Trapshooters Forum banner

Anyone go from good practice/poor registered scores to shooting good registered/poor practice?

633 8
Last year was my first year shooting ATA, out of about 1000~ targets I had a 90~ average, I think I went on a string of shooting 5 straight 91s in ATA one point last season, it was disappointing because when I shot practice I was consistently stringing 24s and 25s, even running my first 50, 75s in practice.

In-between ATA seasons I shot a winter league and did lots of chart work, I have shot about 1200 ATA targets this year my avg is about 96.5 on those 1200 targets, I've shot my best I've ever shot, a few 99s, several 50s and 1 75 straight in ATA.

I don't shoot a ton of practice now due to ammo but I get my reps in with my wall chart, but I have been trying to "practice" like it's a registered shoot and it's hard for me to put up 25s, I shoot a TON of 24s now in practice but even shooting a 25 in practice sometimes surprises me, but in ATA if I don't run a 25-50 I'm a bit bummed out...

Anyone run into this practice slump when it seems like your shooting is dialed in when it matters? I want to make my practice rounds matter and shoot them like ATA but my scores don't seem to reflect that..
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,207 Posts
forget it....I broke a 96 at the Spring Team Shoot at Mason....32nd Squad out at 10:13.....windy as hell....posted the 96 and led the field for 2.5 hours ....then the [email protected] happened,,,,shot against 575 shooters ... broke 96 in the unreal wind...did not even get any recognition.....cost me $64 to shoot 100 targets...ATA can stuff that

· Premium Member
13,741 Posts
forget it....I broke a 96 at the Spring Team Shoot at Mason....32nd Squad out at 10:13.....windy as hell....posted the 96 and led the field for 2.5 hours ....then the [email protected] happened,,,,shot against 575 shooters ... broke 96 in the unreal wind...did not even get any recognition.....cost me $64 to shoot 100 targets...ATA can stuff that up there ass
Think perhaps you need to pay attention to your avatar. :LOL:

· Registered
297 Posts
When I was shooting a lot of ATA events and competing at the Big Shoots, I did not practice for score. I practiced to improve, refine, and master. I rarely shot rounds of trap with friends. I usually would get a private field and would work on improving my game. My intention was on making perfect shots. If I was smoking all my targets at 16 I would go to the 27 and do most of my practice there. If I was not smoking targets at the 16, I would work on a single station until I felt 100%. In practice, I would rather smoke 24 targets than chip my way to a 25. Now in a tournament, I would take the 25 chipped or chunked without question. On the practice days right before a shoot I would shoot complete rounds just for a final tune up. Have clear goals for every practice. I worked on my mental game through a sports self-hypnosis program that I developed with a sports psychologist and at the small local ATA shoots. Look to peak for the big shoots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.