Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the MEC Auto-Mate? Due to arthritis in my shoulders, it is getting more difficult to load with my 9000G loaders and I thought this might be the answer. How are they to install, maintain, ease of operation, etc.? Thank you for any response.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Installation is kind of tricky. The photos that are provided need to be studied before you start installing. There are quite a few parts that need to be taken off the loader and then replaced with other components. It took me about an hour to set mine up. I've since sold it to a friend and bought a MEC 9000H. The automate is much quieter though...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Recommend buy a new 9000e in lieu of an upgrade. It can be done and many have done the upgrade but in my case it was a long drawn out affair. Blew 10+fuses.

It works great but the new primer feed is still a POS

T

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought one a year ago ,it took 45 minutes

to hook up and install the linkage and it has been

flawless. If you can still tie your shoes you

certainly can add this to your 9000g . I have

since loaded 18,000 shells without a problem

Good Luck

Steve

·
Registered
714 Posts
Had the same issues of soreness in my shoulder and added an Automate I purchased from Connies who had the best price. Took about an hour following the instructions step by step and couldn't be happier. Purchased extra fuses thinking I needed them and haven't used any after 3-4k loaded yet. Found out later that the new ones have been updated to a higher amperage motor. You won't regret it. Bob

·
Registered
624 Posts
I also added one. works fine. I just got the foot pedal from mokemate. It works great. I concur the primer feed is the only problems I have with it.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
If you have difficulty in installing your 9000 on the Auto mate, don't hesitate in calling MEC for assistance.

blade819

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I bought an AutoMate II and a MEC 90O0GN from the AutoMate inventor many years ago for the same reason as you and Bob. I converted the new 9000GN to a 9000E to use with the AutoMate II; the conversion took about an hour and was not challenging.

I've had two fuses open on me and both times, it was operator error. I removed the finished shell ejection tab from my loader as I prefer to give my shells a quick look-over and put them in a MEC E-Z Pak as I go so I catch any problems right away instead of hundreds of shells later. On those two occasions, I allowed myself to be distracted and neglected to remove the finished shell, causing the motor resistance to escalate when the decapping pin contacted that finished shell. In a second or two, the fuses opened.

I don't think there's a better setup out there and I've had a few.

Ed

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Auto-Mate, the only way to go!

To those of you who have the new Mec primer tray and are having trouble with it, just keep on tweaking it and you'll soon get it right.

Could the tray be better? Perhaps, but it is such an improvement over the old tray and that makes me a happy camper.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Purchased my 9000E about a year ago. Little issue of blowing fuses at the beginning but once I got the handle on it's likes and dislikes wouldnt take money for it. Only issue I have now is the primer drop tube could be about an eigth of an inch longer to stop the primer from periodically flipping over. I need to call MEC to see if there is a fix on this primer issue. Bob

·
Banned
328 Posts
I have used one of the original models and now have a second one that is the official MEC model. One is about 7 yrs old and the other about 3 yrs old. They do get fussy at times and you need to learn the ins and outs of use BUT on a scale of 1-10 I would rate them 9+. I am loading 20ga and 12ga. JOE

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Only issue I have now is the primer drop tube could be about an eigth of an inch longer to stop the primer from periodically flipping over. I need to call MEC to see if there is a fix on this primer issue. Bob

Bob: The easy fix for this is to place a washer between the primer mount and the loader. This effectively lowers the tube by the thickness of the washer.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ive had the Automate for awhile, and loaded about close to 30K shells. Works great!!! Install is not a problem if you're slightly mechanically inclined, just take your time and follow the instructions. Took me about an hour. Recently installed a Mokemate.....makes it even nicer. Never had problems with fuses...Never had a problem with the new primer. I say "go for it and don't look back!

·
Registered
479 Posts
9000E. Best thing since sliced bread. Been using mine since 2008 or 9. Minimum 15k rounds per year and max about 30k. Relatively quiet. Get your primer drop tube located properly and keep the tray clean and waxed for almost zero primer problems. Read the manual and pay attention when operating the machine. Cannot be beat, especially for the price. I also have arthritis problems but find the operation effortless. And painless. Stick to one brand of hull. The machine comes set-up for Winchester AA's and loads a perfect bullet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buy one and don't look back. I bought mine summer of 2012 and added it to my 9000 with no issues.
Same set up time as noted by others above. Quite easy if you're even just remotely mechanically inclined. Aside from the physical relief of pulling the handle, a nice side benefit is the consistency in powder drops the Automate produces. Still on my first fuse, never an issue there..as of today..

As to the new primer tray: as stated above, either a light wax or wipe with a silicone cloth every so often keeps the primers moving smoothly. Also- one tip I picked up off the posters at Shotgun World:

After loading the tray with primers, lift it all the way up and drop it back down approx 1/4" from the top, then tighten the wingnut. Seems to aid in smooth primer drops, believe it has to do with alignment of the tray and tube. Works well for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a MEC automate in 12 Ga. that is a year old. I also have Parkinson's disease and can no longer shoot. I will sell you the unit for a great price. If interested send me a PM. Tom **SOLD**

1 - 18 of 18 Posts