ANYONE HUNT WITH A .303 BRITISH? | Trap Shooters Forum

ANYONE HUNT WITH A .303 BRITISH?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by yukon_870, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:25 AM.

1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Active Member

Does anyone hunt deer or any other big game with a .303 British? I know that this is a British military round that has been adopted for hunting over the years. I believe that I saw a couple of times while in various gun shops factory loads for the .303 British made by Remington. Does any other ammunition manufacturer offer factory loads in this caliber?

I know that there are several military surplus rifles out there that are available in this caliber. Did Remington, Winchester or any other American arms manufacturer ever offer a hunting rifle in this caliber?

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have never seen anyone, but why not? I have seen very little good ammo for them and never seen any quality hunting bullets, but people have taken deer with plain lead bullets in 30/30 Winchesters for years.

I took a Deer with an M-1 that was built up for target shooting. I did hand load the ammo with some good Sierra Game King bullets.

3. Merlyn

Merlyn Well-Known Member

Head shots don't require special bullets.........merlyn

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

My father owned 3 guns. 30-06, 303 and Ithaca 16 ga.

When I started hunting he gave me the 30-06 and he used the 303. Eventually when he stopped hunting he gave it to my uncle whose 30-06 was destroyed in a flood.

He had no problems dropping a deer.

5. Old_Diabetic_100

Old_Diabetic_100 Well-Known Member

There are quite a lot of Lee Enfield .303 rifles knocking about in the UK some of which have been sporterised. Here's an example:

Enfield, Lee .303 Rifle | Second Hand Guns for Sale | guntrader

How big is the game you are considering hunting with a .303? My father was issued with a P14 in .303 with which to hunt Germans in 1939, but the only successes he had were with a Bren Gun and later a Thompson.

BREN LIGHT MACHINE GUN – Norfolk Tank Museum

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

We had Federal and Remington ammunition in .303 British in the store I worked in, and sold it all pretty fast, once it was known we had it.
    Being as the Lee Enfield was the Canadian service rifle until the FN was issued, there are loads of them around, with a lot being sporterised. As a matter of fact, I have a No.5 Lee Enfield in the safe that I was given. This is known as the Jungle Carbine, created for use by our Asian allies, who were smaller than most Caucasian soldiers, thus calling for a shorter LOP, shorter barrel with integral flash hider, and a short fore stock. It's a nasty kicking little thing with a 180 grain load, especially as I'm 6'4" with a long neck and arms like a gorilla. The steel butt plate doesn't help reduce the recoil effect at all.
    The .303 Lee Enfield was issued to our Canadian Rangers (a militia-like force of locals, used where they may be needed, instead of ferrying in regular military units) until it was replaced by a specially spec-ed Tikka T3 a few years ago.
    I know a rancher in northern B.C. who hunts with his Lee Enfield collection, taking just about everything available up there.

yukon_870 thanked this.