Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I developed bad tinnitus almost a year ago and I haven't shot anything since, honestly I'm kind of afraid at doing more dmg. I can't really mask my T anymore, thankfully I don't hear it over a shower-head. Folks tell me I take a big risk at increasing my T if I go shooting, even with doubled ear protection due to bone conductivity. I always wore ear plugs while shooting but I guess it just wasn't adequate enough.

I've been wondering if anyone out there still shoots even with bad Tinnitus. I've been thinking about just using a .22 with a silencer for small game, for big game I'd just use a bow and arrow :) . Honestly I have no idea if I'll get back into shooting or not, I might just get an air rifle lol.

Any tips for some with bad tinnitus? Any of you just moved down to lower calibers or do you still shoot higher calibers? Do you notice your T increasing in volume over the years from shooting?

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
I have moderate hearing loss and tinnitus. I always wear molded hearing protection when I shoot shotgun. If I am shooting pistol or rifle, especially if I am under covered shooting stations I wear my molded plugs with the muff style hearing protection.
I have not noticed the tinnitus getting worse. I will say background noise is your friend. I always have a fan running when I am trying to sleep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have moderate hearing loss and tinnitus. I always wear molded hearing protection when I shoot shotgun. If I am shooting pistol or rifle, especially if I am under covered shooting stations I wear my molded plugs with the muff style hearing protection.
I have not noticed the tinnitus getting worse. I will say background noise is your friend. I always have a fan running when I am trying to sleep.

Yea, I've noticed the sound of a fan actually makes my T worse lol, I listen to cricket noises or stream sounds on low. My hearing loss has to be high frequency cause the normal vocal ranges are apparently prefect.

I'll have to look into custom molded hearing protection, thanks.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Yea, I've noticed the sound of a fan actually makes my T worse lol, I listen to cricket noises or stream sounds on low. My hearing loss has to be high frequency cause the normal vocal ranges are apparently prefect.

I'll have to look into custom molded hearing protection, thanks.
I haven't bought one of the sound machines yet. Most I have checked out offer a variety of water noises. At my age, If I fall asleep listening to a stream, brook, ocean, or waterfall, I am afraid I might sleep through my 1 am bathroom call and end up in trouble with the wife! :D

Reactions: Geoman15

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Have it, from working on jet engines and big Diesels. Wear my molded ear plugs with music in them. It is what it is, not going to go away, so you learn to live with it and enjoy life. Part of my enjoyment is shooting which I do mostly in nice weather. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My ringing is about an eleven out of ten (meaning bad). The thing is I still hear really well!
I never thought about it being a problem with shooting. I wear molded ear plugs but that does not do anything for the tinnitus. One's interior one ex's...
Should I be concerned?
mike

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Wildman, I see you're 30, and if you think that stopping shooting is gonna make your tinnitis go away, I have sad news to share. I've had it longer than you've been alive and it wasn't shooting that caused it, since I've only been shooting for 11 years. I've gotten some relief by wearing hearing aids that mask the crickets and understand there are better treatments coming down the pike. BTW, I was told 40yrs ago it was coffee and sex that were causing the tinnitis, but couldn't stand the thought of giving up my morning coffee.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I've had it for years, to much rock music as a teen and working on cars for years. Some days are worse than others just wear good ear plugs, to prevent further damage. Nothing to be done about it and can't let that stop you.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,735 Posts
Got it. Hate it. Still shooting an sayin "what"?
Muffs when shooting and watching. White noise machine bugs the lady so I've grown used to the crickes and cicadas. Hearing it now. One thing I've learned is that when I notice my tinnitus it means nobody is yackin my ear off and it's just me. I like that!

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
I worked in a very loud environment and 34 years of shooting . Yes I have ,but have learned to live with it .

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I was a mechanic for 38 years. Tinnitus drowns out any sound in the same frequency. I guess hearing protection keeps it from getting worse, although I'm not sure it can get worse. I use the Walker electronic muffs , even when hunting. Need a TV or radio playing to sleep.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I got it bad. Like others have said I've learned to live with it. Dr said there isn't a cure. I've had it for a long time and I do have hearing loss. I've always wore hearing protection when shooting and I'm not going to do anything different. I'm not going to give shooting up. Mine came from flash bang devices being set off inside houses. We weren't able to use hearing protection. I think I've done a good job blocking the ringing out and I'm able to fall asleep just fine.
George

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Mechanic here for 31 years and still going. I have it, like everyone that has, or does work in loud environments. I just deal with it. I try to wear foam plugs now when I am mowing or on the tractor. I have molded plugs for shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I have come to love my crickets!! They are always there and when nothing else is going to suit you........you can count on the crickets!!!! I have had them for at least 30 years and I wouldn't give up my shooting if that would cure the tinnitus!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yep. It will never stop me from shooting. I enjoy the shooting more than I enjoy my hearing anyway.

Reactions: big kahuna
1 - 20 of 51 Posts