Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
16.8 - 17gr Red Dot, 1oz #8s, 12S3, and a Fed 209A in Remington hulls

I sill have 700 or so 12S3s so I've been reading all kinds of stuff about 'em...
One thing I learned is that it may have been the original 1oz trap load wad. Kinda cool.
Also read that it may or may not bulge Remington hulls near the base a little. Already knew that.

Well, I loaded up a box and they turned out pretty nice ! Tomorrow is practice day & figured I'd try 'em out.
Does anyone wanna stop me ? I couldn't find any data for this recipe (some real close), but it should be well within 10,000 psi. ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
You probably already know this, but using Federal-style wads in Rem hulls is not ideal. The wads are made for straight walled hulls and the overpowder cup has a bit larger diameter. The Rem-style and Win style wads are made for tapered walled hulls, like the Rem and Win hulls. Wads made for tapered walled hulls have a bit smaller diameter to the overpowder cup.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I know that. I actually expected a bulge so I picked a bag of Rems that had been shot at least a few times...
They didn't bulge. :3a:
I still haven't gathered up any fiber base-wad Estates from the garage. I know there's lots of data for them.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
My favorite Red Dot load was with 18.0 grs,Win AA, Win 209, CB1100-12, 1 oz Magnum 8s: should be doing 1200 f/s w/8600 psi.

Currently loading 17 grs of Clay Dot for my 1 oz load.

I suggest you pick up some CB1100-12 wads and Win 209 primers. Save the Federal stuff for Federal or Estate hulls.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Loading the tapered Rem hull with the "HOT" Fed 209A primer and the Fed 12S3 wad and Fast burning Red Dot powder may cause a extreme pressure spike and a not so good experience. I would cut them apart and not shoot them. I would find some Fed Top Gun or Estates hulls with the fiber base wad and use 1 1/8 of shot as the 12S3 wad is for a 1 1/8 load. FWIW. Bill

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If you are using Down Range 12 S3s they will not bulge. If you use Federal 12 S 3s they will not bulge. However, the CB 12 S 3s will probably bulge them nicely! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If you are using Down Range 12 S3s they will not bulge. If you use Federal 12 S 3s they will not bulge. However, the CB 12 S 3s will probably bulge them nicely! Tom Rhoads
Thread hyjack...
Where you shooting this weekend Tom?
Fall Creek Vallley?

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I would find some Fed Top Gun or Estates hulls with the fiber base wad and use 1 1/8 of shot as the 12S3 wad is for a 1 1/8 load.
Thanks Bill. That is my 'long term' goal for these wads.
I got a gazillion of them over in the garage...

It's just soo cold out there... lol

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts