bio targets were armor plated. Never really paid much attention target brand. Anyone know what brand Colton is throwing this weekend? Looking forward to shooting there tomorrow.
The last couple of years they have thrown Caldwells. 3 years ago mid shoot they switched from WF pitch to Caldwells and scores tanked, I was there all 3 days. Look at Zone scores, Colton is never competitive to the rest of the zone clubs.

Reactions: C-Money

· Registered
1,303 Posts
I just looked at the program for Colton, and I didn't see a target brand listed. I could have missed it. Regardless of what they are tossing, it will be a fun time. Should be a little cooler tomorrow. Somehow, I have never shot there. My Dad always had good things to say of Colton.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found that if the program says nothing it is normally a caldwell in our area. Colton is a nice club, clean well kept grounds. If you just want to have fun, its a good club. If you are hunting for points in the Zone then you have to drive.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess my real question is I have shot about 1000 ATA birds that have been "unapproved birds" so obviously there is no enforcement. What if (I am not doing it I just don't shoot those clubs anymore) someone was to protest a shoot due to "unapproved birds" What would happen? I have no idea I am just wondering.

· Registered
5,692 Posts
D. TARGETS
No target shall measure more than four and five-sixteenths (4 5/16) inches
in diameter, and not more than one and one-eighth (1 1/8) inches in height.
A target shall not weigh less than 95 grams or more than 105 grams with
an allowable variation of plus or minus 5 grams per target lot. A target lot
is defined as all targets with the same production number.

How hard are these specs to meet?

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
D. TARGETS
No target shall measure more than four and five-sixteenths (4 5/16) inches
in diameter, and not more than one and one-eighth (1 1/8) inches in height.
A target shall not weigh less than 95 grams or more than 105 grams with
an allowable variation of plus or minus 5 grams per target lot. A target lot
is defined as all targets with the same production number.

How hard are these specs to meet?
I am not arguing the rule book. The question is what if a club throws a ATA shoot and does not use the birds listed on Gibson's list

· Registered
441 Posts
The 'List' didn't come out till last month. What was the approved targets before that? Not to start an argument or sound nasty but if Caldwell targets meet the specs in the official handbook rules there legal. Doesn't matter what Gibson says.

· Registered
5,692 Posts
I am not arguing the rule book. The question is what if a club throws a ATA shoot and does not use the birds listed on Gibson's list

Well, the only rational response has to be to void all scores shot at the "Illegal" targets and refund all the ATA shoot fees to the members who paid them. I assume the ATA will be releasing why certain targets didn't meet the specifications in the Rule Book.

· Premium Member
793 Posts
I guess my real question is I have shot about 1000 ATA birds that have been "unapproved birds" so obviously there is no enforcement. What if (I am not doing it I just don't shoot those clubs anymore) someone was to protest a shoot due to "unapproved birds" What would happen? I have no idea I am just wondering.
Just curious, what was the unapproved brand and where did you shoot them? Not looking for club name just country or state?

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Caldwell true flight. They are made in BC and with the exchange rate cheap. A lot of clubs throw them in Wa Or and Id because they are cheap. I am not trying to cause a uproar, just asking the question.
Just curious, what was the unapproved brand and where did you shoot them? Not looking for club name just country or state?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.