Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
I have a collection of old English bamboo rods - slowly picked up in the UK over the years. These are the 'slow growth' Chinese bamboo that every rod maker still covets. (Yeah, I know - I never thought bamboo grew slowly...)

I have been in talks with Golden Witch about trading for one of their one-piece 6'2" bamboo PA trout rods...

Throw a J Ryall reel on it and off to the races on the tiny streams here in PA.
I used to make bamboo rods when I was in college. Helped to fund tuition. I had plenty of business for spring creek rods. Split, glue, wrap, pack and start on the next.

I may still have the planes, forms and splitters somewhere. If I run across them would you like them? I don't see myself ever building another bamboo rod again.

·
Premium Member
13,708 Posts
I used to make bamboo rods when I was in college. Helped to fund tuition. I had plenty of business for spring creek rods. Split, glue, wrap, pack and start on the next.

I may still have the planes, forms and splitters somewhere. If I run across them would you like them? I don't see myself ever building another bamboo rod again.

Wow, very kind offer. The rods I have are old, UK built ones made from old Chinese bamboo. I am told they should be de-laminated/de-glued, re-straightened, then re-glued/wrapped. You certainly have me thinking and in anticipation...

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
Here’s this years king salmon from the Pere Marquette in Michigan. 25 1/2 lbs.

We also like to fish for crappie in a friends small lake.

View attachment 1770231

View attachment 1770232
Fished that river a lot. Also Bear Creek, Manistee, Muskegon (got a 5lb brookie out of Paris Park). North Branch of Au Sable for the hex hatch. Been all over.

PM me if you ever go to the UP trout fishing and I'll tell you a place where the brookies are really big.

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
Wow, very kind offer. The rods I have are old, UK built ones made from old Chinese bamboo. I am told they should be de-laminated/de-glued, re-straightened, then re-glued/wrapped. You certainly have me thinking and in anticipation...

Thanks.
Don't break the glue unless it is coming apart. Refinishing is a different story. Use spar urethane not spar varnish - will never ship or peel. Some people use polyurethane varnish, but I think that is too heavy. Several very light coats with a brisk rubbing of the blank with four ought steel wool. Use silk thread for the wrapping.

NOW - do some checking on your rods. Some of them can be quite valuable. Leave those alone. Freshen up the others. If you want to lay eyes on some exquisite rods check out Oyster fly rods (they start around $4,500). IF you ever want to dive in head first, they offer a week long class where you will build one start to finish.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Boat Vehicle Smile Watercraft Motor vehicle

Lake Michigan steelhead caught halfway between Keewaunee and Ludington not long after I got out of the Army. 14# , 31" That was my Dad's boat at the time, we'd pull it out to the KOA in Keewaunee, and go up past Sturgeon Bay and down to Port Washington chasing kings mostly, but sure pulled in some cohos, steelhead, footballs, and lots of greaseballs. I miss the smoked ciscoes and chubs at Fiala's.
I used to love fishing off the pier at Keewaunee, and once fished off the USS Cobia in Manitowoc at 5 in the morning before they fenced it in good. Caught lots of browns (footballs) off the sail, but most of them shook themselves off the hook before I got them up that far.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
View attachment 1770247
Lake Michigan steelhead caught halfway between Keewaunee and Ludington not long after I got out of the Army. 14# , 31" That was my Dad's boat at the time, we'd pull it out to the KOA in Keewaunee, and go up past Sturgeon Bay and down to Port Washington chasing kings mostly, but sure pulled in some cohos, steelhead, footballs, and lots of greaseballs. I miss the smoked ciscoes and chubs at Fiala's.
I used to love fishing off the pier at Keewaunee, and once fished off the USS Cobia in Manitowoc at 5 in the morning before they fenced it in good. Caught lots of browns (footballs) off the sail, but most of them shook themselves off the hook before I got them up that far.
Thats a good looking fish.. Not taking it on you sir, but it has pissed me off for a decade that the Great Lakes have fishable runs and the native grounds in the Pac NW is so #*%&@ regulated you need to pack a lawyer to land a metal head. Errr..sorry the gross mismanagement in Washington and Oregon is unexcusible. Another rant for another day. Tip of the hat for your service.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
In April I bought a 1995 Ranger Bass boat, I had gone 17 years without a fishing boat.

One of the lakes we fish has Crappie, Spotted Bass and White Bass in it. With the little 2.8" KeiTech swimbaits we catch all 3 of these fish types.
IMG_0007 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr
IMG_0025 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr
A few weeks ago we caught 11 Crappie and 20 potted Bass on the little swimbaits. My wife caught the biggest Crappie it was 2.2 pounds.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I’ve always liked to fish and have gone to Saskatchewan for many years before the border fiasco. I fished Florida on the East side off-shore of Islamorada and love to fish. It’s easy because there’s no hills to climb, but I’m not sure if I can climb in a boat anymore. Walleye have always been a favorite when fried fresh the same day.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We bought a vacant wooded lot on our local lake back in November of last year. Hopefully we will get a house on it in the somewhat near future. We spend a lot of time out in the pontoon boat. The kids and I always make time for trying to catch some fish. Lil Princess skunked us all this past weekend. She can cast good too. Jr has caught some great bass. Pictured is his biggest to date. 10 lbs largemouth 26" long
Water Smile Shorts Natural environment Lake
Water Water resources White Lake Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
View attachment 1770247
Some of the very best fly fishing action you will ever have is the point where you can make it out on the pier and there is a little bit of water around it. The fish congregate there to eat the bugs that get frozen in and with the water melting the ice the bugs fall and the fish gorge.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
I fished bass tournament’s for many years but got sick of the ego-maniacs. I went completely saltwater (other than some spring and fall fly fishing for trout).
Water Boat Vertebrate Sky Fisherman
Water Sky Cloud Watercraft Boat
Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate Boat

·
Registered
486 Posts
Now I’m six feet tall so the above stripped bass was 46” and we had to release due to oversized, caught in Montauk NY, it’s a sleepy little drinking town with a fishing problem.

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Many years ago on Vancouver Island fishing with my Grandfather.....

Hat Jacket Food Fish Cap

·
5,550 Posts
I'll occasionally wet a line... 6wt for my bass fishing... wooly buggers or poppers...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts