Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a couple of thousand 12ga PC Post wads and reloaded w/184.gr Clays and 1oz hard 8s. I took the loads to pattern board and was astounded that they seem to hold a better pattern than Fiochhi 1 oz Helice loads.

I thought that the Post wads were designed to open the pattern. Has anybody had this similar experience?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I inherited a couple of thousand 12ga PC Post wads and reloaded w/184.gr Clays and 1oz hard 8s. I took the loads to pattern board and was astounded that they seem to hold a better pattern than Fiochhi 1 oz Helice loads.

I thought that the Post wads were designed to open the pattern. Has anybody had this similar experience?
Many times the actual truth found in testing destroys advertising hype.

Reactions: skeet_man

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I tried them and found they did not do what they were supposed to. Also, they were a pain to load. At any rate, I'd do ten patterns and analyze them with Shotgun Insight or another pattern analyzer before you come to a firm conclusion. I was firing them through a LF choke, so that may account for my results.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I felt they did open the pattern a "little bit" also, you could cut the post off with Diagonal pliers and get a shorter stack height. Ive shot all mine up FWIW.

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
The truth is, wad choice has very little impact on patterns. The two most important factors in patters are, in order, choke and shot hardness. Anything else is a distant 3rd.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the PC Post wad was a knock off of the original Remington Post wad and IIRC, they were designed to be used in barrels that were 'full' meaning having .040" or 'points' of constriction or more to be effective. And I'll go a bit further and say that 'effective' only meant that w/that amout of constriction it was sufficient enough to cause a slight compression of the plastic post's dia. as the shot passed thru the choke's constriction and on exit from the muzzle the post would go back original dia. thus expanding the shot column's dia. Can't say that I'm surprised at your finding(s) on the grease plate. I loaded & shot a couple of cases of those wads in 9/8th's oz. loads used in various guns and constrictions and saw some nicly distributed patterns for the most part most of the time. Were they capable of opening a pattern to the next lower choke constriction as originally claimed? Sometimes, but the quality of the shot was/is a factor just as nebs points out. I had a lot of fun loading 7/8 oz. rounds with those wads & placing a .200" card wad on top before crimping to use as 'speader' or station 8 loads. Loaded in that manner, they will throw even move open patterns than normal and even w/a skeet choke, plus you get the confetti in the air making folks wonder if you are shooting card wad w/fibre filler ammuniton when you are not. Anyway, I'd just have fun loading & shooting them. I may still have a few hundred of them on hand from a third case & have zero qualms about using them in that manner. I don't load many 9/8 oz. loads these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts