Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title asks, has anyone ever used an Aim Cam? If so what was your experience/opinion?

Not only am I constantly trying to improve my game, but I am doing my best to share info and suggestions to help my daughter improve. But, it I just don't seem to have the skill set to watch her and diagnose what she is doing. I suspect she isn't following through and maybe shooting behind the bird.
I KNOW it doesn't mean doodly squat but when she was shooting last night the wad consistently flew behind the bird when she missed.
So, I was looking at this Aim Cam that attaches to glasses and would give maybe an accurate review of her swing and any follow through habits.
Any thoughts or opinions are welcome

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I am assuming you have done gunfit and have had lessons already or are having lessons.

I would think a barrel cam would be more instrumental in determining shot placement if you are looking for a camera. I know folks that have a ShotKam and like them. I've used one.

The Garmin Xero could also work, but I don't know anyone myself who uses one so I've never used one.

Neither are inexpensive new. Both have drawbacks. Both instruments will show where you missed but not the why. The why is important to correction.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
32,296 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A clinic will be in our future but probably won't be until spring.
As far as a fitter goes, at the IN state shoot we had Rod of Rod's custom stocks check the fit and he suggested an adjustable comb and butt plate. Which is also what Tron recommended over the phone based on my descriptions of what I see. She won't let me pay to have it done so she is just shooting through it for now. She had been breaking 16-19 regularly but has dropped to just 14-16 the last couple weeks.
I have no idea about finding a fitter anywhere near central IN.

She hasn't had any lessons other than just some advice from a couple guys at the club. Unfortunately the gentleman that had been recommended passed a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I might have to get a pair for grins and giggles.

or not

Thanks for sharing the link. I wouldn't have thought to look at there for reviews.
Sounds like a less than stellar product.

·
Registered
32,296 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link. I wouldn't have thought to look at there for reviews.
Sounds like a less than stellar product.
Looking at those reviews keep this in mind. We are talking about a product that has a limited application within the consumer universe. Like all electronics, some people do not know how to use them properly. They are probably made in China and may have a short life span. Looking at the video on the web site they seem to work pretty well.

There are camera glasses and sunglasses on the market, but most all have the camera centered in the frame between the eyes. I-Kam was another one marketed to shooting sports and hunting. There was a thread about them here 10 years ago. Here is I-Kam website.

Some of the camera glasses sold today are as low as twenty dollars. The view of these glasses is not ideal where as the Aimcam camera sits over your dominant eye looking down the rib of a shotgun or sights of a rifle or handgun. It would seem to me watching the gun barrel over the rib is a lot more telling than a camera mounted under the barrel. You are reviewing the video with a red cross hairs and do not see the barrel in relation to the rib. You have to depend on proper set up and assume the cross hairs are lined up correctly.

I am going to give them a try. Most of the time, when I miss a target, I know exactly why, but not everytime. Maybe these glasses will identify those unknown reasons why.

Reactions: Rabbit-hunter

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm in about the same boat as you. Trying to improve my game so I can help my kids. Doing it only a year and a half so I'm far from an expert. I spent a lot of time researching the camera glasses last year, decided against them. I don't recall the exact reasons but I think part of it is the the cam can never truly be optimally placed. It's been a long time so don't quote me, I just know after a lot of reading I decided against them. I did get a shot kam this year when they were on sale. It's a fairly useful device. It can let you know if your hold points are consistent, if you're anticipating the target, if you're following through, it can tell you roughly where you are shooting as well. It takes a while watching videos of good hits to know exactly where your crosshairs should be to get a good hit From there you can tell if you're shooting high, low, up, down. You do have to put a little time in to learn to read the videos so to speak. It's not too hard though. Don't forget, you can get some of this information just using a pattern board. Easy to make one if you need. If you find the gun is shooting low, you can always temporarily raise the comb using some moleskin, stick on foam etc until you can get the stock modified with an adjustable comb. If you can get an adjustable comb before going to a class in the spring, you will likely get more out of it.

·
Registered
32,296 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dumb, stupid waste of time and money.
No offense, but I'm not sure if you are serious or tolling at the moment. Lol

Got any better suggestions how to diagnose what she is doing?

With my drag racing, I am able to review the video and diagnose how the car moved off the line, etc to make adjustments. I'm basically trying to do the same thing if I take video of her shooting right?
Just looking for a way to improve before we are able to go to a clinic in the future. Also working to find space in the garage for a wall chart

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Left eye dominant - get her to shoot lefty. Same thing happened with my son but it was caught early. He's a lefty but shoots right handed as his right eye is dominant. He golfs left handed, tennis left handed etc... But shoots right handed. Couldn't emphasize the need to correct this right away no matter how difficult the new learning curve is to her. Sounds like she has a strong support team. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Left eye dominant - get her to shoot lefty. Same thing happened with my son but it was caught early. He's a lefty but shoots right handed as his right eye is dominant. He golfs left handed, tennis left handed etc... But shoots right handed. Couldn't emphasize the need to correct this right away no matter how difficult the new learning curve is to her. Sounds like she has a strong support team. Good luck and good shooting, Rey
We went through that last summer. She is about as hard headed as I can be. She absolutely refuses to shoot lefty because it just doesn't feel right. We got eye dominance advice from Phil Kiner last year when she first started shooting trap and she improved from hitting 6 or 8 to earlier this summer when she was breaking 17-19 pretty much everytime she shot.
These issues just started 2 weeks ago, that's why I am inclined to believe she is stopping the gun when she pulls the trigger. I am looking for a way to either verify it or prove my wrong. Nothing else has changed, same since early summer same gun, same shells, same glasses (prescription) which is what leads me to a basic fundamentals breakdown

·
Supporting Vendor
10,250 Posts
No offense, but I'm not sure if you are serious or tolling at the moment. Lol

Got any better suggestions how to diagnose what she is doing?

With my drag racing, I am able to review the video and diagnose how the car moved off the line, etc to make adjustments. I'm basically trying to do the same thing if I take video of her shooting right?
Just looking for a way to improve before we are able to go to a clinic in the future. Also working to find space in the garage for a wall chart
These camera aids are nothing new. They've been around in some way, shape of form for a long time. Do they help people? I don't think they do, but only offer a "rub your nose in it" effect. "See here, starting at 1:34, you started raising your head! Stop doing that." What was really learned?

There is no substitute for a good, experienced instructor that is also a good coach. Starting with form, then fit, then consistency of shooting Trap the right way. The first three, footing, hold points and follow through will get a shooter 90% of the way there. Once that's mastered, other points of style.

I just think camera aids are dumb and unnecessary, not to mention, expensive.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These camera aids are nothing new. They've been around in some way, shape of form for a long time. Do they help people? I don't think they do, but only offer a "rub your nose in it" effect. "See here, starting at 1:34, you started raising your head! Stop doing that." What was really learned?

There is no substitute for a good, experienced instructor that is also a good coach. Starting with form, then fit, then consistency of shooting Trap the right way. The first three, footing, hold points and follow through will get a shooter 90% of the way there. Once that's mastered, other points of style.

I just think camera aids are dumb and unnecessary, not to mention, expensive.
I can see where you are coming from and you make some excellent points.
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
ShotKam is an excellent product to see where your misses are going. About $600 and worth every penny. Improved my scores after just a few rounds of trap and also helped my team mates when installed on their guns.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A gentleman at the club tonight approached me and told me he has a ShotKam that he will bring next week to let my daughter try.
Another guy watched her tonight and the general consensus leads me to believe that she is in fact stopping the gun
Had one of the youth coaches look at her gun mount and he thought it looked fine

1 - 20 of 30 Posts