Trapshooters Forum banner

Anyone make it to the 27 yard line first year

5181 Views 42 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  senior smoke
Hello:
A few of us stoped for breakfast this morning and the question came up if anyone could recall any shooter ever making the 27 yard line in his or her first year of tournament shooting?

None of us knew any one who was ever able to do that. Anyone out there know of anyone who did that, as that is some great shooting?
Steve Balistreri
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
1,649 Posts

I know of no one who made it to the 27 yard line in ATA trapshooting their first year.

But there was a fellow who made it to Distinguished in rifle shooting his first year using an M1 Garand.

He was already recognized as a champion handgun shooter in IHMSA competition before he took up the rifle.

· Registered
79 Posts
I came close. I started at the 18 yard line at the beginning of last year. Then at a local shoot made it to the 19. At the Grand American I shot penalty 25 yards and shot a 98. There were two 100s that day though so I only jumped back to the 26.5 and the target year ended not long after that.

I'd be curious to know though. Theres gotta be someone with some mighty good talent who has done it before.

Edit: That was done in 800 handicap targets.

· Registered
8,427 Posts
I know a couple of guys that has never shot registered or are even interested in shooting ATA (too much money) that would likley make it to the 27 right quick.

· Registered
396 Posts
Hey fellas, I'm not sure but when I was new to trapshooting I heard that Wayne Mayes (yes, the skeet shooter) and Maryland shooters Earl Bangs and Louis Goodwin may have made the 27 their first years shooting trap. I don't know if it is true or not. I would be interested in knowing the history also.

Hit 'em hard,

John

· Registered
8,427 Posts
You know there is a BIG difference in FIRST year of trap shooting and FIRST year of registered trap shooting!!

· Banned
5,302 Posts
It took 2200 targets and 4 months to get my first punch. It then took 14 months and another 8100 targets to get to the 27.

It took me 18 months and 10,300 targets with out shooting from any penalty yardage.

Lessons learned:

1. After being stuck at the 23 for 6 months I raised my POI and went from the 23.5 to the 26 in half yard increments in 1000 targets and then to the 27 in the next two months.

2. It takes a lot of targets, traveling and money to get to the 27.

· Registered
10,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kemper, Scootermac50:
Great shooting and accomplishment. In a few months some of you achevied more than most of us have in an entire shooting carrer. Congratulations to all of you.
Steve

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.