Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good , Bad? Price is good and they are available. Don't want to get 5000 if they are problomatic. Thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My son has loaded close to a brick of them with no problems. I`ve been using them in pistol loads good so far.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Had several fast hang-fires and a squib with their Large Rifle primers using a long proven load in a long proven (1948 Husqvarna Sporter) rifle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I shoot long range FTR competitions and one of the better shooters here raves about the Wolf small rifle primers. I know Wolf and Tula are supposed to me made in different plants but thought the info might still help.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I am a hopeless experimenter. I have actually done a lot of this test when I was developing loads for competition.

Load 10 primers in identical empty cases. In a darkened garage with white posterboard on the wall, aim the firearm shooting at the same place in the poster. I like to draw a circle with a fat blade dri marker. You will notice the color and brightness and sometimes the sound. I have found that primers that you can hear as variants, also end up making inconsistant numbers when shooting cartridges over the Chronograph. Brighter is not always better. Winchester primers (which perform very well) are brighter but have a little more difference between color display than CCI. The dimmer CCI primers are more consistant and that also shows as less extreme spread over the Chronograph.

I used a couple K of Tula primers when I could not get anything else. They all went bang with no misfires. I would trust them for hunting ammo. I never "quality checked" the tulas, as they were not being used for match grade ammo. I do believe they are harder brass than domestic commercial primers, just by looking at the primers in spent ammo. They had dents/edges very similar to US military spec primers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts