Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here ever had the opportuniy to actually go to Scotland and hunt Red Grouse on the Moors? Are they hunted simular to a driven phasent hunt in England? Do they make a big affair of the hunt with the dress and traditions? What gauge shotgun did you use? What size load and shot size? What does the Red Grouse taste like - - - - simular to Ruffed Grouse?

· Registered
3,105 Posts
I used to know a Gent that went every year, said it was wonderful to live like a civilized person for a brief time, liveried servants, dress for dinner, etc. Shot a matched pair of H&H's.

He could afford it, his wife was an heir to Albert Champion. Think spark plugs.

Pat

· Registered
6,254 Posts
Ach, I'd nae fash were I ta goo oot on th' Glorrrrrious Twelfth fer a wee grousie or two, laddie. Then it's off ta the pub fer haggis an' a wee dram o' Laphroaig!

· Vendor
1,506 Posts
Look up Dave Carrie shooting videos on YouTube. He has great films of a number of venues. Lots of shot footage.
Had an invite to partake in “The Glorious Twelfth “. Fee was $15,000. Pounds Sterling for a hundred brace (pairs). Didn’t count airfare (one always flies first class) to the Moors. Too rich for my blood. I did hang some advertising signs for the trip for others at our state shoot, got a few giggles.

· Registered
613 Posts
Hello all.
Although in lesser numbers, Red Grouse are not confined only to Scotland. There are far cheaper alternatives than buying "driven days" on a big Scottish moor, 45 miles from where I live there is a sheep farmer who has let me and 3 friends walk his rough upland with pointers. They are "covey birds" usually, although they can be up and on the wing in singles or 2's, 3's, 4's etc. Good quality "heather" is essential to hold grouse, have a look on wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_grouse that will give you a general view of the UK and Ireland info on them etc. Walked up behind a rock steady pointer will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Google would be your friend to research for small friendly red grouse shooting opportunities. Another alternative would be to offer a swap to invite someone who has access to grouse shooting in the UK to come over to the US to have go for a turkey or 2 or maybe a white tail. Thinking outside the box might be a advantage to find the right cost effective opportunity ? Yukon_870 I might be able to put you in touch with an old friend if you are that keen etc. ?
Thanks all
Phil

· Premium Member
15,903 Posts
I would caution taking mxsst at his word.

He has offered me numerous hunting opportunities in the UK - each and everyone of which fell through.

It goes well beyond just hunting, which I will not go in to, but disapointment has been the word of the day with Phil (mxsst).

· Registered
5,688 Posts
I would caution taking mxsst at his word.

He has offered me numerous hunting opportunities in the UK - each and everyone of which fell through.

It goes well beyond just hunting, which I will not go in to, but disapointment has been the word of the day with Phil (mxsst).
So I probably shouldn't go through with the swapping of an opportunity to pound some beaver here in the US for ruffling lots of rough red grouse hens over there?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

· Vendor
1,506 Posts
Had an invite to partake in “The Glorious Twelfth “. Fee was $15,000. Pounds Sterling for a hundred brace (pairs). Didn’t count airfare (one always flies first class) to the Moors. Too rich for my blood. I did hang some advertising signs for the trip for others at our state shoot, got a few giggles.
Same here. Was offered an invitation but would have required a second mortgage for a 100 brace.

· Premium Member
15,903 Posts
Well Murph,

Beaver pounding is a sport unto itself. While I have my personal experiences and opinions on hunting I would never interfere with someone else's pounding of beaver. Same goes for pursuing the Irish Redhead, nor the long legged Scottish lass -er-ah... Moor Grouse.

· Registered
613 Posts
Have sent you a PM Murphranch.
I am laughing about something else right now Re. the comments in one of the Jesse Stone episodes "the evidence is out there you just have to let it in"
Kind regards
Phil

· Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,182 Posts
I’ve gone on two trips with Jack Jansma of Wingshooting Adventures out of Michigan back in the early 2000’s..... the first was to Scotland, and my second trip was to Hungary to hunt driven pheasant. It’s truly an experience and something to strive for to do at least once. The landscape, the time-honored rituals, the history and shooting...... you really absorb it all and will never forget it.

Reactions: mxsst

· Registered
613 Posts
Unless you have a decent amount of dollars that you don't mind spending to shoot game in another country, the only other reasonable way would be when you have relatives or friends living in that other country with the same shooting or fishing interests as you, even then the air fares are not going to be cheap ? When the US Air Force had a big presence on the east coast of the UK at RAF Bentwaters & RAF Woodbridge during the Cold War they held skeet and trap shooting sessions that were open for a limited number of other UK shooting fans to attend by prior arrangements etc., spoke to several pilots and flight crew who loved that they were often invited to shoot partridge and pheasants locally to the bases for free. This was either 1968 or 69 eight of us from Morlais Valley Gun Club spent 3 days there on steel sprung camp beds and were treated with 5 star outstanding hospitality. Same applies to overseas worker who worked on the North Sea Oil Rigs, "you are in that country so you could include fishing or shooting on your wish list ?"
It must be a O/K place Jimmy Carter came to Wales to fish for "Sewin" with local fly fishing master Moc Morgan.
Thanks
Phil

· Registered
2,988 Posts
When the US Air Force had a big presence on the east coast of the UK at RAF Bentwaters & RAF Woodbridge during the Cold War they held skeet and trap shooting sessions that were open for a limited number of other UK shooting fans to attend by prior arrangements etc., spoke to several pilots and flight crew who loved that they were often invited to shoot partridge and pheasants locally to the bases for free.
I used to shoot trap and skeet at Bentwaters, Lakenheath, Alconbury, Ruislip, Upper Heyford and Croughton with the Americans right through the 1960s. Do I know you?

· Registered
613 Posts
I used to shoot trap and skeet at Bentwaters, Lakenheath, Alconbury, Ruislip, Upper Heyford and Croughton with the Americans right through the 1960s. Do I know you?
I am Welsh so I doubt whether we have met O-D-100, the weekend that we were there in 68 or 69 there was a skeet competition going on and I can still remember a Colonel flying in from Germany to take part, another strong memory of that weekend was seeing a young lad of about 12 to 15 years old shooting skeet with a pump or auto ? on a practice range, he was dusting nearly everything, think he was related to the Colonel. Something rings in the old grey cells that the fighters were the 1st or 2nd version of the Phantom jets. A brilliant weekend,
Thanks
Phil

· Registered
2,988 Posts
I am Welsh so I doubt whether we have met O-D-100, the weekend that we were there in 68 or 69 there was a skeet competition going on and I can still remember a Colonel flying in from Germany to take part, another strong memory of that weekend was seeing a young lad of about 12 to 15 years old shooting skeet with a pump or auto ? on a practice range, he was dusting nearly everything, think he was related to the Colonel. Something rings in the old grey cells that the fighters were the 1st or 2nd version of the Phantom jets. A brilliant weekend,
Thanks
Phil
OK. If you were only there once we probably haven't met. My 2-man skeet team partner in the early 1970s was an American Captain who was a pilot flying F4 Phantoms based at Bentwaters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.