Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
Krieghoff KX6 Special | Browning Citori CX
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have been seeing more and more offerings in extended chokes that differ from the normal 3/4" and 1" that has been around for years.

I know Muller has had them out for awhile...
Now even Beretta is offering the 2" extension on their chokes too.

I am curious if anyone has gone down this path and what you found???

The thought that comes to my mind is that I could put these 2" extended chokes in my 32" o/u to bring it out to 34" and now I can use my o/u barrel for handicap back at the fence.
Currently I shoot a 34" unsingle for handicap. I love how my top barrel of the o/u shoots and would love to shoot caps with it. However I just really like the 34" barrel length.

Could these extended chokes be the answer?
Could we finally have 1 barrel to shoot all 3 disciplines with out sacrificing anything?

Thanks,
Jeremy

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Buy one then go to the pattern board and see if it patterns better than the short ones.
I have wondered the same thing. I would like to think that the long choke has a longer parallel section to make a consistent pattern over the short ones
But I am only guessing.

· Registered
13,510 Posts
Sure you could buy these new longer chokes. But it will not change the location of your front bead on your shotgun. So you will not get the longer sighting plane you would get if had the longer barrel. So IMO it makes zero sense to buy the longer choke tubes.
If you want to use the top barrel of your over/under? Go right ahead. It will break targets just as well as your 34" unsingle barrel does. Its just that you will get a 2 inch longer sighting plane with the longer barrel. How much the longer barrel helps you is unknown. You would have to shoot 2 or 3 thousand targets with each barrel. Then average your scores with each barrel to find out, If you shoot one barrel better than the other. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Buy one then go to the pattern board and see if it patterns better than the short ones.
I have wondered the same thing. I would like to think that the long choke has a longer parallel section to make a consistent pattern over the short ones
But I am only guessing.
Neil tested the long chokes and said they had a marginally better pattern. Worth a try.

· Registered
36,825 Posts
Why not go 6 inches?

If you shoot skeet, you can swat the birds with the barrel.

From a world renown self proclaimed expert…

Do Extended Chokes Improve Patterns?

Since we will soon be driving cars no bigger than a breadbox, there will be a demand for a shotgun with 20 inch barrels and 12-16 nch extended choke tubes.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking along the lines of the extra 2"s of barrel travel and velocity gain.
Good point about not improving the sight radius. That makes a lot of sense.
Probably why I like the 34" back at the 27 over my o/u.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But I am only guessing.
I am thinking the same thing... It would be good to get a first hand comparison.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
I bought a set of 2" extended tubes for my Beretta 692 back in 2017 when I had just bought it. Mostly I just wanted an Extra Full choke for games, but thought it would look silly with only 1 extended tube in, so I bought a M, IM, F and XF. They were roughly the same price as flush tubes. Shooting bottom barrel with the M choke from 16 yards, then going back to 40+ yards and switching to the XF barrel during meat shoots was so easy. But like Skeetman alluded to, your pattern is only 2 lateral inches tighter. Unless you extend the rib, and therefore front sight, out farther, there's no target acquisition advantage.

· Registered
321 Posts
Been using them over 21 years to add a bit of weight to o/u. Colonials in my old multi-choke beretta and briley helix in the newer optima choked gun. Patterns aren’t any better or worse that any other quality choke tube from what I have seen

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought a set of 2" extended tubes for my Beretta 692 back in 2017 when I had just bought it. Mostly I just wanted an Extra Full choke for games, but thought it would look silly with only 1 extended tube in, so I bought a M, IM, F and XF. They were roughly the same price as flush tubes. Shooting bottom barrel with the M choke from 16 yards, then going back to 40+ yards and switching to the XF barrel during meat shoots was so easy. But like Skeetman alluded to, your pattern is only 2 lateral inches tighter. Unless you extend the rib, and therefore front sight, out farther, there's no target acquisition advantage.
I am not so concerned about acquiring the targets as I am about velocity and pattern performance.
Thanks for you reply.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been using them over 21 years to add a bit of weight to o/u. Colonials in my old multi-choke beretta and briley helix in the newer optima choked gun. Patterns aren’t any better or worse that any other quality choke tube from what I have seen
Good to know.
Thanks,

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.