Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a Winchester Super X3 20 gauge to used mainly for dove hunting and an occasional duck hunt. I am thinking of getting the basic Black Shadow model and having it Cerekoted. Has anybody had a shotgun Cerekoted? How did it work out/hold up? Would you do it again? Is there a tougher/better finish to put on a hunting shotgun? Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A friend has had two of his Perazzi trap guns done, looks great and sure keeps the rust away! I have several rifles done in Cerakote and love the stuff, any color you want and it wears like iron. After using some of the other coatings over the years I think Cerakote is hands down the best. Do it, you won't regret it.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Doug Braker, (GunDr), has. It is the best in my opinion. The thinnest, most durable finish out there. Like any other coating though, preparation and finish are important.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I believe Steve W. On here has had some Perazzi's coated, and they looked awesome. If I'm not mistaken, he had Kentucky Gun Coatings (link above) do the work...there prices seem very reasonable. Garrett

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have an old Citori Trap that I would like to have cerekoted. Do you have suggestions as to who to use and what their location is? Thanks, Martinpicker

·
Registered
14,678 Posts
A friend had his Perazzi done. He had to file some of the finish off to get it to close easier. The material evidently has some thickness.

The finish was flat black, and they did a beautiful job.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Cerakote is widely used on tactical weapons, race gun shooters mostly have them on, many factories have some tactical models Cerakoted under their own names. Colt, Sig, Remington, to name a few.

This Perazzi MX-8 was completely Cerakoted by Kentucky GunCoating couple years ago. $175~195 including disassembling and reassembling. If you send Rick spare springs, he'll change them for you before reassembling.

Cerakote will add 1/1000" thickness to the surface, your gun will be tighter for sure.

Based on my experiences, Cerakote can keep almost everything from leaving prints on your gun, I don't have to wipe it down after shooting, no powder residue around porting holes.

Many color to choose, but not in "glossy", if they add too much harden agent to make it glossy, it'll increase the chance of chipping.

stevew_2008_0303280.jpg

·
5,228 Posts
Braker did my 90T... great, durable beautiful finish...

j.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I talked to Rick at ky gun coat this morning, super nice guy willing to answer all my questions, and great prices to boot. He will definitely get my 90t in a few weeks.

Brad

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Cerekote did some amazing marketing at the Shot Show. First time I ever saw advertising on the interior surfaces of a urinal. I am serious. Somebody else here must have seen it too.

Bob

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Actually Rick pick that color for me, I have no idea what's the name of it. I got lost picking colors on his website .

Here's another one done by him @$75 just the receiver of a type IV MT6. Again, he picked the color for me. I forgot to ask him do the trigger and top lever in black, I think it'll look better. Rick is a nice guy, he and his brother did all the work them self. He said he rarely sees Perazzi before, now he got two in a month.

stevew_2008_0303282.jpg

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will take the Super X3 to Kentucky Gun Coatings when it arrives. I want to see their operation and colors. Thanks to everyone for their responses. Cerekote looks like the way to go.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
That's a good looking 90-T !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts