Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried the new Remington Hevi-Steel. Supposedly this is an alternative to Hevi Shot at a lesser cost. I save Hevi Shot for wary mallards over River Bottoms asnd large Geese, but shoot steel for everything else. How does Hevi-Steel compare in price etc. Just wondering, thanks.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Hevi steel is a mix of hevi-shot and steel. We have great luck on big ducks to 40yrds with #4 and Geesse with B's pattern your gun and use the most choke you can.Jeff

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
miketmx, It is my understanding that the two about the same in density and kenetic energy . While they are SLIGHTLY less expensive than Hevi-Shot, it is still fairly pricy. Prices seem to run abot 5 to 8 bucks per flat less over all from what Iv'e seen compared to Hevi-Shot, at least in the catalogs I have seen. It may be better in stores buying it per box. Not many people around here using it yet. bigbore, I'm with you on the choke selection. I never got great results with "opened up" chokes for steel. There were still some holes in the paper when patterened with #2s and larger of the steel/iron shot. I usually stay with IMP-MOD or at the very LEAST modified.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I have tried hevi steel- its 3 times as expensive as some steel shot- I dont think it is any better

I have tried Black cloud- its 2/3 of heavy steel and I think it is superior to regular steel and hevi steel- its good to 35 yards or so in a 12 gauge load- further with large shot sizes

So bottom line- Maybe Black Cloud- I kind of like it

Save your money on hevi steel

There is no cheap alternative to bismuth or various tungsten blends though

regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Registered
583 Posts
I like the Hevi-steel for ducks. At $28 to $35 per 25 vs $28-$35 per 10 for hevi-shot. I save the hevi-shot for geese.

jh

·
Registered
270 Posts
We use heavy steel 3.5" "b" with good luck on long range canadas. I like 3" heavy steel 2's for ducks and SODAK pheasants where non tox is required.

·
Banned
717 Posts
If you hit them with the center of the pattern, anything works. Find the cheapest shell/choke combo that patterns well and shoot it at everything. Don't get too hung up on shot size - but stay with #3's or larger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.