Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been for the last six months using 1 oz. #9 loads for the first shot. My scores are not consistent enough to tell if this helps me pick up extra birds. Nines seem to break clays just as hard as eights at first bird distances. I use #8s for the second bird.

Thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,149 Posts
I’ve never used 9s for anything aside from skeet a few times. 8s for everything close, 7.5 for caps. Shot is close enough should be fine, but I doubt you’ll find many high level doubles shooters using 9s.

·
Administrator
8,547 Posts
One of my favorite hand loads for first shot of doubles is a 7/8 of 8.5 shot. Nice low recoil and no issues breaking the first bird in doubles. If Iam not using a hand load then a standard Fiochi 1 oz. of 8s does the job just fine.

Some of it would depend on how fast you shoot the first bird, I have seen some older shooters who take the first bird at a fair distance out of the house and definitely I would not want to be using 1 oz of nines at a singles distance which is what some folks who take the first target a bit more out of the house are taking it.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
At a time when I found myself with a few bags of #9 shot I loaded it to use for first shot of doubles. Worked just fine. NO discernible effect on scores in either direction.
I tend to shoot that first bird real quick.

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
#9s Will work but I don't think you will see a lot of people using them. When I quit shooting Skeet in competition over a a of quarter century ago ,I used up what 9s I had left for 16 yd. on trap. Didn't change my average either way. That said, I think I would go with 8.5s for the first shot in doubles if I wanted an increased in pellet count. As for me ,I guess I'm just too lazy to change a lot. I just shoot 8s for everything except on cold windy days when I might shoot 71/2s.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I’m with George on the light 8.5’s. 9’s work just fine for first shot, so do 8’s.

Missing the first bird has nothing to do with the use of 8’s, 8.5’s, or 9’s.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I sometimes use 9’s on first shot of doubles, they work just fine and I really like using them.
But as others have said, so do 7.5’s, 8’s, 8.5’s.
My misses on first birds have nothing to do with the brand of shell or what size shot I used.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I sometimes use 9’s on first shot of doubles, they work just fine and I really like using them.
But as others have said, so do 7.5’s, 8’s, 8.5’s.
My misses on first birds have nothing to do with the brand of shell or what size shot I used.

Agreed- the only thing worse than missing a “first bird” for any reason, is hearing the dreaded “lost pair”

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Agreed- the only thing worse than missing a “first bird” for any reason, is hearing the dreaded “lost pair”
For anyone relatively new to shooting doubles, let me advise you that you will have to develop the ability to “accept” a lost first bird now and then without letting it affect your move to the second target or you’ll find a lot of “ lost-a-pair “ calls in your future.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
In my view, l would like to know what choke is used, and the time/distance the first bird is shot before the answer is presented.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I shot 1 oz of 9s the other day from the 27yd and had a 22. Wasn’t my first choice but I was out of my other shells. I have been shooting 9 shot from the 16yd with just fine results. My preference is 8s but I have about 10 bags of 9s.
Another guy I shoot with has shot 7/8oz of 9s for his first shot of doubles for as along as I can remember. He gets solid breaks. Personally I think 9s are just fine from 16 yd

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been for the last six months using 1 oz. #9 loads for the first shot. My scores are not consistent enough to tell if this helps me pick up extra birds. Nines seem to break clays just as hard as eights at first bird distances. I use #8s for the second bird.

Thoughts or opinions?
Give 8-1/2's a try - I use them for the first shot of doubles at 1-1/8's and a VERY light load and the results have been quite good. Something about 9's just rub me wrong... I am sure it is mental since I associate 9's with skeet only. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts

Thoughts or opinions?
You may not be hurting yourself by using 9's depending on choke and target acquisition, but the only way your helping yourself if it's mental confidence by using them.

Personally, I'm timid with the use of them and have significant confidence in 8.5's.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts

Thoughts or opinions?
I like 8's for the first shot of doubles. I can use the same shell for singles.

Keep it simple.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I use #9 for my first shot in doubles, 7/8 load with Alliant extra lite, if your on them like you should it's a huge smoke..... course i still suck at doubles.....

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
All of this doubles talk in the last week or so is driving me crazy ! :1581:
I haven't shot any doubles since November... :17:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use 7/8 oz of 9s for first shot of doubles. I moved from 8s to 9s, and I feel like I get more smoked targets, but not sure I pick up any birds though...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts