Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not that dirty just front pockets smudged I hate paying for dry cleaning.

Any luck hand wash mode on machine or in sink?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Do you hate buying guns, shells, vehicles, target fees, gasoline, etc, etc?

Seems to me a couple bucks to ensure your vest is not ruined is pretty damn cheap in the overall scheme of things. SMH

·
Registered
945 Posts
Buy some Dry Carpet cleaner that should work for that and any other Garments
you might have that needs to be dry cleaned . Hope this helps. B.C.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The guy asked a simple question, not for a critique on his spending habits. Why is it when someone asks a question like that on this site, everyone piles on to tell how him cheap he is, and it is almost a sin to try and save a bit. Trap shooting is expensive, and God help you if you try and save a bit. Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
There is a product called Dryel which is used in your home dryer to dry clean garments. It has a bag which you put your garment in with a dry cleaning sheet. Turn your dryer on medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes and it will freshen and clean your garment. It also comes with a spot cleaner to apply for soiled areas. You can find it at large Grocery stores by the laundry detergents. I have used it on many items including vests and shirts with leather and works great.

Sue

·
Banned
308 Posts
I owned 2 drycleaners.

Dryel doesn't clean.... it just makes things that should smell bad smell less bad.

The leather on the vests will lose the oil if they are washed. They will also lose the oils if they are dry cleaned.

A reputable cleaner will send the vests to a leather cleaner where the leather is stripped in the cleaning process and then refinished.

Myself, I would try to wash around the leather keeping the leather as dry as possible. Wipe the leather part clean with a mildly damp cloth.

Just my 02.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wash it on gentle action with wool wash, dry it in the shade and when completely dry treat all leather parts with a good quality leather cleaner and leather treatment, Auto leather products are good, Auto Glym have a good product, treat it a few times. Washing yourself is a good idea if you are sensitive to dry cleaning products, I am

Argus

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Beretta made many different vests, not all of them has leather.

If your vest is all fabric, I'd wash it in gentle cycle with Woolite dark color detergent. Hang dry.

I've washed my vests with leather pads the same way too, I just use leather softener or mink oil after the leather dried.

Dry cleaning is for delicate garments to prevent color fading and fabric shrink.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My Blaser vest is going in the wash machine tonight. It has lots of leather.
I will give full report. It is starting to smell after 2 years of shootn.
Boehler

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another thing, my wife has these mesh bags specially for delicates that she puts her Bras in before she puts them in the washing machine, apparently they don't knock things around while they are being tumbled, I have not used them but I guess they would be a good idea

Argus Tuft

·
Registered
67 Posts
Coleman lantern fuel is pure naptha, which is what dry cleaners used for years. I use it a lot on different things. Just remember to do it outside and nowhere around anything flammable. Stay away from the leather and treat it with Mink Oil. Terry

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after niece balked at wearing it, I knew it was time to get the smudges out. around pockets from the gun or my fingers after lubing it with axle grease.

I am gun shy of the place around the corner ever since being a nice boy friend and picking up and paying for a dress and a blouse. $65

I called around, since I heard of a guy who was charged $45 for his vest. however, $6 at the above place so I went for it and pointed out smudges.

when I picked it up the smudges were still there-- the manager got them all out in 15 mins.

color seems washed out a bit but could be my imagination. I,m going to wipe and wash my hands or wear gloves when lubing gun.

I recall some spray was reaaly good at getting oil to the service so you could wipe it off the floor mats-- it was brake cleaner before they banned it. thanks for advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts