Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing extremely slow USPS delivery lately?

I had a package take 5 days longer than "expected delivery" last week, and am waiting on a registered mail letter that should have been here Monday (according to "expected delivery"), but the last tracking info was that it was en route to a sorting facility in CA last Thursday. Also had a package get mis-routed to Tampa (it was going to TN) this week which added a few days to that shipment, so its both inbound and outbound shipments for me. Some Priority mail shipments are taking 2-3x as long as estimated by USPS as well.

It was pretty bad late November/early december, then pretty good for about 4 weeks, now its getting pretty bad again.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Something is going on Ian. Between business and personal I average 30-40 pieces of mail a day in my PO Box. The volume is heavier the first 10 days of the month, tapers off towards the end of the month. In the last two days, I have received exactly one envelope and it was not first class. I talked to the postmaster...he said, "we just deliver it."

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well the way they ship stuff around to sort and resort it is possible that the recent cold/snow event may have disrupted deliveries. We had no mail deliveries at all for the last two days but they redeemed themselves today and stuffed my mailbox with junk mail.

ctreay

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
A Priority package shipped last Friday from Ohio was delivered to me in Oregon the following Monday. That's pretty fast, especially considering the storm.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Winter weather tends to create bottlenecks and inconsistent delivery times. When I was working as a carrier we would cringe when you got no mail for a couple of days. Knew the other shoe was gonna drop. Bill

·
Premium Member
18,864 Posts
My wife ordered some tennis stuff, and it came in 7 days, via UPS. The box looked like they kicked it all the way here. It was beat all to hell, but the contents made it.

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
We haven't received mail delivery for the last 2 days at our business, which is in town. I'm going to the PO tomorrow to see the boss. Harv

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If it is like the town I live in they are trying to cut costs by cutting carriers. I receive my mail anywhere from 1:30 pm to almost 5:00 pm.
I see the regular carrier and different day off and vacation carriers. No two of them deliver the route the same way. Sometimes they come from direction and sometimes the other. And sometimes they do my side of the street first and sometimes it is the other side.

So now unless I hear my mailbox lid closing I wait until 4:30 to check for mail. Bud

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Got a package from Gamaliel recently, shipped USPS. The detour thru' Honululu, Hawaii between Kentucky and Montana took a bit longer than expected.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Slow is better than no show. No delivery for two days this week. I guess they couldn't handle the cold weather. HMB

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
There was an article in our Milwaukee paper this AM that said in the Midwest they only delivered first class mail during the deep freeze but they were going to start moving the rest today.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ian,

Turn back the clock to the spring of 2012.

I was notified on a Sunday evening that a certain piece of paper needed my signature on it, and sent back to Canandaigua, NY by the following Friday.

I went to our local Post Office the next day (Monday) and told them I wanted this sent Next Day Air..The lady told me to save my money, and send it Priority mail, and it would get there by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest.

DUMB me !!!

I did as she suggested...The damned letter sat in Columbia, SC from 7 O'clock Monday evening until 7 PM Friday. Delivered to Canandaigua office Saturday AM.

I won't tell you how many Thousands of $$$ that cost me from that blunder of mine. Arrived Too late !!!

Lesson learned on my part, and the PO would not even attempt to reetrieve that letter on my request Wednesday AM.

I followed the tracking, and the lady at the PO told me not to worry, they don't always get the scanning correct and it was probably on it's way...No recourse, even at the Postmaster General's office.

Wonder why they are loosing billions each year ???

Dave in SC

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had a buyer send me payment and he sent it 2 Day Priority Mail, from TX to VA, on New Years Eve. It took over a week to get it to me. For some reason the tracking info said it never left TX. But the buyer and I finally put some fire to the feet of the post office and my letter finally arrived. I suggested to him that he should ask for a refund of his money for paying for Priority Mail. Stuff happens with all carriers so I just shrugged it off. Good thing he had a tracking number for the letter.

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
Hi All,

I recently purchased an air rifle from gentleman in California. It was shipped on 1/3/2014...I have been checking everyday since then. The post office web site showed that the package was accepted in the local post office on 1/3/2014 when the gentleman dropped it off. There has been no additional information posted on the web site since then. The estimated delivery date was 1/7/2014. I just checked the web site now and it is showing me that the package just left California TODAY! It is not showing any estimated delivery date! 8 days and it is now just leaving it's point of origin. And now the post office is rasing thier rates on everything the 16th of this month. So stock up on your Forever stamps!

The Great Post office at work again!

Stu

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

·
Supporting Vendor
1,294 Posts
Rain, sleet, snow or hail...............................

Two Priority packages that I sent this week got to West Virginia and Ohio in two and three days from Oregon. The PM I sent 400 miles to Reno got there in five days. Makes sense to me!! Happy for the East Coast results in the face of the weather.

Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
It took my post office a week to deliver a box that was in there building delivered to them by ups , but I saved $5.00 on the shipping from midway . It came all the way to our post office in less time then it took them to deliver it 1/2 a mile to me. Gary

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
USPS.....Usually Super Poor Service.

Just wait until they start delivering health care......

If it's time sensitive, FedEx or UPS period. The government should be your last
option.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Daddio,

Worse thing about this whole operation is my Dad was the Superintendant of Mails in our home town years ago, and my grand-daddy was the Post Master in the same PO in the '30's.

Don't think they aren't rolling over in their graves today with these issues.

Dave in SC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts