Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
The 1100 receiver looks great. How much prep work on the receiver to yield such a smooth outcome? Big up charge?
JK, the simple answer is that I don't know how much difference in price there was because the receiver and barrel were in rather rough condition. The metal parts need to go through a very thorough degreasing process prior to application of the Cerakote coating and I'm under the impression that many vendors bead-blast the parts to remove surface imperfections and oxidation. I don't recall whether the vendor examined the parts before giving me a price or if we did that over the phone. I know the Model 1100 was more expensive than the Model 870 I had done later, but I think that may have been because the disassembly of the semi-auto was slightly more complex than the pump gun.

I would certainly avoid a 'cut rate' application, because the shortcuts that allow the vendor to lower their price are probably all in the preparation of the parts prior to applying the coating and that prep process is what separates a really good result from a 'not bad' outcome. I think I spent $275 to have the 1100 done and about $200 for the 870. The 870 had no rust, but the bluing was a little battered.

Hope that is helpful!
Pete

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would definitely recommend have someone professional do it. The metal should be bead blasted as stated above then degreased with acetone or something similar. YouTube the cerakote process. They have a video explaining the process. Ask whoever is coating your gun how they plan on doing it. The prices quoted above are spot on. Some guys will give you a break on price if you break the gun down completely yourself and reassemble.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I am certainly looking for a first class pro job. My new to me 870 receiver has some dings in it that I would like to have fixed as part of the prep part of the job so when finished it looks like new perfect.

Who is the best out there considering the ding fix issue?

Thanx,

jk

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Who is the best out there considering the ding fix issue?
I used local vendors so I could drop off the parts without going through a lot of hassle in shipping. You could use the Cerakote Find an Applicator function on their website or someone close to you may be able to recommend a vendor. I used All Terrain Firearms in Truckee, California for the 870 - John did excellent work. I did get turned down by a couple of large, industrial outfits who weren't interested in a one-off job.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had my 22 year old 390 done recently...really like the way it turned out...gave the old bird gun a new look...

·
Registered
234 Posts
So, here is my “Try” at getting it done right. I met with 4 different Cerekote groups and settled on a Local company to do the work. At the same time, I ordered a PFS with grade 2 English walnut wood furniture. I still need to get the wood re-finished to get a better match, but maybe this can serve as a reference for others in my shoes. I can go into detail on some of my reservations looking back, but here’s some of the pics.

E69E00BF-8C84-4B63-BD2F-987F91D61582.jpeg
44490BA7-B2D5-4B63-BD5C-4EDBF1AC4764.jpeg
812F3AC3-4D50-496E-8717-70634AC0D4FD.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Should also add, feel free to PM me on any specific questions. I don’t want to drag the thread off topic from the original poster.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks,

This is a Tungsten Grey, with a black mixed in over the top, and i think the inertia lock, trigger blade and take down pin are simply gold

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife loves and shoots her A400, she recently saw someone Cerekote their O/U and asked about it.
She found a dark teal color that she likes and would like to have it done to make it even more hers however she is worried that she will "squirrel" or get sidetracked.
we both assume it would only take a little time to get used to but I figured I would ask here for any first hand experience.
I have had several of my shotguns Cerekote'd and could not be happier. They are all in grey or dark colors and look great; the finish has been very tough/long lasting. If you want teal, do it! It will look great...if you can keep your eyes off of it while shooting is the real question.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a 391 that I bought used that I had the barrel cerakoted in a satin black color. It is a synthetic stocked field version that the finish on the barrel was rough due to what I suspect was use in the duck blind

looks really nice now.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts