Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever reloaded steel pistol casings. A friend at work has some Russian casings he has saved. If they are conventionally primed, can they be resized and reloaded? TIA, Mike.....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone ever reloaded steel pistol casings. A friend at work has some Russian casings he has saved. If they are conventionally primed, can they be resized and reloaded? TIA, Mike.....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I did load some WWII vintage steel .45 acp cases just to see what would happen. They worked fine for about 3 loadings and then would split lengthwise. Not a real problem with low pressure rounds like the .45acp. This other issue was that I had to lube the cases well even with my carbide sizer.

I don't think reloading steel cases is a good practice but rather something you might do if you had no source for brass cases. I don't think I would try it with the higher pressure rifle rounds.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I did load some WWII vintage steel .45 acp cases just to see what would happen. They worked fine for about 3 loadings and then would split lengthwise. Not a real problem with low pressure rounds like the .45acp. This other issue was that I had to lube the cases well even with my carbide sizer.

I don't think reloading steel cases is a good practice but rather something you might do if you had no source for brass cases. I don't think I would try it with the higher pressure rifle rounds.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, their 45 ACP so I might give them a whirl for the guy if I can deprime/reprime....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, their 45 ACP so I might give them a whirl for the guy if I can deprime/reprime....

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
There's plenty of info about reloading steel cases online.

I reloaded one .223 steel case just to see what would happen. Loaded, trimmed, and fired fine, couldn't tell any difference b/w it and a brass case. The steel was pretty soft, I doubt it was really that much harder than a brass case. Only issue I could see would be that it may dull your case trimmer a little quicker.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
There's plenty of info about reloading steel cases online.

I reloaded one .223 steel case just to see what would happen. Loaded, trimmed, and fired fine, couldn't tell any difference b/w it and a brass case. The steel was pretty soft, I doubt it was really that much harder than a brass case. Only issue I could see would be that it may dull your case trimmer a little quicker.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Mike,

The decapping/repriming isn't a problem if you have boxer primed brass ... just look for the central, single flash hole in the bottom of the case. Being Russian they are probably Tula and could be either Boxer or Berdan primed. If you see two small flash holes in the bottom of the case they are Berdan and you won't be able to do much with them unless you really want to do a bunch of work.

But better yet, .45 acp brass is pretty easy to come by - why not just buy some good stuff and make good ammo?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Mike,

The decapping/repriming isn't a problem if you have boxer primed brass ... just look for the central, single flash hole in the bottom of the case. Being Russian they are probably Tula and could be either Boxer or Berdan primed. If you see two small flash holes in the bottom of the case they are Berdan and you won't be able to do much with them unless you really want to do a bunch of work.

But better yet, .45 acp brass is pretty easy to come by - why not just buy some good stuff and make good ammo?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I tried 6 Wolf cases, they loaded as a brass case would and fired fine.

There was much more effort to size, I could see getting one stuck in the die and or breaking my Dillon.

Not worth the effort in my case.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Why bother with Steel or Aluminum cases for reloading? Brass cases are plentiful enough or they can be ordered or made if they are scarce. I really would not wish to ruin a die, or possibly a firearm. Not to mention the risk of injury. There are cautions out there advising against loading steel cases. One thing to think about is that the internal dimension might be different enough that the data would not be accurate enough to load them safely. I'm sure some people have tried it, but I'm not planning on it. I have all the stuff needed to decap and recap Berdan primers, including a supply of primers in varying sizes and types. I would not wish to try it on a steel or aluminum case. I reserve those for some hard to find cases made of brass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts