Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as the weather here cools off in the fall, I want to make a serious effort to get back into trap shooting. I retired last December, and all of my projects are finished, so I'll have plenty of time for it. The only place around anymore is Ben Avery up north, just off the Carefree Highway and I-17. It's about a 27 mile ride for me, so it's not too bad.

The only other places are Wickenburg, (50 miles one way), and the Buckeye Hills Range, (Only 1 Trap Field). Litchfield Trap & Skeet was only a couple miles down the road, but they, along with Red Mountain have all been closed down for one reason or another. So has the Surprise Sportsman's Club. Ben Avery is the only one left. Pretty sad for a city of over 4 million people. Casa Grande is too far, as is Tucson.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here shot there on a regular basis, and could possibly shed some light on shooting there? How crowded during the week, best times to show up, etc.?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Crowd's are not an issue Bill unless there's a shoot going on and then there is usually practice traps open that aren't crowded. Nice facility, enjoy.

·
Registered
917 Posts
This time of the year,it is pretty well open,unless there is some registered shoots going on.I usually do trap on wed & skeet on sunday,you should be able to walk up on shoot,usually 3-fields of trap and skeet are available and also the 3-sporting clays courses.There are groups,that shoot at night,pretty much all year long,they open at 7am.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
i shot there in aug. never again! whew!
nice place.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think it's $5.50 or such,the minimum,shoot card recharge is 100 bucks,it used to be 110,but got lowered,also you can purchase shells at the counter,with no tax,as it is state run.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Myself and the wife has shot there the last two February's on vacation. We mostly did Sporting Clays and I did a lot of bunker. Seems pretty well run for the most part. The office staff we encountered was rather snobby at times and seemed bothered that we were there. The guys working the fields and courses were very pleasant to deal with if needed. This has become one of our favorite places to shoot. We have not shot the handgun and rifle ranges and from the crowds we observed there, it is likely we will only continue to do shotgun sports. If you need any other info or want to talk about the place, just PM me and we will talk.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Bill T.....

Due to your location in Glendale, you should occaisionally consider Rio Salado sportsman's Club in north Mesa. Google it for more info. Two Trap fields and 12 station desert Sporting Clays, no trappers needed but you'll need to use one of their electronic shoot cards; 5 stand on most weekends. $5 per 25 for members. Jim Rasmussen is the " go to " guy at 602-576-2273, very accomodating fellow I say. Open every day. Wobble Trap is shot on Tuesday mornings with the old Pharte's. Bring your A game!!

Big rifle and pistol operation too.

Not yet 100 here in Queen Creek today but it will be you know. Hope to see you at Rio soon.....

Ernie.... In AZ

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm definitely going to give Ben Avery a try. Rio is a bit of a hike for me, (50 miles each way), but I would like to try it out as well. I'm just waiting for the heat to go away. I can't believe it's July tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Ben Avery is an incredible facility. Most facets of shotgun sports, metallic cartridge big and small, and bow and arrow.

·
Premium Member
10,550 Posts
I'll be back in AZ mid September. I would be glad to meet you at BA and I'll try to catch you up on all the new stuff that has happened since you've been gone. PM me with you contact information and we can work things out. Glad to have you back.

Barry Roach
ATA Promotions Coordinator

·
Registered
860 Posts
I shoot at Salado for 3 months each year and look forward to going again this fall. Tuesday nite we shoot a fun shoot and it is fun plus you can make a little money. they have a 50-50-50 program that is great too, fun folks and it is well run, Jim is great.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It is a 104 mile round trip for me to-and-from Ben Avery.

There have been times that I did it every day of the week.

Other times just on weekends.

(I also regularly shoot Casa Grande, Tucson, and Las Vegas.)

At Ben Avery, shooting by 7 AM. Shoot 200 to 300 rounds before the heat hits.

Shoot Singles, Doubles, and Handicap.

Many mornings there is a nice group of guys shooting and they're always welcoming newcomers.

Some mornings you might have the trap line to yourself.

All the Ben Avery folks out on the line are very helpful and pleasant.

They're among the best anywhere.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Hey Hoser, I wish you'd keep quiet about Rio, it's getting too crowded as it is. LOL. Best kept secret in the area. Great facility.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are getting my blood running again! I'll most definitely be out there just as soon as it cools off. Both my wife and I were heavily into Trap back in the 90's when I lived in Lake Havasu City and shot at the Lake Havasu City Sportsman's Club. It was a really nice, friendly place. We also attended several shoots at the Bullhead City Gun Club before they closed it down. Kingman as well. I miss those days. Hopefully this Fall we'll get things fired up again!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
You guys are getting my blood running again! I'll most definitely be out there just as soon as it cools off. Both my wife and I were heavily into Trap back in the 90's when I lived in Lake Havasu City and shot at the Lake Havasu City Sportsman's Club. It was a really nice, friendly place. We also attended several shoots at the Bullhead City Gun Club before they closed it down. Kingman as well. I miss those days. Hopefully this Fall we'll get things fired up again!

Hope so Bill. I'm just green with envy, wishing I lived in that area too. Been in that area 20 times or so. Loved every second of it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am off the 59 st exit on the 101, Arrowhead (Glendale). Ben Avery is my favorite place to shoot there.
I plan to be there and shoot more there this year. The winter chain registered is there and provides opportunity at
a lot of different clubs.
I am a Nebraska transplant and usually make 4 or 5 trips a year down there. Any one that wants to shoot, send a PM. We can meet for a few rounds.
Bigfoot

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm originally from the Chicago area, born and raised. We got out of there back in 1991 and moved to Lake Havasu City, Arizona. We lived there for 6 years, but left because the company I worked for, (McCulloch Corp.), was going under, and there really wasn't much there besides them that paid anything worth working for in my trade. We came to Phoenix in 1997, (the west side about 2 miles from the new Cardinals Stadium), and have resided here ever since. We've thought about moving back to Lake Havasu, now that I'm retired. But moving is such a PITA, I rather doubt it. We're pretty comfortable where we're at. It's the same weather, but with a lot more convenience.

I belong to the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club that is located up against South Mountain, right next to the Phoenix Police Training Academy. They have really nice rifle and pistol ranges, but not much in the way of clay target shotgun games. All they've got are a couple of manual throwers on the side of the 200 yard rifle range. No Trap or Skeet.

Now that I'm retired, I don't have to plan anything around my work schedule, so we want to get back into clay target shooting. Especially now that we can do it most any time we want during the week when it's less crowded. We really enjoyed that the first year we were out here, and shot at Litchfield Park Trap & Skeet. There were a bunch of nice retired guys that would show up there on Saturday and Sunday morning. We would BS and shoot a few rounds. It was really nice until they closed it down just a couple of years later. I still drive by there, and they haven't done a damn thing with all of that land since they sold it to Shea Homes. The housing market collapsed shortly after they sold it, and that ended that. The clubhouse was the size of a Denny's restaurant. Fully stocked bar and everything. Now Ben Avery is about all that's left. Can't wait till it cools off!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts