Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves and shoots her A400, she recently saw someone Cerekote their O/U and asked about it.
She found a dark teal color that she likes and would like to have it done to make it even more hers however she is worried that she will "squirrel" or get sidetracked.
we both assume it would only take a little time to get used to but I figured I would ask here for any first hand experience.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have a Browning o/u that has been ceracoated and it looks terrific. It was done in black however so can't comment on what the color might do to one's focus.

K

·
Registered
59 Posts
My buddy did an older Perazzi that he was working on, I saw it last night and it looks great!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I bought a somewhat rusty Remington Model 1100 in 20 gauge and had it Cerakoted. It turned out great. It's in Sniper Gray, but I bet a teal finish would look fabulous.

My wife has been shooting it and although she might like to blame her misses on the color of the gun, I'm not buying it. I don't imagine that a dark teal barrel would be distracting in the least. I also have an 870 that's been Cerakoted - same dark gray color - and it turned out equally well. Just find a gunsmith or Cerakoting vendor that has been factory trained and certified by Cerakote. They might charge a little more than a hobbyist or part-time practitioner, but correct preparation is everything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I sent my (former) TriStar TT15 back to them to fix the crooked rib (long story), in liew of rebluing it they cerakoted the barrel after moving and re-soldering the front rib post. I wasn't happy they had taken a shortcut but I will admit the finish did look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Cerakote in the right color can closely resemble the rust blue found on Perazzi barrels or the deep black on Beretta’s. Colors & patterns abound. It’s only the stubborn clinging to correctness that prevented me from saving a ton of cash & time from cerakoting my own barrels.
Cerakote is to the modern firearms finish what Mobile 1 was to motor oil.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with Cerakote. While it doesn't wear off, if it's put on with a matte finish, it will wear shiny as your hands basically polish the finish.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Cerakoting is fine, but watch out for "off" colors on the barrel or rib, anything that distracts from your target vision is a problem. She may not notice it over time as she becomes use to it. Before you do it, buy a roll of duct tape or something similar in color to what she wants and run strip down each side of the barrel and down the rib. Be sure she wears her shooting glasses if she shoots with color or tinted lenses while trying it. I had a barrel that was a very dull sliver color and even with a black rib it was distracting sometimes.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I bought a somewhat rusty Remington Model 1100 in 20 gauge and had it Cerakoted. It turned out great. It's in Sniper Gray, but I bet a teal finish would look fabulous.

My wife has been shooting it and although she might like to blame her misses on the color of the gun, I'm not buying it. I don't imagine that a dark teal barrel would be distracting in the least. I also have an 870 that's been Cerakoted - same dark gray color - and it turned out equally well. Just find a gunsmith or Cerakoting vendor that has been factory trained and certified by Cerakote. They might charge a little more than a hobbyist or part-time practitioner, but correct preparation is everything.

View attachment 1746960 View attachment 1746961
The 1100 receiver looks great. How much prep work on the receiver to yield such a smooth outcome? Big up charge?

Thanx,

jk

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Cerakote barrel will not be more distracting than those bright light florescent front sights.

Don't worry too much about the color, Cerakote is not shining.
I shot a SS barrel BT couple times, that silver color SS barrel didn't affect anything.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
My wife loves and shoots her A400, she recently saw someone Cerekote their O/U and asked about it.
She found a dark teal color that she likes and would like to have it done to make it even more hers however she is worried that she will "squirrel" or get sidetracked.
we both assume it would only take a little time to get used to but I figured I would ask here for any first hand experience.
Had my Perazzi MX7 sporting clays gun done to cut down on the sun glare when shooting clays. Helped a lot.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
While I am a blued steel guy. I will admit that anything done correctly will at least look good.

Pink or Smurf Blue are not my thing. Neither are runs drips fish eyes and a bunch of other problems that show up with a spray on liquid application.

So use a better than good painter, that has dust free environment (paint booth) and get it done RIGHT if that is your choice.
The instructions with the spray coatings read "lightly scoff or abraid the serface". The scratchy pad on a new kitchen sponge will prep the surface correctly. But my experience with taking a a coated barrel back to factory bluing finish. Has more often than not gotten me into something that had envolved a course abrasive under power as bubba's prep for coating.

Al

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a couple Ljutic mono guns that I had black cerekote on and they looked great and the finish really held up well here in the wet NW!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts