Trapshooters Forum banner

Anyone run a successful Nostalgia Shoot at your small club?

1837 26
I am thinking about proposing that our small trap club try a Nostalgia Shoot. Does anyone have any experience with doing one? I do not think that we can just do a Model 12 shoot, or even limit the guns to the list that the Grand American event uses, and get much of a crowd. The intent would be to have fun shooting old shotguns with Lewis classes and maybe a added money draw pot to keep all levels of shooters interested. 50 bird event 25 from the 16 and 25 from hcp.

My preliminary list of guns
Winchester- M12, M21, M37, Super X1-2
Remington- M31, M32, M3200, maybe even old fixed choke 870s and 1100s
Browning- Superposed, A-5, Double Automatic, B-2000
Any side by side
Maybe even any pump gun to include more shooters.

Another option would be to do this prior to, or after, a regular 50 bird event and just do a 25 bird mini program. I am thinking pay a draw pot winner and Top Gun (ties shoot off for Top Gun).

Our normal First Sunday of the Month draws about 50 shooters. If we got half of that to shoot this, I would consider it worth the effort. Some of our younger shooters might not even know some of these models.

Thoughts?
Doug
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
8,260 Posts
I am thinking about proposing that our small trap club try a Nostalgia Shoot. Does anyone have any experience with doing one? I do not think that we can just do a Model 12 shoot, or even limit the guns to the list that the Grand American event uses, and get much of a crowd. The intent would be to have fun shooting old shotguns with Lewis classes and maybe a added money draw pot to keep all levels of shooters interested. 50 bird event 25 from the 16 and 25 from hcp.

Any side by side

Another option would be to do this prior to, or after, a regular 50 bird event and just do a 25 bird mini program. I am thinking pay a draw pot winner and Top Gun (ties shoot off for Top Gun).

Our normal First Sunday of the Month draws about 50 shooters. If we got half of that to shoot this, I would consider it worth the effort. Some of our younger shooters might not even know some of these models.

Thoughts?
Doug
Yes (two trap club).

We are about to have one a week from Saturday.

My secretary and I knowing the potential limitations imposed by the Grand list are allowing any shotgun that the design was first marketed in 1950 or earlier. This allowed 870's to be used.

We had I believe 32 entries last year, 50 singles and 50 from the 23yd line.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug,

You left out vintage SBT's and since you included Super X 1's might as well as add BT 99's produced before the SX1's and B-2000's. Might as well add Remington model 11 to the Remington list too.
I like pheasantmaster's idea of picking a year, like 1973 and before and try to come up with a bigger list. I would know most of the shooters what they would have to shoot...Rem 3200, lots of M12s, A-5s, etc.
Doug

· Registered
3,169 Posts
We have done a couple as side events at the Virginia state shoot, we only allow side by sides, we're going to do it again this year.

· Registered
2 Posts

Any side by side

Thoughts?
Doug
Pick a year of manufacture, any gun maded prior to that date would qualify.

· Premium Member
349 Posts
We have done a couple as side events at the Virginia state shoot, we only allow side by sides, we're going to do it again this year.
Love your tag line.....would add...once someone shows you who they are believe them.

Reactions: vatrap

· Premium Member
598 Posts
Our Club hosts two Vintage shoots per year, Spring and Fall. When it first started maybe 20 or so years ago it was Side by Side only with a handicap for gauge used. In the past few years they decided to allow pump guns. All I can say is it was a lot more fun with the side by sides, but I did buy two .28 gauge pump guns last year.

· Premium Member
1,546 Posts
This is what we've been doing at the Minneapolis Gun Club for many years now. The variety and rarity of some of the guns used is outstanding. Some one of a kind Winchester 21's and vintage SBT's is something to see and watching the owners shoot them. What they were made to do. It's coming up soon, August 28th.

Jimmy Bowen

Adaptation Font History Paper product Vintage clothing

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jimmy, that is a nice flyer. I already have my vintage pic selected for my flyer. No over under class for your shoot? I want to shoot my Remington M32 and Dad wants to shoot his Remington M3200. That is the difficulty I am facing, I know most of the members and what they want to shoot. I want to try to be as inclusive as possible.

I am interested in seeing what old shotguns may come just like you state in your post.
Doug

· Registered
1,112 Posts
I've run a SxS event from 2005 and it's only SxSs. I could see doing a Nostalgia Shoot but not O/Us or SBT guns even though SBT guns were made in the 20s. JMPO you're ruining the whole idea if you allow all those other guns. If it were me I'd allow pumps and SxSs. Good luck. Paul

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.