Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was minding my own business when my dad calls and asks me to bring him some gun oil. This struck me as odd since I was sure he had some on top of his safe. Upon arriving he says hey check this out, and hands me his new to him BT-99 12G, 34" with fixed IM choke.
Based on the research I've done so far I think it's an old style as it does have engraving. The top lever is just right of center, the bore is clean and doesn't show any pitting, the bluing is probably 95%, and the wood is in great shape with only very minor handling marks.
Since I am the family go to guy, are there any particulars I should know about the BT-99?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Year of manufacture can be found under the release lever from 69 to I think 72 the date will be at the start of the numbers sometimes reversed. After that look for the 2 letter code rr = 77 they work backwards z=0 some letters skipped. If it locks upright of center but kind of soft on the lever you might want to look into a spring kit for it j p sells them and on the venders section inexpensive but can be tricky to install.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Year of manufacture can be found under the release lever from 69 to I think 72 the date will be at the start of the numbers sometimes reversed. After that look for the 2 letter code rr = 77 they work backwards z=0 some letters skipped. If it locks upright of center but kind of soft on the lever you might want to look into a spring kit for it j p sells them and on the venders section inexpensive but can be tricky to install.
It seems to lock up good & tight and the top lever isn't as stiff as the one on my new CX, but I wouldn't call it soft either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just finished doing a springs and firing pin replacement on 2 of mine 69 & 77, the kits are only $30 but it takes some specialized tools to install them the main spring and lock spring will definitely make a difference.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished doing a springs and firing pin replacement on 2 of mine 69 & 77, the kits are only $30 but it takes some specialized tools to install them the main spring and lock spring will definitely make a difference.
The gun club where he boght it said they know a gunsmith that would freshen it up for $250 total.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I bought a used one with 2 barrels and a case for short money at Riley's several years ago and went to shoot it at the pattern board to check the POI. Shot a couple of shellls and went to look at where it hit, wasn't even on the cardboard! I am thinking WTF and shot a few more and finally got a little on the cardboard. I tried shooting and couldn't hit crap. Was told by an old timer that the early BT 99's were great handicap guns from the 27. A week later I sold it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Depends what year it was made early ones until 75 were farely flat 60/40 then for a few years they made them with a higher poi 77 were supposed to be 90/10 they are sought after for handicap and games but most shooters at that time couldn't figure them out. I've got one of those it's also got an extremely tight choke .042 great for handicap. After that they stated lowering the poi back down to about 70/30.

·
Administrator
8,587 Posts
The gun club where he boght it said they know a gunsmith that would freshen it up for $250 total.
always get a quote with job details before giving the ok to go ahead. If the barrel...stock and basics are in good shape and the shotgun is reliable in the way it locks up and fires the gunsmith needs to tell what $250.00 of freshening up will get you.......esp. on a basic action like a bt 99.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about this ! If it is safe to shoot................DO IT.
........ Then go get some fresh air........
Enjoy the gun.

That is what we plan to do. I was just curious if there was anything particular to the BT99 that I should be aware of to share with my dad.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
That is what we plan to do. I was just curious if there was anything particular to the BT99 that I should be aware of to share with my dad.
I found that on the older BT99's factory stocks would fit inconsistently from one to the next. This is when I was much younger and could tell the difference by my scores too. I hope he likes it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts